Chapter 1

Possession

It was the first day of my four-year journey through high school at Seoul High. I had my head held high as I was reading my high school entrance speech to the entire class of 2015. It was such a nice feeling to know that I entered high school with the top score. I wouldn't say that I am a genius, but rather, I worked really hard, days and nights to get the score that I got. Most people thoguht that I was a pathetic loser with that score. But I wasn't exactly an antisocial. I was just really busy with studying. And yes, I do have friends, two to be exact. Park Sanghyun, my childhood friend who I grew up with. I would've called him my big brother had we looked more alike. That was how close we are. My other friend is Lee Chaerin. We met in middle school and we've been friends since. 

I saw Sanghyun and Chaerin smiling at me in the front row as I was reading the speech that took me two weeks long to prepare. My speech was flowing through nicely when the doors suddenly opened and blinded me with white sunlight. I stopped. All heads turned towards the door. All eyes, including mine, were watching and waiting with much confusion as two boys made their way down to the two empty seats in the first row. I could immediately made out who they were. Wearing the school's blue uniform was Choi  Seunghyun, the only son, the future heir of Seoul High's president (who also happened to own Seoul University). His tie was missing though. One point off, if I was a teacher. The other one walking next to him was Kwon Jiyoung who is destined to inherite the CEO position at Seoul Hospital upon his college graduation. He had his uniform on correctly. But so was everyone else. No points for him. Anyways, they're bestfriends. Not much surprise there. What made me mad was that they interupted my glorious moment that I worked so hard and so long to achieve. Whatever. They were not of my concerns. 

Things resumed as they both sat down. I proceeded to continue with my speech. Despite the rude and disrepectful interruption made by the two ignorant rich kids, I finished my speech with much professionalism. "The next four years of our life will be rocks and mountains, and sometimes storms and thunders. But remember that after each storms, the sky will brighten up again." I finsihed my speech and bowed my head at a perfect ninety degree before a crowd of people cheering and clapping.

I looked at the students for the last time with a slight smile before proceeding to walk down the stage when a voice shouted, "you! stay right where you are." My body froze exactly righ at the spot. I wasn't sure why I was obeying the voice's command, but I did ... whoever voice it was. I didn't dare to move my body, but I did turn my head just enough to see the person talking to me. The entire class was as surprised as I was. No, I think I was more surprised. Choi Seunghyun was pointing to me with his right index. A hurricane formed in my mind as I was trying to analyze his unexpected actions. What could he possibly trying to achieve? I mean, I had never done anything to set him off. I didn't even know anything regarding his existence until I was admitted to this school. My bad luck. I wanted to attend the other high school opposite side from this school. But I was unfortunate enough to live only four miles from Seoul High so I had no choice but to study here. I was still lost in these thoughts when he grabbed my hand and pulled me back onto the stage. We were standing in front of the microphone when he announced, "listen carefully. This girl--" he turned his head back to me, his eyes scanned my face down to my chest, and to my name tag attached on my uniform, "--Ahn Sohee belongs to me." He ended his speech, walked down the stairs, and left with his bestfriend. I was left standing alone on stage, dumbfounded and bewildered. 

This was not what I had imagined for the start of my four "supposedly amazing" years of high school. I was supposed to study hard, get good grades, get into a four-year university. I was supposed to be untouched by any problems. But of course, it was just my bad luck. I knew that I didn't want to go to this high school. Mother, why had you betrayed me? Why did we have to live so close to this damn high school? You've ruined me. 

Life was a torture after that unfortunate event. People around school gossiped about me, judged me, and were afraid of me. Seriously? Even Sanghyun, my childhood friend was forbidden to come near me within a ten-feet radius. Only Chaerin was allow to be with me. This had to be the worst and most stupid thing that ever happened to me. But of course, no one can say anything or fight against it. Why you ask? Because I'm a nobody, and because going against Choi Seunghyun is going against your own life. The weird thing was, he never actually did anything to me. He demanded that I pack my own homemade lunch for him and eat lunch with him. Who did this crazy, spoiled brat think he is? He was filthy rich, why can't he buy his own lunch? I was not his slave, damn it! Another strange thing was that he somehow managed to be in all the same classes as I was. He always sat behind me, monitored me, and guarded me as if I was his prisoner. I didn't understand him. I couldn't understand him. What was he thinking ... what was going through his mind. He seemed really cold and distance. He didn't talk much. He was like a shadow following me everywhere. He was a mystery. I was curious, but I knew better than to be, so I never asked or made any comment.

That was my first year experience in high school. until he strangly disappeared on the last day of the semester; just right before our summer vacation. No one ever knew why, and no one bothered to ask. It was the Choi family after all.

My life resumed to normal (as it should). But people still tried their best to avoid me. I didn't mind it at all since my main focus wasn't making friends, anyways. Sanghyun came back to my circle, though. That was nice. And so I continued to push through the next three years of my high school life.

That was my life four years ago. Now, I am a first year psychology student at Seoul University. Finally, a taste of adulthood! There was no word to describe the excitement I feel inside. I bought my books (which cost a fortune), notes and pens, and everything Seoul University's student store has to offer. Today was my freshman orientation day and I can't believe I'm about to be ... LATE! Goddamn this student store for selling way too many cute things.

I'm was running with all my might in my brand new Reebok sneakers (mom's college present) to the front row seat. There was still one seat left, awesome! I sat my down, controlled my breathing, put my bag from the student store away, situated my posture and prepared my ears for the speech. I quickly inhaled one long breath when the speaker walked on stage, and stopped my breathing just as fast when my eyes recognized that the speacker is none other than Choi Seunghyun himself.

What?!

This was not some deja vu in reserve is it?!

Am I dreaming a nightmare, someone slaps me awake.

Kill me now!