I Loved You Once

I Loved You Once

 

Eager. Impatient. Lonely. He'd just broken up with his boyfriend, again, and came crying to me. I'd had feelings for him for over a year and now that I've decided to try and forget about him this happens. We're in the hallway behind the theatre of our school and I'm against the cold brick walling.

"Minho, have you ever kissed anyone?" No, I like you. You're the first person I've ever liked this much- why would I kiss anyone else?

"No." That's all I managed to say. This conversation continues on paining me as I shoved my hands deeper into my pockets. I can feel the stress I'm putting on the seam, but I don't care. I push my foot harder into the wall, if he wasn't my best friend I would have ran already.

"I bet I'm a better kisser than you." Probably, you've had a boyfriend.

"Nuh-uh!" There goes my pride and competitive side.

"Heck yes I am!"

"Not a chance!"

"Wanna bet?"

"Yeah! I'll take that bet!" That's all it took. Suddenly his lips were on mine, I normally held the upper hand but he had taken control. He slammed his tongue into my mouth as I pulled my hands out of my pockets and wrapped them around his waist pulling him closer. There was no way I was letting this go. Mouths moving, tongues fighting, bodies grinding. Suddenly he pushed me into the wall with his arms around my neck, that's when something in me clicked- this is wrong. I love him, but he doesn't love me. They broke up, but it's only temporary- it's always temporary. I pulled away from gasping for air, I have to give up on him.

"Let's call it a tie?" He winked. Then leaned forward and gave me a peck on the lips. No. That can't happen.

"Yeah, a tie. Hey Key, I have to go. I promised my friend Taemin that he could teach me something today. So... I'll talk to you later, alright?" It has to be alright, I have to get away, you aren't mine- you never will be.

"Sure thing, Minho! Talk to you later." He smiled. I waved goodbye and ran off- I wasn't lying. I really do have to meet Taemin today, but that meeting isn't for another two hours.

~*~*~*~

~Two Months Later~

"Minho, I can't go back to Onew this time. This is it, we're really done." Key sobbed into my shoulder as I tried to calm him down.

"Key you can't give up on him like this. I thought you loved him? You have to trust the one you love." Truth is, I already gave up on you. I can't like you, I know that. Onew is the guy for you, Key.

"That's the thing Minho, I don't love Jinki anymore."

"What? Key, you've been dating him for more than a year! What do you mean you don't love him anymore? That's insane."

"No, it's not. I shared a kiss with someone close to me a little while back and after that my feelings started to change. I stopped loving Jinki and started loving him."

I shook my head, "That's not possible Key, that would mean cheating on Onew-hyung."

"Not when Jinki and I were in the middle of one of our breaks." My eyes widened as I remembered the afternoon from two months ago- there is no way.

"What are you saying, Key?"

"Minho, I think I love you."

I felt a pang in my chest. I'm pretty sure that was my heart breaking. I take a deep breath and prepare myself for even more heartache, "Key, you don't love me. You've distracted yourself with me. You love Onew-hyung you're just hurt and upset. You both get angry and decide to break up at least once a month, but you forget to talk things out. I've just always been there for you when you needed a shoulder to cry on. The only thing you need right now from me is friendship, you will go back to Onew eventually."

There were tears in Key's eyes, "How can you say that? I just confessed to you- and you're rejecting me? I thought you liked me?"

I froze, "What?"

"There was a day you fell asleep next to me when we were watching TV and you started talking in your sleep. You confessed to me, Minho. That was before I realized these feelings."

I shook my head. "Key, I care for you, a lot. What you are feeling... your feelings are just displaced. We are friends, that's all we ever will be- you love Onew-hyung. If you can't see that, I'm going to have to leave right now." This really does hurt.

"I-I- I don't know what to say."

"Go home, go to bed, think about it tomorrow. But for now, I have to go. I'll talk to you... later." I led him out of the cafe and watched as he walked to his house- just across the street. "Goodbye Key." I whispered as I walked home myself.