Lights (VJin)

12 Days of Bangtan

Taehyung kept his eyes on Seokjin; he tried to be patient but time was passing so slowly. Seokjin promised to take him into the city to see the Christmas lights tonight but he refused to leave until it was dark. Never in his life had Taehyung wished for it to be night more than now. Anticipation was building in his veins and the longer he waited, the less he was able to calm himself. How Seokjin couldn’t be overcome with excitement was beyond Taehyung’s comprehension. He kept himself distracted by watching his hyung as he concentrated on his game, taking note of every change in his facial expression and every detail in his face that he had restrained himself from noticing before. Seokjin was beautiful; the longer someone looked at him, the more obvious that became. After a while, Seokjin took notice and glanced down at Taehyung; he quickly averted his eyes as a he felt his face heat up. With nothing to do, and the fear of embarrassing himself by getting lost in Seokjin’s beauty again, Taehyung shut his eyes. He laid there and thought; he thought about the lights, he thought about Seokjin, he thought about walking with him – side by side with his arm locked around his hyung lovingly – he thought until all those thoughts turned into dreams and he had drifted off to sleep.

“Taehyung-ah, wake up,” Seokjin shook the boy lightly, “come on, I’m not a pillow. Wake up or I won’t take you to see the Christmas lights.”

“Hyung,” Taehyung groaned as he opened his eyes, “what time is it?”

“It’s 6 o’clock,” Seokjin smiled and pet Taehyung’s head.

“Really?” Taehyung sat up enthusiastically, “so that means we can go see the lights now?”

“Yes,” Seokjin smiled.

Taehyung nearly jumped up off the couch before running to his room to get ready. He fixed his hair and pulled a large sweater on over his shirt. Seokjin smiled and got up to grab his coat that he had hung on the coat rack in the entryway next to a scarf he had left there from last night. When Taehyung returned from the room, he saw Seokjin waiting for him at the door. Seokjin grabbed the scarf and wrapped it around Taehyung’s neck.

“Thanks hyung,” Taehyung smiled brightly before Seokjin leaned in and placed a kiss on the top of his head.

“We’re off,” Seokjin yelled to the rest of the dorm.

They closed the door behind them and headed into the cold winter night. Taehyung clung to Seokjin, thanking him repeatedly for taking him to go see the lights. He didn’t mind that Hoseok had already taken Jimin, Jungkook had convinced Namjoon to take him, and he was basically the last person to see them except for Yoongi, who insisted he wanted nothing to do with a place full of people and that he was too swag for Christmas lights – but Taehyung was positive that a good part of it was just because Yoongi was lazy. The only other person who hadn’t gone to see the lights was his lovely Seokjin hyung. That was fine with him; as long as Taehyung got to go with Seokjin, he didn’t mind being last.

Festive window displays caught Taehyung’s eye as they walked. Luckily, Seokjin was patient and understanding so he stopped to let him look at them. The large city square lights appeared to be getting brighter and the closer they approached, the more hyper Taehyung became.

“I can see the top of the tree hyung,” he pulled on Seokjin’s arm and pointed at the sky in the close distance. A large white star shined over the building.

When they finally reached the square, Taehyung’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped slightly. Seokjin laughed at his reaction; he was still a child at heart. Long strands of blue lights hung from the tops of building and light posts were covered with tinsel and bows. In the center, a gigantic tree towered over many of the surrounding shops; it was decked out with blue and white lights and large ornaments – more than anyone could be bothered to count. Taehyung ran off to get a closer look at everything with wonder plastered on his face and delight in his eyes.

“Taehyung-ah, wait, come back,” Seokjin chuckled and ran after him.

“It’s so beautiful hyung,” Taehyung turned to him and smiled.

He wandered about for over an hour, awe-struck by the shining lights and decorations inside and out of the shops. Everything was so beautiful during Christmas. Seokjin watched over him careful, trying to keep up with his pace – afraid of losing him in the crowd. Taehyung dragged him from place to place until it seemed that they had gone around the entire square.

“Wasn’t it pretty?” Taehyung asked. Seokjin nodded and smiled. Secretly, he was just happy that he wasn’t being dragged around anymore.

“Shall we go home?”

“Do we have to?”

“I’m afraid so, there’s nothing else here to see,” Taehyung pouted. Seokjin caressed his cheek and smiled, “it’s alright. We can come back next year, I promise. It’ll be even better next time.”

“You promise?”

“Of course,” Seokjin pet Taehyung’s head.

“Alright,” he smiled and took hold of Seokjin’s arm, “let’s go home.”

They started back towards the dorm. A few minutes in, Taehyung was growing tired. Seokjin kneeled down, offering to carry him the rest of the way home. He agreed and wrapped his arms around Seokjin’s neck; he was warm and he smelled sweet. Taehyung could feel himself falling asleep.

“Hyung,” he yawned, “thanks for taking me today.”

“No problem Taehyung-ah,” Seokjin hummed.

“I love you hyung,” Taehyung nuzzled into Seokjin’s neck.

“I love you too.”