MINSEOK I

INTROSPECTIVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

(BACKSTORY)

(26) MINSEOK I


 

“They’re just terrible... I heard that the father gambled all of his money away again.”

Their whispers were frowned upon by the people passing by, trying their best to ignore the two chatterboxes as they gossiped right outside the apartment complex. It was beginning to get hot and none of the apartments were allowed to have air conditioners, resulting in the two women having to spend their days digging their nails into sweat soaked handkerchiefs  as they basked in the cool air outside. If you wanted to get to the elevator, you’d have to enter into the lobby and pass them on the way. Luckily, this wasn’t the case for a certain young boy who lived right on the second floor.

“Really? That must be why his mother has been going out so much. Selling herself for money, it’s despicable...”

Minseok sighed, tightening the hold on the straps of his worn out backpack. The corners were barely being held together by staples and a couple of clumped up glue sticks that he had melted in the microwave. He didn’t know that they’d turn sticky in the sun and did his best to hide the dried glue in his sweaty palms, shielding it from the light.

“O-Oh, little Minnie!” One woman gasped, her voice hitching higher until she sounded like she would burst. “Did you finish school?”

He nodded his head slowly and shied away from their manicured nails, choosing to stay a safe distance away so they wouldn’t be able to touch him. “I should be going now… My parents would be worried.”

Giving a short bow, he made sure to have his head dip down enough so that he would show enough respect. The two women giggled and waved him off, fake smiles melting like the glue in Minseok’s hands as he climbed up the ladder to his apartment. He usually went this way since there was a clear path for him outside and he never really liked encountering the women, but as for today, the rest of his good luck had run out once he stepped foot on the property.

“Poor boy. He doesn’t have any parents to worry for him.”

Some people would think that a screen door wouldn’t be soundproof, but not his two neighbors. They went on and on about gossip and the latest new thing. His family just happened to be the unfortunate target.

“Mom! Dad! I’m home!”

His voice was barely hearable over the buzz of the TV, but both parents had heard him loud and clear, mumbling their hellos through bitefuls of cheesecakes and cream puffs.

It was actually a pretty normal routine; Minseok would arrive home, climb up the steps, and overhear the same two ladies gossiping from the ledge outside his room. He knew what parents they spoke of, but never felt resentment towards his mother and father. It was more of a dull feeling, if anything.

Diving into his bag for homework, Minseok made sure to finish every worksheet that was given to him for the day, stopping when he realized that he was finishing everything in the dark, only being able to see from the light that trickled in from the window. Time always flew by when he was distracted, and he had to blink away the dryness in his eyes before stumbling to a stand to turn on the light.

After properly putting away his work into his bag, it was time for a little snack before bed. The fridge was empty as usual, and the only sort of food he could see was the giant bucket of cheese balls sitting atop his dad’s lap.

“You want some?” He asked, the offer kind enough, but Minseok rejected it after seeing how orange his fingers were. “We ordered Chinese takeout while you were at school if you want to eat that. Just have to pop it into the microwave.”

Leave it to his dad to always have a backup plan. He gave the man a little grin before skittering into the kitchen to find a container of half eaten chow mein noodles. It was an added bonus after he pulled it out of the plastic bag, seeing that a small fortune cookie lay hidden within the folds.

As he was told, he puts the box into the microwave and fidgets with the cookie wrapper as he waits. It tears open with ease. He sets the plastic onto the table and pinches the tips of the cookie slightly, curving his pinkies inwards until it breaks with a satisfying snap, bits of crumbs falling to the floor. He pulls one half away and pops it into his mouth as he pulls out the slip of paper from the other and unfolds it.

He likes reading fortunes, even if they’re mostly just advice, and not actually portraying towards the future. He reads the slip of paper to himself.

‘The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life.’

Blinking, he’s about to put it in his pocket when the paper slides between his fingers. A second paper slips out from behind- a double fortune.

‘New adventures and untold memories shall arise from accidental misfortune.’

He does not know what to think of this, but he feels a bit uneasy. He disregards it when the microwave beeps, meaning that his food is ready.

It was pretty much the same as every other night after that. Minseok would eat leftover food that his parents had left him for dinner and curl up on the couch with them as they all watched jeopardy together. Groans were emitted if a person couldn’t guess the right word while cheers of joy signaled a win for one of the contestants. After a while, Minseok would feel his eyelids get heavy and he’d have to haul himself to the bathroom to brush his teeth and take a shower before bed.

By then, both parents would be asleep on the couch, and so the process repeats because Minseok’s dad comes back home early, and his mom works from home. He’d always stare at them from the hallway as he brushed his teeth, finishing up his daily routine before going back into the living room to turn off the tv and put away any of the open food.

His mom was afraid of bugs and he took it upon himself to make sure that it never became a problem. With enough containers and sanitary wipes, he made it seem as though his parents had never eaten all of that food on the couch, finishing everything up by laying a fleece blanket over the two so that they wouldn’t get cold. Then he’d proceed to collapse in his room while burying his face into the pillows, allowing his tense muscles to finally relax so he could sleep for the night.

 

--

 

Minseok has always had a passion for soccer. He’d purposely wake up earlier in the morning to greet both parents before his dad would go out to work, the three of them being able to eat a nice hearty breakfast before he sped out to his car. The dishes were a problem and Minseok eventually began to help his mom around the house before everything was cleaned up so that she could go back to sleep for a few more hours. Then he’d be off to school so that he could get in twenty extra minutes to play soccer with his friends.

It was a great sport and even more so would have been great if Minseok could play it more often. Those short times during the morning and during lunches were never enough to sedate his cravings. The best times to play was when there were enough kids to make two teams of at least six or seven, all of the kids scrambling around the grassy field in order to kick the ball into the goal.

He was decent, or so he’s been told. Students and teachers alike complimented him each time his team won, and likewise, he’d thank them from the bottom of his heart.

A bright and sunny day in P.E. had given him the chance to really shine as he scored five goals all by himself for the team, allowing them to win and earn extra ice pops as a prize. With a blue raspberry ice pop in one hand and a green lemon lime in the other, he walked around aimlessly to try and release the rest of the pent up energy he had that was leftover from the game.

“Minseok!” A classmate called him back to the field and he wandered up to a cluster of boys from his class, unknowingly walking into a trap as they congratulated him again for carrying the team.

“You did really great out there! You should join the soccer team!”

And to this, Minseok would always shake his head sadly and watch as his classmates grow bitter at the rejection. He didn’t think he was that good to make it on the team. The only thing Minseok had going for him was his good teamwork skills and he always thought that it was the sole reason he always harmonized with his team well.

“I agree, you should Minseok.”

The coach for soccer was happily greeted by the boys on the soccer team that were trying to recruit Minseok. He was an athletic for a forty year old man. With arm muscles making his polo shirt looking smaller than it should and his calf muscles the size bowling balls, the man was a force to reckon with and honestly, was a bit scary to Minseok although the coach had a very relaxed personality.

He did want to join the team, Minseok really did. The thought of being able to play officially on a team before made his heart tremble with excitement. As time went on, the feeling wouldn’t shake itself off and he had asked his parents about whether or not he should join. They didn’t know what to say and said he could do whatever he wanted as long as he’d be back home in time for dinner.

That was one reason, since the soccer boys’ practices usually ran from 4 o’clock after school until 8 o’clock PM. They ate dinner at around 7:30 on most nights and even if they were to consolidate for his tardiness, Minseok didn’t want to make his parents have to change their schedules to revolve around him.

Another reason was the fees. The uniform to play was sixty dollars, and the jersey jacket would add on another fifty if he decided to buy it. Then he’d need athletic shorts, shirts, socks and shoes for practice. Not to mention other things such as shin guards, a water bottle and even a bag for his equipment since his school bag was on the verge of breaking and he didn’t want to risk cramming everything in there in case it did.

He didn’t even own an actual ball to practice with. Trips always costed a lot of money too, and by the time Minseok had tried calculating how much the uniform would be if he had bought a pair of cleats, he had just given up and said he couldn’t join. Soccer had always been a minor hobby, anyways; something he’d always love, but never set upon his future goals simply because he couldn’t see himself as a professional- not yet.

“I can always try in middle school.” Minseok would say as he shrugged his shoulders.

Nobody could say no to his laid back attitude, and they all continued to play another game without getting salty that he chose not to join the team.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter