Answer Me

Unstoppable

 

~Chapter Four~

Answer Me

 

 

Taemin's POV~

 

I gulp down the water quickly, stopping myself from spitting it out. Key hyung has just showed me the dance routine and my heart nearly stops. It is a wonderful dance indeed, but I have to do it? No way. I can't do this! I'll fail epically! I don't want to ruin their chances of winning, or embarrass myself.

Okay Taeminnie,so at this point of the song...” Key hyung fast forwards the music and stops it. “You have to move to this direction...” He demonstrates. “And then you start your solo at this point of the song.” He plays the music and stops it after the solo would be over. “Any questions?”

“A-ani.” I shake my head awkwardly.

“Don't worry Taemin-ah, you'll do great.” Onew hyung pats my back.

“Where is that dino? He said he would be here ten minutes ago-”

“Here!” Jonghyun hyung cuts Key hyung off by running in. “Sorry, I was too busy...”

“Busy doing what?” Key hyung raises his eyebrow.

“Helping my mom pick out clothes...” Jonghyun hyung sighs.

“And you didn't call me?! Some friend you are~” Key hyung jokes and pulls Jonghyun hyung's ear lightly.

“Where's the competitive one?”

“Who?” I ask.

“Where's Minho?” Jonghyun hyung asks.

“He texted me saying he caught the flu.” Onew hyung says.

“Taemin?”

“Hmm?” I look at Jonghyun hyung.

“Your phone is ringing.”

“Oh?” It was. “Thanks.” I pick it up and immediately regretted it.

“Where's your mother?” The deep voice asks.

“Not with me, why?”

“You know why. I'll give you no more than a week. That debt has been hanging there for ages now. If you don't find a way to pay it off, there will be consequences.”

“You know our circumstance. If you didn't raise up the price, we would have paid you a long time-”

“It's your f***ing fault for taking so long. One week. No exceptions. You hear that bastard?” Bastard...I cringe.

“Just don't come anywhere near my mother.” I hang up the phone and huff.

“Is something wrong Taebaby?”

“Nothing Key umma, I have to go now though, someone's rushing me.” I lie with a forced smile.

“Alright, but tell us if we can help you in any way.” Onew hyung says and exchanges eye contact with me. Is he possibly thinking about...?

“See you at school Taeminnie.” Jonghyun hyung waves.

“Bye hyungs!” I wave back, and walk away. I put both hands in my pocket.

 

“Appa...Can you please tell Taeminnie what I can do?” I walk towards the direction of the cemetery. “I want umma to be free from work, free from stress. She doesn't deserve this...If it wasn't for all of the unreasonable hospital fees and the robbery, we wouldn't be in this state. Appa left umma and I plenty of money...unfortunately it's all stolen...I-I...I don't know how to help umma keep this family running.” I speak to thin air and tilt my head up, staring at the heavens, hoping my father can hear me.

“How have you been?” I hear a familiar voice in the graveyard. I slowly walk towards my father's grave and immediately hide myself behind a large tombstone. Minho hyung? “I know I haven't been around lately, but I've been too busy with work. I'm sorry I haven't talked to you in a while. Do you miss me?” He jokes and laughs at my father's picture on the tombstone, as if he was actually conversing with him. “Taemin...” Does he know that that's my father?! H-he knows who I am? “I need to repay this debt and-” Crack! I accidentally moved my foot and cracked a broken branch on the ground. “Who's there?” I dash towards the exit and rush home. After barging through my house door, I slam the door shut and my body shakes with unbalance. Minho. Has he been lying all this time like I thought? He does know who I am, and he does know what he has done is wrong. Debt? Is my “death” his debt?

I take deep breaths and try to calm myself down. After regaining myself, I get up and toss my book bag on the floor and look at my bed. I can possibly sell that for some money. That can get us money quickly...it is in pretty good condition right? I walk over and check for an rips or stains, and my legs fail on me. My lip quivers as my heart leaps in devastating shock. A broomstick is laying on the ground and dust bunnies are gathered. “Umma!” I touch her pale face and slowly check her pulse. I sigh with relief as her frail hands move. “Umma, wake up.” I lightly shake her.

“T-Taeminnie, did umma fall asleep again?” I know she is trying to reassure me, and calm me down. She obviously has just fainted.

“Umma, if you're that tired, don't clean the house. I can do that.” I fix her hair and lift her up bridal style and carry her to her room. I gently lay her on her old bed and wrap her with the worn out blanket. “You work hard enough, you don't have to be the housekeeper umma.” I smile at her warningly.

“Did I worry you?”

“No umma, I knew you were just resting.” I lie, trying to comfort her. “Does your body ache?”

“A-ani. Umma is fine-”

“I'll be right back.” I take out the lotion that Key hyung has given me for our one month friendship anniversary. I pour some on my hand and roll my umma's sleeves. I start massaging her arms and later move on and massage her feet. “Do you feel any better?”

“You are the perfect son.”

“And you're the perfect mother.” I kiss her hand and roll down her sleeves.

“Taeminnie, is something bothering you?”

“Why umma?”

“It's just...You seem very...tired?”

“Don't worry about it umma. Taeminnie is strong as a bull.” I pound my chest to demonstrate.

“Haha, my son is the best.”

“Rest well umma, I'll bring in dinner later.” I tuck her in well, and close her door quickly, since she has already drifted off.

 

“Delicious mandu here!” I yell as the customers pass by. “Please purchase some! It's worth it!” I make up some random cheers and slowly, people started coming over. I wrap up the mandu and happily take the money. The ahjumma is the one that makes the dumplings, while I am the one that sells and collects the money. After a tiring night, all of the mandu is gone and the stall is closed.

“Little Taemiri worked hard today.” The ahjumma ruffles my hair and smiles with her toothless gums. I smile and bow as I take my payment with both hands. I count the money in case she miscounted and gave me too much money, which she did.

“You gave my lots of extra money today!” I scold her jokingly, and give her the extra money.

“Keep it my boy, take it as a treat from me.”

“You shouldn't have.”

“If it wasn't for you, my business would have been over!”

“I'm not that important~” I giggle at her cuteness.

“Don't argue with an old lady like I am.”

“You're not old, you're lively as a noona~”

“Don't you sweet-talk me hehe.” She blushes.

“I'll walk you home.” I offer her my hand and she takes it. After a few minutes of walking, she stops and looks at me. “Is something wrong?”

“Dry tears...I don't like it when you cry.”

“Huh?” I touch my face and feel nothing. “I'm not crying.” I shake my head.

“You know, you are the sweetest boy I've ever met. Never forget that. There is always someone that loves you, even if you can't see it.” She pecks my hand and enters her house. What did she mean by that? Dry tears?

 

I walk back to the cemetery despite how late it is. I walk to my father's grave and kneel down in front of it. “Happy birthday appa~” I smile and kiss the small picture. “I see someone came to talk to you today...Did that person annoy you?” I ask him and wait for a reply that I will never get. “Taeminnie made lots of money today. I can pay my phone bill! Are you proud of me appa?” I sign and place the packaged mandu in front of him. “It's a little ugly, Taeminnie made it myself. It tastes good though, I’m sure of it!” I turn around and lean on his gravestone.

“Appa, I made friends, four very close ones. They're very kind and protect me very well. I-I...I don't like it. How can I think wrongly of Minho hyung when he is so nice to me? I-I...I just want to give you your chain back. Do you know how hard it is to not think of the past? In the hospital...I planned so much. I was yearning for the day I can get my reven- your chain back. I think I'm turning into a evil person...Did the devil come and invaded me when I was unconscious?” I pout and get up. I bow at the gravestone and wave him goodbye.

 

“A one, a two, a one, two, three four, pop, spin, switch, three-”

“That looks weird. It doesn't flow well.”

“Where?”

“Here~” Minho hyung says and does the move.

“Really? I think it looks fine...” Key hyung says and does the move.

“Wouldn't it look better if we did this...” Minho hyung does a few moves.

“Fine.” Key hyung puffs his cheeks and we start practicing again. “A one, a two, a one, two, three, four, pop, lock, spin, one, three, spin, switch! Good?”

“I like it!” I smile and clap.

“Shall we do it with the music now?”

“Hit it dino!” Jonghyun hyung turns on the song and simultaneously dance to it.

“Great!” Onew hyung cheers.

“That looked good, but I think singing would-”

“No no no no no! I shall not sing.” Key hyung folds his arms.

“Why not?”

“Because if we focus more on dancing, it would be more powerful. While singing, it can be shaky due to the motions. If we sing, I have to change the routine and-”

“I think it'll be fun umma...” I say lowly.

“Really Taebaby?” I nod and he sighs. “Alright, if you want to.” Jonghyun hyung and Onew hyung high fives each other and hugs me.

“Good maknae~” Onew hyung chuckles.

“Hey, don't I have a say in this?” Minho hyung pouts.

“You missed a practice and you think you can just trot in and give orders mister?” Key hyung flares his nostrils.

“Aigoo.” Minho hyung flails his arms.

 

“See you tomorrow!” I wave and walk home. After a good five minutes, I hear a faint yell of my name and stop.

“What did I say? Leave Choi Minho alone!” I hear another voice.

“W-what?” I look around and see no one. “Who's there?”

“If you can't pay with money, you would have to-”

“Shut up!” I scream at thin air, and the voices disappear. “What was that?” I ask myself aloud.

“Taeminnie!” I turn around and Onew hyung joins me.

“Hyung? Why are you here?”

“Oh, I just wanted to talk to you about...you know...” I look at him. “Do you mind if I come to your house or something? We can talk about it?”
“Alright hyung, but I have to go to work later, so we have to make it quick.”

 

“Did you get any useful information from the files I gave you?”

“They helped me a lot hyung, thank you.”

“Ah...about that...My uncle told me a few things that were...weird, so I want you to answer a few questions for me.”

“Go ahead.” I nod.

“Is it a possibility...that...you and the dead Lee Taemin...are you two the same person?”

 

I’m sorry that this chapter wasn’t that good. I just needed this chapter to show how Taemin’s life is like and what is going to come up. Please comment!