Welcome Back

Unstoppable

~Chapter One~

Welcome Back

 

 

Taemin’s POV~

 

 

I grew and dyed my hair. I grew small muscles. I grew a stronger attitude. I grew a new me. Choi Minho. That name is an everlasting scar in my brain. Did I ever do wrong? No. Did I ever bother anyone? No. Did I deserve it? No. I didn’t bother him, he didn’t pay attention me, but because of him, I almost lost my life.

It was five years ago, I was a stupid, scrawny, little boy who’d mind my own business. I never talked to him, I never knew him, and I never bothered him, but he just seems to be all over my life. My mother and his mother were friends. Like normal mothers, they would talk about their children. My mother loved Minho and wanted to trade him for me any day. Every time I come home with a bad teacher’s note or a call reporting on my poor grades, I would be beaten up and compared to Minho. When I ate lunch alone in the corner, other classmates would praise Minho like a saint and spit in my face. Whenever I was seen, they would spit on me and bully me with hurtful words- I could stand all of that.

All of that nonsense was nothing to me, not until after I bumped into Choi Minho. I was walking to my next class with my head down not wanting any visual contact with anyone, but instead, I bumped into the school’s most popular and powerful student. I knocked his books and made them land on the floor. My dirty clothes touched his and left dirt marks. My dirty hands brushed on his as I fell to the ground. After that, my life went downhill- getting worse and worse each day. Classmates beat me up in break time, threw my lunch on my head, hurt me mentally and physically, and worse of all, the person I bumped into for a split second took away my only memory of my loving dead father- his metal chain.

After years of pure torture, I finally lost it. My body became weak, my mental self became hard to reach and hidden. I always wanted to die, always wanted to kill myself, but I didn’t because I didn’t want to surrender. I missed my father too much and that missing chain was like a deep black hole in my heart. I decided to confront Choi Minho. I asked him for it, and he simply answered, “Go get it.” and pointed to the large pole in the center of the track field. I climbed on the pole with bleeding hands and a broken leg forcing myself not to cry in pain. When I finally reached up to the top, I saw nothing. I looked down and saw Choi Minho laughing and swinging the chain in the air like it’s trash. I was about to climb back down, but the pole already fell first- due to someone chopping it down with an axe.

I fell down and landed on my head having the pole hit it and crush a few ribs. I remember crying for help and looking for anyone around. The last thing I remembered before blacking out completely, was Choi Minho, throwing my father’s chain on the ground and stepping on it.

Since he was a good son, I still do not blame him for anything he has done since most of my pain was caused by my classmates, but Minho...disrespecting my dead father, for that, he deserves to die. Why did I return to this place after all of the horrible memories? Simple, I wanted to get the chain back. I don’t want revenge like normal people, full of hate. I wanted to find my father’s chain, live a new and fun life, and forget about what happened before. I might seem stupid to not use this chance to give revenge, but I mustn’t. I want to see the nice side of everything. I nearly died and so I cannot live in the same deadly old life. I am a new Lee Taemin.

I wear the high school uniform and walk out of my house and enter the cab. I close the door calmly, embracing the new feeling of returning back to an old, but new place. This was the same school I went to many years ago. The school contains all grades from preschool to the last year of high school. I am returning to this school as a old tenth grader and attending higher classes due to my great test grades. I don’t know how I managed for a person in a coma for over a year and living in the hospital for the recovery nearly taking four years. I was very injured and lost so much weight that I almost died. Nevermind...what happened happened...I just have to continue on now.

After a good ten minutes, the cab finally stops in front of the school and I grab my dark book bag and step out of the cab giving the man extra tip. I take a deep breath in sinking in the new scent. I take my first step on the school grounds and confidently keep my head up unlike before, and walk to the bulletin listing all of the classes. I look for my name and see that I am in Class A. I look around at the other classmates and bingo, I see the name I wanted to see. Doing a complete ninety degree turn, I walk away from the bulletin and wait for the bell to ring letting all of the students in.

“LOOK IT’S CHOI MINHO! KYAAAA!” I hear girls scream and run towards the school gate. “OMO SHINee!” Some others scream and run there as well. Basically, all of the school ran towards that direction, including me. I try to tippy-toe to see over the taller guys but I still can’t see anything. After I hear a door slam, the whole crowd squeals and chant something. “Lee Jinki! Kim Jonghyun! Kim Kibum! Choi Minho! SHINee SARANGHAE!” Choi Minho? SHINee? I look around trying to see his face but no use, the crowd is too large. I give up ad walk toward the school’s main entrance waiting for the bell to ring. I look at my watch and a small countdown starts. In five...four...three...two...BEEEEPPP! I run in the familiar school and find the advisory room quite easily.

I look in the room and notice the room is already full with my old classmates. I breathe in nervously hoping no one would notice me. I sit down at an empty seat and sit there looking around nervously, having my fists so tight that my knuckles are turning numb. I close my eyes examining the noises around me. I hear giggling, laughter, and happiness. I smile to myself happy to not hear silence like the hospital nor hatred like how it use to be, I can get use to this. I smile to myself and open my eyes.

The school bell rings a second time and the teacher enters the classroom. “Welcome students to a new year!~” The sweet-looking teacher smiles as the class claps. “This year, they are trying something new so it might be a confusing year. As most of you know, a letter was sent telling you your knowledge level and the average age group you will learn with. The school made a new rule with averaging your basic knowledge and making those group of children ‘travel’ together to classes. I don’t know...That’s what the principle told me to tell you...” She pauses a little and the looks at me. “OH! I forgot! I have to welcome the new students to this school! Umm, all of the new transfers please step forward.” I takes a deep breath and walk forward joining the small group of students. “Please introduce yourselves! Please start.” She looks at a nice-looking boy and he smiles bowing.

“Annyeonghaseyo Lee Jinki imnida.” He bows. “Please call me Onew.”

“Annyeonghaseyo Kim Jonghyun imnida.” He bows.

“Annyeonghaseyo Choi Minho imnida.” He bows.

“Annyeonghaseyo Kim Kibum imnida.” He bows. “Please call me Key~” He smiles and the girls blush at all of them.

“And you?” The teacher looks at me.

“Annyeonghaseyo Lee Taemin imnida.” I’m not sure why...but all of them are staring at me...and it scared me.

“Sorry, can you repeat yourself? I cannot hear you.” The teacher says. I bob my head slightly and raise my head up projecting my voice.

“Annyeonghaseyo Lee Taemin imnida.” I smile and also get smiles from some girls. This makes me feel so special, no one is hurting me, and no one is hating me, I am normal.

 

Lunch Time~

 

Now that I think about it, why did Minho hyung introduce himself when she asked for new students, he isn’t new! I know I’m not either...but still. His hair grew longer and is sort of wavy, I think he looks more nicer this way? His friends look nice too. I think they are the ones that made up ‘SHINee’ since the girls look at them like they are saints... Onew hyung’s medium length brown hair makes him look gentle, Key hyungs colorful highlights make him look cool, Jonghyun hyung’s hair is normal I guess...and yeah...they look nice.

Half the day has passed and I haven’t talked to anyone yet. I plan not to...I want to be more well know unlike before, but it feels weird. I just want my father’s chain back...“Hey!” The four ‘SHINee’ members smile at me. “Can we sit here? The other tables are full.” Onew hyung says. I look around looking to see if he was telling the truth- he wasn’t. Girls and guys both were calling for them to sit together and patting their empty seats, but they just ignore them. I shrug and nod my head slightly gesturing them to sit down. They bow as a “thank you” and sit down.

I munch on my crappy sandwich and sip my banana milk quietly. They slowly drift off and ignore me, talking amongst themselves. I look up at Minho hyung and see him smiling and talking- a new sight. I lose my appetite for some reason and so I throw away all of my food and start walking to the next class fifteen minutes early until a voice stops me. “You’re Lee Taemin right?” I turn around and see Jonghyun hyung looking at me. I nod and look at him. “Have I ever seen you before?” He asks and I shake my head, for I have not met him until today.

“Wasn’t there like a Lee Taemin that was on the news before or something?” Key hyung points out. I look down hoping he won’t see through my eyes.

“I think, but it’s not you right? I mean, there are lots of people with the same name in the world.” Onew hyung says. I bob my head slightly- it’s not me, that Lee Taemin is dead.

“I’m Choi Minho, have you been to this school before? I was in this school a few years ago and left and now I’m back. You look like an old classmate or-”

“No.” I cut him off. “Sorry, but I don’t know any of you.” I bow. and walk off.

“Was that Lee Taemin your friend or something? You seem...sad?” Jonghyun hyung asks. I tilt my head back a little so they can see little of my face.

“Yeah, you can say so. That Lee Taemin is dead though.”

“Sorry.” Onew hyung says.

“It’s fine...” I walk off again, this time not getting stopped by them.

 

No One’s POV~

 

“Do you think he has something against us?” Jonghyun asks.

“Don’t know, he doesn’t seem comfortable...” Onew points out.

“Minho, you went to school here before, was he from here or is he new?” Key asks.

“H-huh?” Minho snaps out of his daydream.

“Did you know him?” Key repeats.

“Uh...No?” Minho searches through his lost memories. “yeah, I don’t think I ever met him.” He nods to himself.

“Really? Well, he was looking at you an awful lot.” Key and the others nod.

“He was?” Minho asks as the three friends nod with the school bell ringing, indicating that lunch time is over. They all walk to class and see Taemin already there sitting quietly in the corner. He sits there scribbling images and ending up scratching them all out angrily and pounds his fists on the desk.

“You okay there?” Jonghyun asks looking at him. Immediately Taemin calms down and looks out of the window solemnly.

“Is he bipolar?” Onew scoots himself close to Minho and whispers in his ear leaning back.

“I’m not.” Taemin says. All shocked that he heard Onew, they walk towards the corner where Taemin is and sits near him.

“Is something bothering you?” Key asks, breaking the silence.

“No.” Taemin simply answers.

“Is it because you’re shy then? You are new like us right?” Onew asks.

“You could say so...” Taemin sighs. “Sorry, I’m not in the talking mood, can you...?”

“Yeah.” Minho answers. “Let’s not bother him guys; nice meeting you Taemin.” Minho says as he gets up walking to the other side of the room followed by the rest, after waving to Taemin.

 

The Next Day~

 

Taemin’s POV~

 

Another day back towards my old memories...I walk towards the empty field and stare at the now empty spot where...where I was almost killed. After many years, the blood has washed away and the huge hole with the pole in is now covered. I touch my chest and ribs where the pole crushed first. I stare at the spot I remembered Minho hyung stepping on my father’s chain and a small useless tear rolls down my cheek. I quickly wipe it away, forcing myself not to remember. “A new start Taemin, this is the new you.” I snap myself out of it and turn my back, walking away from the painful field.

“Taemin-ah!” Key hyung waves to me and I stop, letting him catch up to me. He runs towards me and wraps an arm on my shoulders. “Okay, I know that you just met me but, don’t dislike me...”

“What do you mean Key-ssi?”

“I mean...Let’s be friends.” He smiles at me and offers a hand waiting for my approval. A friend? I never had one of those before...Is he serious about his? I- I want a friend...I slowly take his hand and shake it. “Friends?” He asks.

“Friends.” I smile as he hugs me. This was the first hug I ever got in twelve years. My mother never hugged me, my father is dead, my grandparents are dying, and I never had anyone show affection towards me, not to mention hug me. I teared up from the new feeling I always wished for.

“W-why are you crying?” He wipes my tears and looks at me worriedly, like a big brother.

“N-nothing!” I try to sound cheerful and wipe a shedding tear.

“Is...” He stops to think and then looks up at me. “Have you ever had a friend before?” He asks in shock. I do not answer. “You at least got hugged by a classmate before right?” He looks at me concernedly. I do not answer. “I’m glad to be your first friend Taemin.” He tries to cheer me up. “Come on buddy, let’s go to class.” He wraps his arm around me once more and we walk to class. Maybe I will enjoy the new me after all...