The Offer

A Dead Man Tells No Tales

Himchan P.O.V.


Hello everyone, I'd tell you my name and what I do but I see that it isn't really needed. I'm now basically a jobless nobody and it seems to me that darkness is upon me....oh wait no, my eyes are just closed. I think I out... How'd I end up this way? Oh I remember now. Daehyun and I bumped into a mob at the end of their murder and almost died...Ugh my life. I think I was dreaming. Am I still dreaming? I really hope so.  I don't ever want to wake up, but I think I already am. I have one hell of a headache and the voices now coming into focus are becoming more clear and annoying. 

"Himchan"

"Himchan!!!"

"Heechul hyung I think we should let him sle-"

"HIMCHAN WAKE THE UP!!" A voiced screamed. I immediately felt a sting on my left cheek afterwards. I shot up out of the couch I was sleeping on turning towards the cause of my pain.

"!" I held my stinging cheek trying to rub the pain away.

"Morning!" Heechul said in a cheerful voice. He had a satisfactory smile on his face as he folded his arms.

"The was that for Heechul!" I rubbed my cheek. 

"Just wanted to wake you up. That's all" He replied shrugging his shoulders.

"Where am I? What time is it?" I was still pretty disoriented from his wake-up call.

"You're at your apartment and its 11:25. " He said looking at his phone. "Since you are up now Sleeping Beauty mind telling me what happened last night? Daehyun already told me his side of the story and now I want to know if yours matches up with his"

"uhhhh-uhhhhhh" My mind was so blank. Yours would be too if you just got slapped awake. Before I could look anymore stupid than I already did, Daehyun sneaked up behind Heechul unnoticed and held up his hand which was marked with the words "sick" on it. I stared at him for a moment before I understood what he meant. I shook the sleepiness off and responded to Heechul.

"I ....wasn't feeling well" I stole a glance at Daehyun once again who pulled up his sleeve which showed the words "puke". "I was just puking up my guts. I guess that....shrimp...I ate before coming really got to me. Must have been too raw" I pursed my lips praying to any spiritual being that he'd take my word.

"You two were gone for over 3 hours. I don't know anyone who pukes that long." Heechul narrowed his eyes. I stole another quick glance at Daehyun who was making over exaggerated gestures that looked like he was pouring something down his throat. Oh! Water!!!!. Heechul caught me looking off behind his shoulder and quickly turned around to see Daehyun yawning. He glared at Daehyun giving him a wary look.

"Oh morning hyung! You're awake!" Daehyun gave a fake-smile with a little wave. Heechul rolled his eyes then turned his focus back to me waiting for my response. 

"Daehyun went to .....get me a bottle of water so I could wash out my mouth." I turned Daehyun and thanked him getting a nod and a salute. 

"Fine....I'll take that response for now....In the mean time someone left this for you" He handed me a blank envelope with the words "Kim Himchan" written across it. Oh ..... I looked over at Daehyun who had a surprised look on his face.

"Looks like my ex-boss was too ashamed to send it formally I guess" I lied while stuffing the envelope into my pants pocket. "Thanks Heechul for bringing home, but I think I'll be okay if I get a little more rest." I said as I got up and started making my way towards the front door. The anxiety on my face was so obvious but he decided to ignore it and made his way out the door. I was about to close it until he turned his head to face me. Crap! Did he see through? Oh God it’s all over!!!

"Make sure you get some good rest. I'll need you tomorrow. Daehyun come in tomorrow too." He said before continuing down the hall of my apartment floor. I let go of the breath I was holding in and slammed the door shut. Daehyun walked over to me and guided me back to the couch. I plopped myself down and reached into my pants pocket to get the letter out. My hands slightly shook as I slowly ripped open the envelope. Two pictures fell onto my lap. They were both of Daehyun and Heechul carrying an unconscious me out of the bar and into my apartment. Wow...I looked so ugly in these photos. My pale face, mouth hanging out, those red baggy eyes. I could have gone on forever but Daehyun could see I was getting too absorbed into the hideous photos and nudged me to continue to look at the letter inside. 

"Sorry..." I mumbled. I took the letter and read it. I swear I could almost hear that classy guy's voice pop into my head as I started to read it off.

To: Kim Himchan

We have done a background check on you and your little friend. To my surprise, you have the skills that meet our requirements. If you're looking for a job, which I know you are, make a call to this number.

+82459784156 [A/N: do not call this number it’s not real]

P.S.

Remember what we told you before about our little secret or else.

"That ing cocky piece of !!!" I ripped up the piece of paper until it was lying in shreds on my floor. How dare he!!! I would not stoop that low to join a mafia group just because I got fired from my job! Besides, with my high skills I could easily get a job anywhere. I'm 22. I have great looks and I'm academically smarter than the average person. This was ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous! I'm putting this whole thing behind me and continuing my normal regular not-mafia-related life. 

"Daehyun forget everything that just happened within the last 24 hours. None of that happened. They get what they want and we get what we want. We forget what we saw and move on with our lives. Now go home and eat some cheesecake while I go job hunting!" I patted him on the back and hoped up off the couch heading towards my bathroom to get ready for job interviews. 

 

After I had freshened up, I went out onto the streets in a nice black suit with a red tie for good luck with my resume folder tucked underneath my arm. I headed towards the job search aid building and handed them a copy of my resume only to get it immediately rejected. I was so flabbergasted at the sudden rejection I almost chocked on my own spit. 

"I-I'm sorry madam but why is my resume rejected. You didn't even look at it." The lady stopped what she was doing and looked up at me with that one face that read "don't with me".

"Sir, I don't even need to look at your resume to know who you are. Now get out of my building before I call the police!" My mouth hung open as if my jaw was broken. How rude. Needless to say, I reluctantly obliged by her rude demands and exited the building in haste. That was way too weird. Maybe she mistook me as some other person. Yeah...that's right......Didn't matter I didn't even need to go in there anyways. I can get a job on my own without that old hag's help! I stormed off to the busiest part of the city. If Samsung didn't want me then maybe I could shoot for something a little lower within the cellphone industry. Although it was certainly below my standards, I felt that maybe if I started from the bottom I could work my way back up to the top. The building in front of me had a balloon arch way with an attractive girl standing by the door handing out instant Kimchi to all those who walked by. As she saw me coming her way, she made her cutest ageyo as possible while handing me a package of instant Kimchi. 

"Hello Oppa! Does oppa want to buy a phone today? We're selling our Samsung Galaxy s5's for only $89!" She smiled. I gave her my professional fake smile and turned her offer down. I mentally scoffed. Buy a phone from the company I was fired from? Not in this millennium. Whoever thought that giving packets of instant Kimchi for cellphone advertising should be slapped. Advertisement marketers will never learn. Striding on past her, the automatic doors opened alerting the salesman who was busy finishing up with a customer. He swiftly made his way towards me and bowed. 

"Welcome valued customer. Are you interested in buying a new cellphone? We have a great sale going on today. We-" before he continued I stopped him.

"Are there any positions open for hire?" I handed him my resume. He took it from me flipping to the first page and immediately handed it back. He had an anxious look on his face as his eyes darted from side to side. 

"I-i'm very sorry but there are no positions available at the time. If that is all, I'll you to the door." And with that he nudged me all the way to the door before giving me a gentle push and closing the doors.

I wasn't even quite sure what just happened. It was becoming very strange that no one wanted to hire me. Store after store that I went to turned down my resume even before getting to the second page. This kept up for about the next week and a half and before I knew it. Rent was due and I had already spent most of my money on living expenses like water, electric, and sanitation bills. Luckily, I wasn't really attached to any of the material items I possessed so I sold them, but it still wasn't enough to pay for all the bills. By the end of the month, I found myself sitting on a park bench with my luggage in tote. I wasn't even sure how I ended up in this predicament. No one would hire me. It didn't make any sense. Both Daehyun and Heechul had offered to give me a place to stay. It was really nice and I deeply appreciated their efforts of being good friends, but I didn't want to intrude on their lives seeing as Daehyun could barely afford his dinky little apartment himself, and Heechul had a boyfriend at home. Only God himself would know what goes on in that house after hours. It was mid-September and the weather wouldn't get any better than this from here on out. The money I had earned from working odd end jobs at Heechul's bar was enough to get me a few meals but I couldn't manage this way for long. There no relatives I could turn to or go to for that matter. In the end, I was completely screwed. I thought back to how this all even happened. That damn rug. If only I hadn't tripped on it. I'd still have my job. According to the planner, I'd be in North America going over the agenda for the financial meetings with Mr. Choi. Unfortunately that wasn't the case at all. It was getting harder and harder to suppress all the emotions I've experienced up to this point. I told myself that crying wouldn't solve anything, but right now it’s about all I can do. How pathetic, I was homeless and jobless all in the course of one month. Was this fate's plan in life for me? Was I never truly meant to be happy? Was I just going to end up in throwing myself off the bridge over the Han River?  Thinking about all these horrible things just made the tears run down my face even faster. Ugh... I probably look really ugly crying out in public. I didn't even notice a figure decided to sit down on the opposite end of the bench.  He dug into his coat pocket and handed me an embroidered handkerchief. Kind gestures like this restored a little of my faith back into the future for humanity. I mumbled a thanks as I unattractively blew my nose into the handkerchief taking notice of a certain bunny symbol sewn onto handkerchief. Never mind, I take back what I said about having faith in humanity……I threw the handkerchief back at the person before standing up. I was about to grab my luggage bag and head for the hills but stopped when the man spoke.

“Well it looks like you’ve got yourself in a fix.” He smirked. I narrowed my eyes at him. I had nothing to say to such an indecent human being such as him. Mr. Classy guy decided to ignore my silence and continued on.

“Still looking for a job I suppose? My offer still stands.” I stared at him thinking his joke had gone on for long enough. If he was going to kill me then he should have done it a month ago. Why bother even asking me now? I’d been reduced to living off the streets. Wait…somewhere in the back of my mind I was slowly putting the pieces in place. If I was unacceptable for a job, I’d run out of money in turn making me poor. No money means no apartment. Now that I had lost everything I literally had nothing to lose by joining a gang……that cunning bastard….I shook my head and chuckled.

“You’re pretty clever aren’t you? Was this all part of some elaborate plot to get me to join your “gang”? Was I that much of a catch you just had to uproot me out of my home? Make me sell all my personal belongings?!” Mr. Classy looked over at me in surprise.

“My “gang” did no such thing. It’s your choice if you want to join or not. We’re not forcing anything upon you. But we will take extreme measures to keep yours and that other kids mouth shut if you plan on spilling anything to the police.”

“Then explain how I can’t seem to find a ing job and ended up living off the streets!” I practically yelled.

“I dunno. Listen, if I were you I’d take my offer since you have nothing to lose. Except your morals and your righteous sense of justice but we’ll discuss that later.”

I sat back down on the bench defeated. I never thought it would come to this. I needed good money, a job and a place to stay. All signs of hope for a better life than this pointed towards Mr. Classy over here. I just didn’t get why he wanted me to join his gang. I had no special talents that I knew of that were required to be a thug. I wasn’t the best athlete around nor did I have an intimidating aura to me. Everything about me just screamed business-privileged.

“Why do you want me to join your group? If you haven’t already noticed, I’m not the thug type nor do I carry the personality for one.” Mr. Classy guy stared at me for a moment before looking off into the distance. He seemed to be contemplating whether or not he actually needed to answer me. It grew silent as neither of us spoke. I probably just talked him out of letting join now. Great….he’s probably just going to leave me now thinking it was useless trying to get me to join. I better get out of here before he decides to take back his offer. I don’t think I could stand being rejected again. Once again, grabbing my luggage I proceeded to make an exit but was stopped by his words as he spoke.

“You may not see it yourself but I think you’d make a valuable asset to our team. I kept an eye on you after left the alley and it seems that the police weren’t able to trace the murder that you and your little friend committed. I assume you have some skill in misdirecting police, but we’ll need to work on your abilities to get rid of the body. Throwing it in the dumpster is like wanting the police to find you.” He laughed. “So what do you say? Want to join?”

I swallowed empty air as I knew I’d regret this choice in the future, but what choice did I have? Can't beat them..might as well join them....

“……………Okay” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note: The first three chapters were pretty much a prolouge! Now onto the real story!!! Thank you for the subscriptions and comments! Comments/upvotes are encouraging ^_^)/