Anything Could Happen

A Dead Man Tells No Tales

Himchan P.O.V.

 

Hi guys! I can't talk for long! I'm running late once again to work! I guess I should explain who I am and what I do. My name is Kim Himchan and I'm the executive assistant to one of the top leading electronics companies in South Korea. You've heard of Samsung right? Well you guessed it! Thaaats right! I work there. My job sounds super important and fanciful. You would think I'd be managing projects, scheduling meetings, meeting famous exciting idols that advertise our products and services, and coming up with new proposals to the latest technology on the market, but that’s a big fat N-O. Executive assistant is just another special word for coffee . You want a mocha-java latté with extra espresso and low calorie creamer in 4 minutes flat? No problem! Gotcha covered. Need to know what you're doing 3 days 12 hours and 42 minutes from now? I can tell you. I'm not complaining about my job. I mean, the money keeps a roof over my head and food in my stomach with a little cash to spare on life's luxuries. But, I didn't really go into this field of work with the intention to just serve coffee 24/7. It's not my cup of Joe if you know what I mean. Oh Great! Finally I made it to work! Running sure takes the air out of you especially if you're not an athlete. Well enough about me. It's time to go to work!

 

I speedily walked down the narrow paths managing my best to duck underneath stretched-out arms and walking feet. I pressed the elevator button impatiently waiting to hear to the ding for the doors. Why were elevators so slow? Was it their job to make me more late than I already was?! I stepped into the elevator right as it opened unfortunately there were people inside. I had managed to spill all of the contents in my bag out onto the floor as people knocked me down. ! People flooded out of the elevator carelessly stomping over my spilt papers. Not one of them even stopped to even ask if I was alright or help me. I spent a few seconds sitting there dumbfounded at how heartless the people that I work with at this company were. I shook my head as I gathered up my things and made my way into the now empty elevator. Pressing the top floor button, I waited to ascend. Sometimes I wondered how my life even lead up to this very moment. I remember being an imaginative little kid drawing out designs for the next new electronic device. With my ability to learn pretty fast, I was able to skip a couple grade and graduate college at the age of 20. Here I am 2 years and 2 internships later working for a top high end company only to be a coffee . Funny how life turns out. I bitterly smirked as I stepped off the elevator and into the lobby area of the top floor. 

 

"Good morning Mr. Kim! How are you today?" the secretary at the desk cheerfully asked me. Wow what attitude being stuck at a desk saying "Samsung Electronics please hold!" for 10 hours straight and yet it doesn't faze her. 

 

"I'm fine" I lied through a smile. I bowed my head slightly and made my way into the CEO's office. He was on the phone blabbing away about some important meeting that was coming up in a few minutes. The office was enormous. Of course since it was the head honcho's office it was decked out in minimalistic white expensive furniture. On one end of the room was my boss's desk and on the other was mine which could be mistaken as a nightstand. The only real color in the room was his ridiculous looking tiger rug that was underneath his desk. The ends of it were jagged and stuck out like a sore thumb. One day someone's going to injure themselves on it.

 

"I'm here sir" I said quietly walking as silently as I could to my nightstand desk paralleled to his. I pulled the crumpled papers out of my bag and tried my best to neatly smooth them out. Great...these were the papers I needed today that I slaved over yesterday night that in turn made me late today. What were the odds that today was just going to go horribly wrong?

 

"Ah! You're here FINALLY Himchan!" My CEO exclaimed as he threw some papers in the air sarcastically celebrating my presence. "I was beginning to think I needed to get out those old resume recommendations!" He laughed jokingly. I knew he was implying that if I hadn't shown up, I would have been replaced. How expendable were humans these days? I inwardly rolled my eyes at my boss's cruel joke giving a little empty laugh and smile. 

 

"Oh Mr. Choi! You jokester! Of course I'm here! Let me go get you some coffee from the lounge as an apology for being late!" I forcefully smiled. 

 

"That'd be excellent! Remember no creamer. 2 cups of sugar and 1 milk!" He said as he spun his chair to face his computer. I bowed slightly and walked out of the room heading towards the printer. I clumsily got out my flash drive and plugged it into the spare computer. I scrolled through my files and clicked to print an extra copy of today's agenda meeting. The printer spit out the copy and I snatched it up and quickly walked back to the office. On my way, I picked up a random black coffee and put the "requirements" in before heading back to the room. I mentally gave myself a high-five for such an easy save. 

 

"Here's your coffee sir and the agenda for today's meeting." I walked over to his desk extending the coffee and papers to him simultaneously. Everything happened so fast.  In the next instant I found myself on the floor looking up at my now drenched boss and ruined papers. That damn rug............. I scrambled to my feet sputtering a plethora of apologies. No amount of apologies could sum up the embarrassment I felt at that very moment. The worst part about it was the stone cold look on his face. He pursed his lips together and glanced at the coffee spill now dripping off the desk and onto his rug. I felt as if he was contemplating whether if I should live or die.  I wasn't exactly sure what to do next. It'd be useless to say such things like "I'll pay for your suit"....not even my pay check could pay for his dry cleaning bill. I opened my mouth several times but the words failed to come out. The air filled with a tension so strong that not even Hercules himself could break it. 

 

"Kim Himchan" Mr. Choi looked at me with the sternest expression on his face. I knew exactly what this face was and I wasn't really ready for it.

 

"You're fired"

 

The words echoed throughout the room bouncing off the walls repeatedly banging against my eardrum. I knew I've made a few mistakes before and had a great earful but nothing had prepared me for this moment. Silence filled the room as I stood there expressionless. I looked down at the ruined rug not wanting to meet his stare. I felt a pang as if he had shot me. He shoved his way past me knocking me down in the process. He paused for a brief moment looking at him before he spoke again. "Get your stuff out of my building before I get back or I will throw it all away and set those recommendation resumes on my desk...Looks like I'll need them after all." He walked out slamming the door behind him. I tried my hardest to get up but failed to get my feet underneath me. I hadn't worked long here but losing this job now stained my record. No one would want to hire someone who was fired from one of the top leading electronic companies especially over a stupid mistake. One stupid mistake. It felt as if the world was playing a cruel joke on me. I slammed my fist against the rug in frustration. Thank the architects who designed this floor for not installing glass windows or else everyone would have been able to see my melt down. After 15 minutes of trying to give myself a pep talk and packing my stuff up I placed my hand on the door knob. It hit me that this would be the last time I would ever be opening this door. I gathered up whatever dignity I had left and walked out of the office. People looked up with sympathetic looks. Good God how fast does news spread around here? I tried my hardest to seem as if being fired from an international company didn't faze me....guess it wasn't working since people were still giving me the "poor you" look. I walked down the hall hearing whispers and more gossip knowing that I'd be the big gossip topic for the next who knows how long. I managed to get to my car before the tears started rolling down my face. I probably looked ugly and pathetic crying my face off in a parking garage but I felt like I had the right too. 

 

That night I decided to go to my favorite local bar to drown out my sorrows and get my mind off the fact that I was just fired. The door jingled as I opened the door notifying the owner that there was another customer. The owner turned around and waved happily at the sight of me. I gave a lop-sided grin and waved my hand back. 

 

"Hey Heechul" I said propping myself up onto the bar stool. 

 

"So what brings you here tonight Channie?" Heechul said as he leaned in setting his chin in his hand.

 

"Got fired...." I sighed willing myself not to cry again. I had already shed too many tears over it. Crying wouldn't solve anything...too bad it didn't or else I would have already had my job back.

 

"WHAT? The hell they should fire someone as smart as you! What's wrong with them?" Heechul exclaimed. His loud voice had brought attention of the other customers who have me the same sympathetic look as my co-workers. I slumped down in my seat trying to cover my face feeling more embarrassed than I already was.

 

"Oh sorry pal!" Heechul murmured patting my back. The door jingled again making Heechul and I turn to see who it was. "Shindong that’s like the 23rd time you came in late again...you were supposed to be here 2 hours ago!?" 

 

"Sorry boss it seems like I'll have to quit my wife got relocated due to her job and so I'm moving with her. At least you can find someone who will actually be able to make it on time!" He said as he walked right back out the door. Heechul face palmed groaning loudly. 

 

"Well, where the hell am I going to find another worker to cover my shift?!" He paused then he looked over at me. "Problem solved!" he clapped his hands grinning.  I looked at him with confusion in my face. "W-what?....Ooooo …ooohh no! Just because I'm jobless doesn't mean I'm going to spring into action and take another right away..and besides...I don't know how to mix drinks!?" 

 

"Look all you have to do is wipe glasses and clean up. I have Daehyun to mix drinks. His shift starts in a few minutes anyways." He said looking at his watch. As if on cue, Daehyun opened the door. He smiled as he saw me on the bar stool. 

 

"Himchan! I didn’t know you were going to be here!" he ran over and gave me a small hug. I hugged him back giving him a small smile. 

 

"Yeah I'm here." Daehyun and I were best friends since high school. Back when I had started high school even though I was one of the younger people in my grade I had met Daehyun since he was in one of my classes. I was a junior while he was a freshman. 

 

"Dae, Channie's gonna work here since he got fired from his job!" Heechul said as he pulled out Dae's apron for him. 

 

"What? Why?" Daehyun said with a shocked expression. I explained to him the events that led up to now trying my best not to get emotional over it. 

 

"Well that's just stupid! You can work here until you find a better job then" He said smiling at me. 

 

"Yeah Thanks Heechul" I said bowing to him. "Please take care of me"

 

"Oh no thank YOU! I don't think I could go through another interview session ever again!" Heechul said rolling his eyes. "You can start tonight by helping Daehyun take out the trash. I meant to buy these new stretchable trash bags off line on G-market, but the stupid thing messed up my order and gave me body bags instead!!! How stupid right?! I mean who the sells body bags?! Anyways go take out the trash for me okay? Here's an apron for you Himchan! I’ll be on break if you need me!" Heechul tossed me an apron before walking into the back area of the bar. I tied my apron around my waist and clapped my hands together.

 

"Okay! I guess we should take that body- I mean garbage out!" 

 

"Right!"  Daehyun said leading me to the garbage bag that honestly looked like a body bag. I was sure that if we got caught with it, we were going to jail. Great.....another stain on my already tainted record....I picked up one end of the bag and struggled to lift it up properly. 

 

"Good god! How much did you stuff inside here?!" Daehyun quickly got the message that I needed help and got the other end. 

 

"Sorry hyung but the dumpster is at the very end of the alley" He said struggling with his end as well. With the day I had...things couldn't get any worse. We awkwardly stumbled our way to the back of our alley having to turn a corner. I'm pretty sure we looked pretty stupid getting rid of garbage in a body bag. As we turned the corner I bumped into something that didn't feel like a wall. I immediately dropped my end of the bag and spun around to face a person in a classy looking suit staring at me with the same expression I had on my face. Oh .....

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note: Well here's another comedy piece of mine...I love farce [Farce is a type of comedy involving misunderstandings, and compromisable situations]. I just had this thought and here it is on the internet....hope you like it. Thanks for reading! Hope to see you in the next chapter!