The Pilot

Surviving Life

“Here we are at the annual deluxe fashion show in Seoul. I’m Park JooHee with the live narrative as Asia’s top designers and models come together.” Reporter Park JooHee arrives just a few hours before the show begins. As the time passes, many guests enter, posing for photographs prior to seating.

“As the show starts, we see many celebrities all dressed in their best attire. Oh! There’s the infamous top designer, Park YooChun heading in. Let’s see if we can get a word with him.” JooHee squeezes through many others to approach YooChun.

“Mr.Park, what are your expectations for this years design?” As she put the microphone in front of YooChun, he stops to look at her, and then walks off without answering.

“Okay, well, I’m Park JooHee reporting live from Seoul.”

YunMi turns off the tv and heads over to the kitchen table. “ I hate it when there’s a big fashion event, I always have to eat alone.” She continues to pick at her food before decideing to go back to supporting her friend.

After about an hour of boredom, YunMi is finally able to pinpoint her best friend walking confidently and flawlessly down the walkway and back. “I seriously can’t believe that I stopped studying just to watch that.” Waiting for him to come out again, she eventually falls asleep on the couch.

 

The next morning she wakes up to the smell of delicious food and realizes that her best friend had carried her to her bed last night. She ran out screaming, “Kim JaeJoong! What time did you get back last night? I stayed up long enough to watch you this time!”

JaeJoong laughs at her silliness, “breakfast is ready.”

“I know. That’s why I woke up! Let me wash up first. I’ll be quick! Oh yeah, do you have anything on your schedule for today?” YunMi asks while brushing her teeth, hoping that he didn’t forget about their plan.

“Let me check… Yup. I’m all booked up, no free space.” JaeJoong acted as if nothing was wrong and answered her with a normal tone. This caused YunMi to jump out in shock.

She rinses and runs out, “WHAT!? I thought I booked you for today, Remember!? It’s our once a week family day! How could you forget?”YunMi frowned confused of how he could forget something so important. It was a promise that they both made to make sure that they would spend time together and release stress.

 

“Of course I didn’t forget. Besides my mom, you’re the most important thing to me. I’ve told you this since we were in diapers. YunMi ah, you don’t need to test me, I’ll never forget even if it wasn’t written in my schedule.”

“Aigo, mianhe ah JaeJoong, You’re just too awesome and I’m practically invisible to the rest of the world. We’re opposites. I don’t even know how you’re still friends with me.” YunMi sensed that he wasn’t happy that she had tested him again.

“You’re right, I AM crazy. Now, hurry up, finish eating and get changed. We need to go pick up HeeJin.

“Okay! Today’s gonna be so FUN!”

Watching YunMi eat, JaeJoong though back of when he was 8. YunMi was being picked on by his classmates when she was waiting for him outside his classroom.

“YA! What are you guys doing? Get away from her!” When the other boys ran away, he walked up to the younger crying YunMi, heartbroken. “YunMi ah, mianhe, it’s my fault that you got hurt. Please don’t cry. I’ll give you a piggyback ride.”

 

“JaeJoong Oppa, why are the other oppas so mean? I didn’t do anything to them.”

“I know YunMi. They are not nice people. Next time don’t wait for me, okay?”

“Aniyo, oppa. How can I not wait for you? Oppa needs to be by my side or YunMi won’t be happy.”

“Araso. YunMi ah, mianhe. I won’t ever let this happen to you again. I’ll protect you forever.”

“Okay, but if you want me to forgive you, then you have to give me a piggyback ride all the way home. Araso?”

 

JaeJoong laughed remembering her childhood face. There was almost no difference to how she looks now.

“Ya, JaeJoong ah, kwenchana? Why are you laughing for no reason? What are you thinking about? Should we stop by the doctor’s before going to see HeeJin?”

“I’m fine, just thinking back of how dorky you were back then, but then I remembered you’re still like that now.”

“Haha, very funny. I’m gonna go change now, HeeJin’s waiting for us to pick her up!”

As YunMi ran into the room to change, JaeJoong thought back of how they met HeeJin a year ago. She was just like YunMi when she was younger. Boys from school were picking on her. Right when YunMi and JaeJoong were passing by, they had pushed her to the ground. YunMi and JaeJoong immediately ran to her side to help her. After that, YunMi and JaeJoong listened as she identified herself to be living in a foster home because both of her parents had died from a car accident. Since then, HeeJin joined YunMi and JaeJoong on their family days.

When YunMi came out, the two left to go pick up HeeJin for their family day.