Chapter 5

Mnemophobia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"It looks like someone is about to come and visit you, Doctor Lee." Taekwoon spoke up a moment after Jaehwan finished talking over his phone. The doctor looks up at him, and Taekwoon could see how Jaehwan's face brightens up more after talking whoever it was who called him.

"Yes. My friend is coming over." Jaehwan nods enthusiastically. Taekwoon noticed how he was biting on his bottom lip as if to stop himself from smiling too wide.

"Say, is this friend just really a... friend?" He couldn't help but to ask as it starts piquing his interest especially when there was an apparent blush creeping on the young doctor's cheeks. Taekwoon stared in astonishment, and he started to smile broadly, feeling like wanting to tease the younger male.

Jaehwan hides his face on the palm of his hands, and suddenly starts giggling like a mad teenage girl whose crush suddenly crossed her mind. And Taekwoon just knew it. The doctor was in love. "Is it too obvious?" Jaehwan asks, peeping through the small spaces between his fingers. The little boy in the room, Yieum only sat there unaware and innocent of what the elders were talking about.

Taekwoon chuckles softly, and shrugs knowingly.

"He is... special." Jaehwan starts talking, putting his hands down on his lap. His smile was reaching from ear to ear, and his ears were beet red. "He's so lovable, and..." Jaehwan pauses and suddenly starts giggling again, feeling his own cheeks turning hot in embarrassment. "Oh, gosh. I don't know why I am talking about this to you, Jung Taekwoon ssi." Jaehwan laughs, that made Taekwoon laugh as well. "You probably think I am so smitten right now."

Taekwoon laughs. "But you really look like you are."

"Gee. This is so embarrassing." The doctor cups his own face, laughing.

Yieum was frowning, his lips formed into a pout as he felt out of place between the two grown males talking to each other.

"We should probably go now, Doctor Lee." Taekwoon finally pulled himself up from where he was sitting and Yieum didn't need Taekwoon to tell him to stand up anymore for as soon as he saw the older male stood up, the boy stood up right after. Jaehwan was a little late before he separated from his chair.

"Already?" Jaehwan looks down to stare at Yieum.

"Yes, already." Taekwoon replies. "We don't want to be rude to you and your visitor, Doctor Lee." The male was smiling but there was an implication of teasing in the tone of his voice.

"Oh, no!" Jaehwan laughs. He began to defend himself quickly. "I'm sure he won't mind. He's really kind and I'm really, really sure he won't mind. You should meet him!" Jaehwan suggests. "Yes, that's right. Especially, Yieumie. You should meet each other." He stooped down to match the little boy's level, placing a hand on the little boy's head. "He will surely love to meet you, Yieum. He likes kids like you so much."

"Really?" Yieum asks. Jaehwan nods.

"Yes. So why don't you stay a little longer so you guys could meet him?" Jaehwan straightens his back, and tips his head, looking at Taekwoon, trying to persuade the male.

Taekwoon shakes his head. "No. We really should be going now, Doctor Lee. Maybe we'll meet him next time we visit your hospital again." The older male smiles.

"Aw," Jaehwan sighs. "Okay."

"Come on now, Yieum ah. Say goodbye to Doctor Lee."

"Goodbye, Uncle Jae." Yieum waves his hands, adorning a bright smile on his face. Jaehwan reached out his hand to ruffle through his hair and patted Yieum on the head.

"Goodbye, Yieumie~ Promise we'll see each other again, okay?" Yieum nods.

"Thank you very much, Doctor Lee. See you next time." Taekwoon says.

"Yes. Let's do meet each other again, Jung Taekwoon ssi." Jaehwan answered back, watching as both Yieum and Taekwoon slowly disappeared behind the door, out of his office.

Just as soon as Taekwoon and Yieum disappeared, his phone starts ringing again and he was quick on his feet to pick up the call. He got excited after seeing that it was from the same person who called him just a little while ago. Jaehwan quickly tapped the answer button and brought his phone to his ear to talk to N.

"Where are you? Are you here already?"

'Yes. I'm now right in front of the hospital. The cab just left.' N replied. Upon hearing this, Jaehwan immediately rushed to his window and looked down, searching his eyes through the crowd on the streets. True to N's words, he was really standing across the road already waiting for the signal light to turn green so he could cross the pedestrian lane.

"I can see you up from my office." Jaehwan informs, and he saw N lifts his head to look up and they both waved their hands as soon as they saw each other. Jaehwan laughs. "Hurry up!"

'Yes, yes. I'll be right there before you know it, okay?' N was laughing back at him through the phone.

"Ey, just hurry!" Jaehwan nags.

 

 

 

 

"Who's at home right now? You never left the house without leaving it to no one." Jaehwan asks as soon as he opens the door for N. He steps aside and the tanned male enters with a smile on his face.

"Don't worry, Doctor Lee. Your father is already at home, resting on his favorite spot in the house; the sofa." N chuckles, remembering how he left Mr. Lee sprawled on the couch before leaving and going to visit Jaehwan. 

"Oh? He's already done at work? At this hour?"

N shrugs. "Says he closed a new investment today so everyone's cheering at his company. Isn't he amazing? Ah, I wanna be like your dad." The tanned male says dreamily. "He's the kindest man I have met so far, and he works amazingly. He is respectable, and just really a good role model."

"What about me?" Jaehwan inserts, blinking his eyes rapidly, trying to act nicely for N to favor him as well.

N's smiling face drops right away and he was frowning as he looks skeptically at the doctor. "Nah, don't even try to remind me about you." He replied, trying to sound rudely as possible but was actually only trying to tease the other. 

Jaehwan gasps exasperatedly. "What that supposed to mean? Eh?" He narrows his eyes, glaring at the tanned male.

N laughs.

"So, anyway, what were you doing before I arrived?"

"Oh, oh! Remember the kid I was telling you about?"

"Kid? Who- "

"The one I told you who got into a minor accident after their family van's brakes failed!"

"Oh, right, right." N chuckles. "What about him?"

"He just visited before you came. Sadly, they left already."

"They?"

 

 

 

,,,

 

 

 

YEAR 2013

 

'They saw you! How can you still lie to me right in the face?'

He could still remember the extreme disappoinment and miserable expression etched on his face. It was vividly imprinted on his mind, and most especially in his memory. His last memory of his face before he disappeared from everyone and most especially from him. His bloodshot eyes, the way his voice trembled and how he sounded so crushed and broken, and how he backed away when he tried to touch him; it pained him so much how they could be the last memory he holds of his fiance. His fiance who went missing the day after, and never came back even the days after, and now... for years.

Ever since then, Taekwoon never failed to hate himself every single day he is reminded of his fiance. He hates himself when he wakes up, when he instantly sat up from his bed and looks around to look for his missing love only to find the spot next to him empty. He hates it everytime he realizes that he was in his room, alone and his fiance still not home. He hates it everytime he walks into the living room, and he always look for the missing presence he keeps

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter