Chapter 1

Mnemophobia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Ever since he woke up from the hospital, he has been haunted with dreams that seem too real for them not to be true. Like the dreams had happened with him already and he was replaying them and walking through them. Honestly, he wasn't sure if they really are just dreams or they are something else he just couldn't figure out. Everyone, every person in his dreams seems to know him very well, and everything in those dreams just feels too familiar with him. But what stands out the most in those dreams was for every dream, he was always there. He, being the man with the dark feline-like eyes. His features are sharp, intimidating, but there was always this softness reflecting in his eyes the longer he continued to stare at them. There was always this strong feeling of sadness and longingness from him and every time those emotions flicker in those dark boring eyes, his eyes would blur with tears and he would start to cry desperately for someone to wake him up from those bad dream. He didn't want to see those emotions in his eyes. He was scared to see them. He doesn't understand why he was even scared. Something inside him just tells him to be.

No one claimed themselves as his relative for those three years he had been sleeping in the hospital. The doctor who took so much care of him every day had grown attached with him, and so he was taken in by the doctor after he woke up. It was the doctor who filled in the gaps when he opened his eyes. He was told that he was involved in a tragic car accident. A bus lost its control and crashed into the car he was driving. He was violently thrown out of his car from the impact. It didn't stop there. A trailer truck was on its way as well and before the driver could stomp hard on the pedal, it already ran into the bus blocking the road. The bus turned turtle and exploded, killing all the passengers and the driver on the spot. The driver of the trailer truck was also given the same fate.

And he, he almost died —no. He died. He was no longer breathing when he was wheeled into the ER, and his cardiac monitor visibly displayed a flat line. The doctor already pronounced his time of death. He died, but then he came back. Barely, but he was still alive. He desperately crawled back and fought for his life. The only problem was he didn't wake up right after. He went into a comatose for three years. No one knew when he would wake up until the day he did. He cried so much for a couple days mourning for the lives of the people who died from the accident. No one wanted the accident to happen, and most definitely it wasn't his fault that everyone had died. But being the only one who was given the second chance to live again, he wasn't in his proper state yet and he had no one to blame but himself.

It was a miracle, the doctor who took him in had told him. To come back to life after dying and to wake up after three years in a coma —there was no other explanation for it.

He learned that the doctor's name was Lee Jaehwan. He was twenty-four years old and he thought Jaehwan was too young to be a doctor. Jaehwan was born a genius. At the age of thirteen, he already graduated high school as the valedictorian. His parents sent him abroad and he entered college at Harvard, choosing medicine as his career. At the age of nineteen only, he finished his course as the magna laude of his batch. He was offered a job right away at one of the best hospitals abroad. It was the greatest opportunity he was ever given, and he was really really tempted to accept the offer. It would give him the greatest break anyone could ever ask for, but Jaehwan politely declined. Instead of working out of the country in a hospital with probably the best facilities all around the world, the young doctor wanted to serve for his own country and flew back to Korea. He applied and became a doctor in the place where he came from; Busan. His loving parents didn't oppose and argue with his decisions. They respected his decisions and supported him even more. They were already capable in their lives, and they didn't want to ask for more anymore. All they wanted was to see their one and only son be successful and happy with the path he chose in his life. Jaehwan's life was so picture-perfect. That was why the twenty-four years old male didn't hesitate to take him in. Jaehwan wanted to help him, because he obviously wasn't capable of —especially after he woke up with completely remembering nothing.

He remembered the day he woke up in the hospital bed confused, disoriented and lost. Had Jaehwan not provided him the answers he longed to hear, he most probably would have gone insane already. The young doctor was the one who guided him, visited him every day to have friendly conversation after he was given his medicine and helped him undergo his therapy, until he was finally granted his discharge and Jaehwan let him under his roof. He expected Jaehwan’s p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter