Leaving

Commencement

“Leave? Leave? I can’t leave!” Woohyun shouted through his empty apartment. “How am I supposed to pack in only an hour’s time?!”

He started shoving clothes into a duffle bag before running around the room and grabbing anything else he had to get. Tablo was a great friend of his, but that guy is terrifying. Woohyun knew he had to follow his hyung’s orders. He definitely did owe that guy his life. That guy was the one who practically raised him and his brother.

Woohyun had no idea if he should tell his brother or not. What would he tell his brother? Should he just leave quietly? Maybe it would be best to leave quietly. Then his brother wouldn’t suspect anything when he left.

Woohyun groaned loudly and ruffled his hair in frustration. He didn’t want to leave his brother or his job. Sure a new beginning sounded nice, but it sounded scary as well. What kind of life would he be living in London? What kind of people were these new roommates of his?

Woohyun’s phone started ringing, surprising the poor boy. He looked at the caller ID and saw that it was his brother. Woohyun quickly turned off his phone and threw it across the room. There was no way he could let his brother know he was leaving. He’s made up his mind.

A knock was heard on his front door, and Woohyun realized it was already ten pm. He picked up the two bags he ended up packing and rushed out the room, leaving the phone lying in the middle of the floor. He opened the door to a guy who was dressed all in black, who greeted him politely. Woohyun bowed back and followed him to a limo that was parked in front of the apartment building. He would be riding this limo to the airport.

“So this will be your ID to get through the airport,” the chauffeur said, handing Woohyun a passport that had his picture, yet a very different name. “You can keep your name in London, yet when you’re out and about you’ll have to use that name.”

“Wayne Nam,” Woohyun whispered, staring at the English name on his passport. At least he was keeping his last name.

 

∞∞∞∞∞∞

 

“So I’m leaving America?” Sunggyu asked in disbelief as he followed his chauffeur out to the Limo parked outside his house. “But what are they going to do at the bank? I’m one of their best tellers, you know? How can I just leave like that?”

“I don’t know, it’s not my fault,” the chauffeur said, opening a door for Sunggyu and his five bags. “What did you do to Tablo then? What do you owe him?”

“Well... When I was in Korea, he lent me an apartment for the whole year I was in college there... For free,” Sunggyu said, before it hit him. So that’s why he owed him.

“There you go,” the chauffeur said with a sigh. He then handed him a passport. “Now this is your ID for getting to London. While you’re with your roommates, go ahead and go by the name of Sunggyu. But while out and about just go by this name.”

“Soren Kim? I’m keeping my last name?” Sunggyu asked, looking at the guy.

“Yes, you’re keeping your last name. Have a problem with that?” the chauffeur asked.

“Not at all. I at least get to keep something,” Sunggyu said, happily. “Do you know who my roommates are? They must know Tablo too! I know hyung told me there was one boy he was taking care of. Oh, and there was a boy he went to visit in Japan and he was like a tutor for him or something. But that’s all I know. Are those two guys going to be my roommates?”

“I have no idea,” the chauffeur said with a sigh. “I only know about you. Everyone else I guess you’ll see on your own. Just be patient, okay?”

“You can’t just send me off to a place without telling me anything,” Sunggyu said with a pout. “You’re lucky I live in America and I’m fluent in English! I feel bad for those ones who are coming and don’t even know English! How are they supposed to survive in an English speaking place without knowing the language.

“I have no idea,” the chauffeur said with a sigh. “But I bet they’ll be fine. I think we should go.”

“But shouldn’t I tell someone I’m leaving?”

“No,” the chauffeur said sternly.

“Okay!” Sunggyu said in defeat, throwing his hands up in the air. “Let’s go then.”

 

∞∞∞∞∞∞

 

“Yes, Pastor John, please listen to my request,” Dongwoo said into the phone as he packed up his final bag. “Jacob really wants this position. I said I’d put in a good word. When I was youth leader, I always noticed his passion and strong heart for God. He’s really a great option for this position. Please please at least consider him.”

“I will do that, Pastor Jang,” the senior pastor said with a small laugh. “Why do you sound so rushed, though? Is something going on? Are you okay?”

“Oh, I’m fine,” Dongwoo said, trying to hold in his tears. “I just have to do something tonight. It’s a favor for an old friend of mine from when I was in Korea.”

“Alright, I’ll see you on Sunday then, Dongwoo,” the pastor said, before hanging up the phone.

“No you won’t,” Dongwoo whispered, dropping his phone to the ground. “You won’t, because I need to go to London for Tablo hyung. Because Tablo hyung saved my life. If it weren’t for him, I would be dead.”

Dongwoo let tears fall freely down his cheeks as he left his house. His chauffeur was just walking up his sidewalk as Dongwoo came outside. The chauffeur bowed slightly, but didn’t say anything because the pastor was crying. Dongwoo walked past him and got into the car. The chauffeur hesitantly handed over Dongwoo’s passport.

However, Dongwoo didn’t look at it for the longest time as he stared out the window. He was leaving the place he grew so attached to, and he really didn’t want to go. However, he didn’t want to upset Tablo. This was God’s calling. Dongwoo had to meet his new roommates and start a new beginning.

With that in mind, Dongwoo wiped away his tears and looked at the passport in his hands. It said his name was Daniel Jang. In this new place he will be known as Daniel, not Dongwoo. It seemed so weird and so foreign. Dongwoo didn’t know if he should be excited or not. All he knew is that he didn’t like change. Not one bit.

 

∞∞∞∞∞∞

 

“Hyung, where are you going?” Bam Bam asked ask he followed Hoya out of their room, who was carrying two very large suitcases.

“Bam Bam,” Hoya said, turning on the young boy. “I need to go somewhere for a couple days. Take care of Mom and our soccer team for me, will you?”

“But who will coach us?’ Bam Bam asked with a small frown. Hoya wanted to cry seeing his brother. If it weren’t for Tablo, he wouldn’t even have Bam Bam right now.

“I have a good friend coming to take over for a little while. Remember In Guk?” Hoya asked him. “He’ll teach you to be the best goally in the whole entire world!”

“Really?! In Guk hyung?!” Bam Bam asked excitedly.

“Yes, In Guk hyung,” Hoya replied, nodding his head just as there was a knock on the door. “I have to go now, Bam Bam.”

“Can I call you, hyung?” Bam Bam asked with a pout.

“I’m sorry Bam Bam, but I have to leave my phone here. I’ll try to call you when I can,” Hoya assured his brother.

“Okay, hyung,” Bam Bam said with the biggest pout, breaking Hoya’s heart.

He gave his brother a quick hug before turning away and rushing out the door. He couldn’t face his brother anymore. His best friend in the whole wide world. After his father died, Hoya realized he wouldn’t have a brother. He was only seven. Tablo brought Bam Bam into his life. Because of Tablo, he has a brother. That’s why he has to go away.

“Let’s go, before my brother tries to follow,” Hoya told the chauffeur. “Don’t say anything until we’re in the car.”

“Alright,” the chauffeur agreed.

The chauffeur didn’t say anything until they were at least ten minutes away. He passed a passport over to Hoya, who read over it quietly. So his name would be Harry Lee. That’s simple enough. He didn’t really didn’t want a new life. He wanted to stay with his brother.

“Do you think Tablo will let me see Bam Bam?” Hoya finally asked. “I’ll miss my soccer team, yes, but I don’t know how I’ll be able to deal without my brother.”

“Since your brother is the reason you’re leaving, I can guarantee that you will be able to see him. Don’t worry,” the chauffeur said with a sympathetic smile. “You and Bam Bam will be reunited, don’t worry about it.”

“That’s all I need to know,” Hoya said with a small smile. “As long as I can see my brother at some point, I’m okay.”

 

∞∞∞∞∞∞

 

Sungyeol was outside an hour before his chauffeur was even there. He was so excited to get out of here. His kids were so rude and he couldn’t take it anymore. He was ready for a new beginning. He was ready to meet new people and start new friendships.

A black limo finally pulled up and Sungyeol jumped up from the porch. He practically ran to the limo with the biggest smile on his face. He greeted his chauffeur as he jumped into the car. He only had one bag of luggage, but that’s all he needed. He didn’t need anything else.

“Let’s go! Let’s get out of here! Jebal!” Sungyeol cried, slamming the door closed. “I need out of here as soon as possible! I can’t take it here anymore!”

“Wow, I didn’t think you would take it like this,” the chauffeur said with a laugh. “I thought you would be at least a little sad.”

“It’s the world’s biggest nightmare here,” Sungyeol said, shaking his head. “I need to thank Tablo hyung so much for this! He’s done so much for me, but this is just so much!”

“So why is he getting you out of here anyway?” the chauffeur asked him.

“Because he paid for my college,” Sungyeol said. “I graduated way earlier than the rest of my high school class and I didn’t have money to go to college... Tablo hyung got me in.”

“Ah, wow, that’s amazing,” the chauffeur said, nodding his head. “Tablo’s an amazing guy! Do you know what he did for the other’s you’ll be living with?”

“What’s that?” Sungyeol asked.

“He practically raised this one boy and his brother. I don’t know any names, mind you. I just know the stories,” the chauffeur said. “One boy he gave a free apartment to so that he could go to college. Kind of similar to your story. Another, well, he saved by donating blood to him, because he was in a car accident and lost a lot of blood. Another he tutored in Japan so that he could achieve his dream. Another... He gave him a little brother. He brought a small orphan from Thailand and gave him to the boy and his mother, because the boy desperately wanted a brother. The last boy, Tablo donated a lot to his family, who almost went homeless.”

“Wow,” Sungyeol whispered. “He’s a great guy. I love Tablo hyung. I can’t believe he did that much.”

“I know. He’s amazing,” the chauffeur agreed, nodding his head. “Anyway, here’s your passport.”

Sungyeol took the small booklet the chauffeur was holding out of his hands. He read over the information and smiled at the name. He’s always wanted an English name. Samuel Lee. That was just perfect.

 

∞∞∞∞∞∞

 

“Tablo hyung! Why won’t you answer your frickin phone?!” Sungjong screamed into his phone as he sat on his bed, refusing to pack. “I finally got an internship! You know that was my dream! Why are you making me move now?! This is so unfair! I can’t have a new life! Not yet! I’m just getting started with my new life! I know you gave my family everything you could! But why, why are you taking away something I finally have? I hate you hyung! I hate you so much!”

He slammed his phone to the ground, which shattered to pieces. Hot tears were falling down his cheeks and he just couldn’t take it. He was having a great time in Paris. He didn’t want to leave. There was no way he could leave. What was he supposed to tell Jessica?

Groaning in frustration, he started yanking at his hair. He couldn’t do this. Not now when everything was finally going so well for him. He didn’t care if he’d get new roommates or whatever. He always wanted to become a designer. It just wasn’t fair!

He groaned once again before standing up and angrily throwing things into his suitcase. He made sure to pack his sketch book, because he would at least have something he could enjoy. It took him about two hours to pack, and just as he finished the house’s owner came up to his room saying someone was there for him. Sungjong ignored the owner’s questioning looks as he made his grabbed all his bags and pushed passed him. He then stormed down the stairs and shoved pass the driver to get into the car.

While in the car, the chauffeur kept trying to talk to Sungjong, but Sungjong ignored him. He wasn’t in the mood to talk. He was pissed off at everything. He couldn’t take it at all. He just wanted to curl up in a little ball and die.

How could his hyung be so cruel? He loved his hyung, but this was way too much. He can’t just change his life just like that. It was uncalled for and altogether unforgivable. Sungjong wished there was another option. He would do anything, but it seemed like he couldn’t.

“Hey, sir,” the chauffeur said slowly, finally getting Sungjong’s attention. “C-can I give you your passport?”

“Yeah, sure,” Sungjong whispered.

The chauffeur slowly passed it over to him, and Sungjong took it. He quickly scanned through it,not caring what it said. However, the new name written under his picture caught him by surprise. He sat up straight and read it over and over again. Why would he give him a new name?

“Why is my name different?” Sungjong asked, looking at the back of the chauffeur’s head.

“The sake of safety, I guess,” the chauffeur said, shrugging his shoulders. “I don’t really know.”

“I see,” Sungjong said, slowly nodding my head. “So I have to go by Steven Lee now?”

“I guess so,” the chauffeur said with a sigh. “I guess so.”

 

∞∞∞∞∞∞

 

Myungsoo sat in the hair stylist place, letting the stylist dye his hair black. For his whole acting career, they dyed his hair blonde and had it spiked. If Myungsoo was moving away and starting a new life, that meant he had to change his looks as well. Maybe looking like a normal Korean would work.

Once the stylist said he could go, Myungsoo stood up and left without another word. He then took out a pair of glasses and set them on his face. What the public didn’t know is that he had really bad eyesight. It was time to go back to wearing glasses on a daily basis. Maybe being a nerdy Myungsoo would work out for him.

As soon as he got back to his dorms, he checked his phone and saw that he had a little over an hour left to pack. He packed a few clothes and hair products. He then scanned the dorm for anything else, and only deemed his guitar important enough to take with him. With that in mind, he walked out of the dorm room so he could meet his driver outside.

This whole commencement thing sounded so fresh and addicting. Myungsoo was ready. If he couldn’t go to Korea and be an actor, then he would gladly go to London and start all over again. He would finally be living with other Koreans, which seemed nice. Maybe he’ll finally make some friends.

A black limo pulled up, and Myungsoo quickly got inside. He gave the driver a small greeting, before staring out the window. They passed many places that had huge posters of him staring back at him. He didn’t have to stare at himself anymore, which made him very grateful. Since when was an actor this famous, anyway?

The chauffeur handed him a small booklet, which Myungsoo recognized as a passport. Once he saw that his name was changed, he silently thanked Tablo over and over again. This man was a life saver, and Myungsoo couldn’t begin to explain how thankful he was. Mason Kim. That sounded like a perfect name for him. Myungsoo couldn’t wait. A new adventure was about to begin.