HOPE

HOE-TEL

Ok here's another short chapter for you guys! 

I just want to clarify for those on the verge of having heart attacks: THIS IS A YUNJAE! So whatever happens throughout, it's just a way of leading to the final OTP.

Don't kill me! 

________________

Walking down the plain white corridors, Jaejoong for once was able to keep his smile. The hospital had always overpowered him in the past; no matter how happy he’d been going out of the florist, the intimidating white building always chased the smile away with its stale smell of disinfectant and a sense of general despair in the air. Jae knew there were many who came and went with joy and hope, but the place had been merciful to those people, whereas he hadn’t left the daunting corridors once with any hint of mirth. It felt to him like the little joy he brought from outside was out of him as soon as he stepped into the organised chaos of white.

But not this time.

Lost in his own reverie, he didn’t realise he’d already reached his destination. Taking another whiff off the colourful bundle in his hands, he smiled as he slid the door gently open.

There she was, still as always; looking fragile beyond belief, Kim Euna, his only remaining family. He hated to look at her sunken cheeks, it reminded him of how his mom looked before she’s passed away; he wasn’t in any way ready to let Euna go. He just couldn’t, it’s the one thing that could certainly break him.

He moved towards the little cocoon of blankets and cushions on the bed; he’d brought her favourite items from what remained of their home before it’d been ceased, and requested the nurses to keep them in her room. He was just lucky the nurse in charge of Euna was a genuine person. Though if he was being honest, he knew that Dr Park would have made sure the best care was given to her.

“Hi Princess” he bent down to place a gentle kiss on her forehead.

“Dara had your precious Tulips ready, and here they are. Dum da dam” he childishly declared before bringing forth the flowers. “They smell as nice as always off course. It’s a shame you refuse to wake up and smell them” he continued as he went to her bedside table to change the tulips with the fresh ones. He made sure to change them every fortnight to keep the freshness in the room. As he was about to throw the old ones in the waste basket, nurse Nina walked in.

“Oh, hello sweetie! It’s nice to see you again. I see the fresh supply has arrived. Euna you should really show your appreciation to your brother. It must be hard to get a hold of fresh tulips so often” she said facing Euna, with a bright smile. They both knew she wouldn’t respond, she never did. But watching how Jae refused to treat her like…a corpse, the nurses all had come to terms with having silly one-sided conversations with her, especially when Jaejoong was present.  But he knew that nurse Nina was one of the few that didn’t change her attitude just because he wasn’t around; it gave him peace of mind when he was at work.

“I know right. I mean, the least she could do is stop being so stingy and give me a kiss. Is that so much to ask for?” he dramatically accused with a wave towards the nurse, whom smiled at him in return.

“So how has she been doing?” he wondered, sitting on the bedside as he held and Euna’s hand.

“All her vitals are steady. She’s doing really well with cardiovascular responses. Dr Park is very proud of you, and I’m sure your brother will be too. Well done!” Nurse Nina congratulated from the other side of the bed as she continued to check the machines next to her and ticked a couple of things on her sheet.

“That’s great! See, Eunie? If you continue like this I’ll be the happiest person and I’ll even overlook your lack of hugs and kisses, ok?” He smiled down at her, pleased with the report.

“Everything seems good for now. I’ll give you two some privacy. Have a good evening if I don’t see you Jaejoongie” she wished him sincerely before smiling down at Euna and going out. Just before leaving, she turned around, “Oh yeah, Dr Park will come in to take a few measures in a while” she said before swiftly exiting. Jaejoong nodded and turned around, kissing Euna’s hand.

“I have good news. I finally asked Dara out! And guess what Princess? She said yes! Can you believe that?” he rambled on about how unexpected it was. To any onlooker it may have seemed like she was listening to what he was saying, and that was exactly what Jaejoong always believed. He was sure she could at least hear him, if not respond; he took comfort in that. After all, people did say coma patients could hear and understand what was happening around them, they just couldn’t respond back. That was enough to give Jaejoong hope for the last seven years.

“Yeah, yeah. I know I should have asked earlier, but hey! Don’t point fingers, young lady. It’s not like you gave much moral support. Your poor old brother had to go through the struggles all on his own.” He said with a funny look on his face, completely unaware that Park Yoochun, Euna’s trusted doctor was looking at him with an endearing smile. It was times like these that had the doctor keeping hope in his patient’s recovery; that bright streak of hope in Jaejoong’s eyes shone brighter than any unsuccessful recovery attempts.

“So what do you think I should do for our first date? I was thinking maybe a nice restaurant, but that seemed too mainstream and somehow I don’t think it’d be very special for her. What about a day out. I could pack a picnic…” before he could continue with his excited conversation, Yoochun came from behind him.

“I think the picnic is a good idea, and I’m sure Eunie agrees with me. Don’t you?” he startled Jaejoong with his sudden appearance; the latter being a little embarrassed that he’d had an audience of two, instead of the one he was comfortable with. He cleared his throat.

“How do you know she agrees?” he asked, not really wanting to change the topic. After all, he could do with another man’s opinion on the matter.

“Well, because you’re right. The restaurant is too typical, though you don’t want to make it too unique either. That always leads to disaster. Aren’t I right Eunie?” he enquired with a smile on his handsome face. Even though they’d gone to the same high school, the two had never been close. In fact they hadn’t even talked until graduation day, where Yoochun had been praised for successfully being accepted into one of the prestigious medical schools in the country. But Jaejoong could confidently say Dr Park Yoochun was one of the nicest people he’d met, and he was glad they’d met again in life.

“What do you mean by ‘too unique’?” Jaejoong asked curiously leaning down with his hands cupping his cheeks.

“I mean, if you’re going to go for the picnic, make sure there are still some elements of the restaurant romance. For example, when you pick her up, take a bouquet of roses with you…”

“That won’t work. She works at her dad’s florist.” Jaejoong interrupted with a finger in the air before Yoochun finish.

“Oh. Is that where you keep getting those troublesome flowers from?” Yoochun crinkled his nose, looking at the offending flowers in question.

“Hey, just because you have allergies doesn’t mean you should bash Mother Nature’s creation – which is much more appealing than your forehead anyways” Jaejoong said with a challenging smirk on his face.

“Watch it. You don’t want to be humiliated in front of your sister now do you?” Yoochun retorted, not really offended. Hey! It’s not like his forehead was a secret. Besides, he was mature enough to take the jab like an adult….kind of. 

__________________

AN2: I wasn't really sure I wanted to introduce Euna completely, yet...but here she is anyways. Let's hope everything goes to plan. There might be some mistakes and bad decisions made, but please bear with me as it's my first time trying something like this.

Thanks, and let me know what you all think?

Good plot? Too cliche...?

Opinions are welcome...