SHATTERED FRGAMENTS

HOE-TEL

AN: I am so so so sooo sorry for the long time it took to update! //grovels

You can't blame me! My muse for this story had eloped!

Hope this makes up for it...

....................

 

It was just before dawn when Jaejoong got the call.

He hadn’t been able to get much sleep the night before, thanks to his useless argument with Changmin about some stupid documents that he’d been told to come in to complete on his day off. Granted, Changmin rarely ever told any of the employees to work overtime so Jaejoong should probably have been more cooperative. But damn it if his nitwit of an apprentice hadn’t tested his patience to the limit that evening. First he’d gone missing during lunch time and Jaejoong had to spend an entire hour searching the building for his whereabouts, with no one being the wiser. After he’d been found, the idiot had sulked all day long, not paying attention to anything he was being told or evening bothering to at least act remotely attentive.

At the end of the day, Jaejoong had received another call from Changmin to drop Yunho off at his office…again. Unfortunately, he’d been too pissed off at Yunho to be reasonable to Changmin’s request. Really quickly things had gotten ugly, ending in Changmin threatening to demote him if he continued to disrespectfully shout at him. That had shut him up, but he’d continued to glare holes on the surface of Changmin’s desk, refusing to meet his eyes.

After some calm talking from Changmin, and Jaejoong trying his best not to punch one of the two possible victims in the room, they’d come to an agreement. Though Jaejoong still stood by his word stating that “Those ing documents are not urgent and could have easily been given to someone else to complete”. Changmin’s response had been another blank stare with a meaningful glance towards Yunho, who to Jaejoong’s surprise hadn’t said even a single word throughout the whole confrontation.

Feeling like he’d reached his limit for the day, Jaejoong roughly searched his pockets and picked out Yunho’s phone which he’d placed there earlier when searching for the man. He tossed the offending device at its owner before marching out of the office with not so much as a goodbye. In his haste to get away from the suffocating environment, he’d missed the annoyed look Changmin shot Yunho’s way, and his guilty one in return.

The hardest part of the day had been calling Dara to cancel their plans, after his daily visit to Euna. He’d spent forever contemplating how he should go about it. At the end it had occurred to him that she’d probably be asleep if he didn’t call soon, and so he had dialled her number, nervous as hell.

By the time it was done, he was in a much better mood. Dara had neither been offended or hurt, she’d just laughed it off claiming that work was important, though Jaejoong had noticed a hint of disappointment which he’d kicked himself for. He wasn’t really bothered about having to work an extra day, it was the thought of cancelling his plans with Dara that had had him refusing to give in to his manager’s request. It wasn’t fair to do that.

That was the thought running through his head as he tossed and turned for hours, finally falling asleep near dawn.

Only to have his mobile ringing insistently a few short hours later.

“Kim Jaejoong-sshi?”

“Yes?”

 “Dr Park has asked that we inform you of Kim Euna’s condition suddenly taking a turn for the worst…” That was all he’d heard as he jumped out of bed, not paying any attention to what he wore as he blindly grabbed his jacket and keys, running down the stairs of the small apartment complex. In his frenzied state, it took a couple of tries to get the car door open and drive towards the hospital, as fast as he possibly could without killing himself or someone else.

By the time he’d arrived at the designated room, he was completely out of breath and on the verge of a breakdown. He was too scared to let his brain wonder over the possibilities, hence he’d tried to keep his muscles moving as he sprinted his way from the parking lot, refusing to entertain any negative thought. No. He absolutely would not think in that way. He couldn’t. No. Euna was fine. She had to be. There was no other option.

His hands were shaking as he reached for the door, sweat steadily making its way down his clammy temples. How could this have happened? He’d talked to Yoochun only hours ago and had been told Euna’s condition was the same if not better. What, then could have happened?

His heart was pounding so hard, he didn’t realise he’d stood there staring at the door.  His mind went blank. Momentarily, Jaejoong was completely lost to the world as his mind tortured him with the thought of not having his baby sister in the world anymore. It didn’t register in his mind that nurse Nina was calling to him; trying to pry his hands away from the handle to the white door as she tried to give him good news and sooth the terror that was so obvious in the stiff posture of the slim body.

Nurse Nina had initially thought the boy was having a panic attack, but the lack of such symptoms showed otherwise. She’d managed to remove his hands and led him to the row of grey benches lining the wall. Still the pale face didn’t show any signs of becoming aware of his surroundings. He was almost in a trance-like state. Knowing he had something to do, something he should be worried about, but for the life of him Jaejoong couldn’t bring himself to remember anything. Everything was blank.

Yoochun had just come out of the emergency room with a relieved, yet tired smile on his face when he saw the nurse trying talk to Jaejoong. The latter didn’t seem to be listening at all. Or was not able to. Strange – naturally he’d expected Jaejoong to barge into the room and stand right next to Euna, holding her hand. Seeing him in the corridor rather than inside with the patient worried him.

As he approached the only two occupants of the hallway, he was shocked to see the empty expression on the usually happy and hopeful face. From all the years he’d known Kim Jaejoong, Yoochun had not ever seen him so completely devoid of any emotion. It scared him. Jaejoong was a tender creature that constantly sought out love, and always – always- hoped. It was one of the most admirable traits the young doctor had ever witnessed in anyone.

But the man sitting stiffly on the edge of the hospital bench was not a hopeful one.

“Jaejoong?” he tenderly called, crouching on his feet in front of the shivering form.

“It’s not a panic attack. I think he’s just shocked…” Nina informed, worry clear in her voice.

Yoochun called his name again, this time reaching for his shaking hands; they were cold despite the warmth radiating from the heaters around the hospital.

“Jaejoong-ah. Euna’s fine. Jaejoong are you listening to me? Eunie is absolutely ok.” He continued to repeat that same thing over and over, speaking in a low volume as though talking to a frightened animal, all the while running his thumbs soothingly over the others palms. Despite his gentle efforts and nurse Nina’s reassurances, in the end it was a very normal thing that woke him from whatever stupor he’d gone into. A phone call.

Jaejoong slowly blinked, seemingly a little confused. But things quickly came into sharp focus as he saw the face of the doctor. He in a sharp breath, immediately rising to his feet. He was about to demand why Yoochun wasn’t with Euna, taking care of her, when the doctor in question quickly interjected.

“She’s fine!” the tension visibly left Jaejoong, as he seemed to almost deflate, releasing the breath he’d been holding. His hands went to cover his face as tears threatened to spill at any given moment. As much as he wanted to celebrate and hug the life out Yoochun for the news, the incessant vibrations of his phone coupled with the shrilling ringtone were starting to irritate him. He reached in his back pocket to retrieve the offending device, but it cut off just then.

“Well, now that you seem more like the bright-faced young man I’ve come to know, I can go about my work with an easy heart” declared nurse Nina, eyes crinkling in the corners as she smiled at him, wanting to caress his cheeks but stopping herself just in time.

As the motherly woman walked away, Yoochun smiled at Jaejoong, clamping a firm hand to his shoulder. He was just as relieved as the nurse to see that distinguishable spark in Jaejoong’s eyes return. Yoochun was a smart man. He knew that he needed Jaejoong’s bright spirit and hope-filled heart to keep him sane, too. After all, Euna meant as much to him as she did to Jaejoong.

He plopped back down onto the bench, the energy seemingly seeped out of his system.

“Do you need a minute?” asked Yoochun, once again crouching down in front of him. Jaejoong just sighed, not quite sure what he was feeling. It was moments like these that he seemed to completely lose track of himself. But as he stared onto the sincere eyes of the doctor, his heart found a little peace.

There was something about Park Yoochun. Those unique scars on his cheek, the heartfelt smile and gentle way he spoke; they always managed to heal the wounds battering Jaejoong’s soul. He didn’t know the man personally, but there was an unspoken bond formed between the two, courtesy of the patient they both cared so much for. Unknowingly to Jaejoong, the doctor felt the same way towards him.

“She’s going to be ok, right?” Jaejoong whispered, so low that Yoochun just about heard it. The little tremble in his voice displaying his fears. Yoochun clasped both hands on his shoulders giving him a somewhat stern look.

“Stop those thoughts in their tracks.  Go in Jae. See her. She needs you.”

He needn’t be told twice.

 

***

 

“Alright. Yes. I’ll finalise it with the chairman myself, just send me a copy by this afternoon.” Changmin was tapping his fingers on the screen of his private phone while talking on the business main line. He was contemplating the best way to put Jaejoong in his place for not answering his call. How dare he walk out in such a grand fashion yesterday and refuse to answer his call today?

He’d been sympathetic to some extent yesterday considering it was his – or rather Yunho’s – request that had ruffled the red-head’s feathers. But, Jaejoong was late.

Jaejoong was never late.

The only explanation Changmin could think of was that Jaejoong was being plain childish and silly. Refusing to come to work on time simply to spite his manager was not something Changmin would tolerate. And so, as he clicked the office phone off his mobile was already in his hands, Jaejoong’s number dialled and ringing.

“Hello?”

“Hello!? That’s all you have to say?”

“Changmin?”

“Yes, Changmin. Didn’t you…” before he could finish his sentence and deliver a burning earful, his brain registered Jaejoong’s small, hesitant voice. Suddenly, he had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach.

That voice could only mean one thing.

“What happened?”

“Ohm. It’s just…I can’t…”

“Are you at the hospital?”

“Yeah”

“How is she?”

“Alright I guess.”

“You guess?”

“Well, she’s out of immediate danger…I…I can’t come in today. Sorry, I’ll get the stuff done whe…”

“Jaejoong. Did I accidently fry your brain cells during our argument, yesterday?” that exasperated question managed to elicit what sounded like a snort – but probably was a giggle.

“Stay there Jaejoong. Come in when you can.” There was no danger of that freedom being abused. Changmin knew well enough that Jaejoong was as dedicated to his work as he himself was.

As they both said their goodbyes, Changmin was unexpectedly irritated with Yunho. It didn’t sit right with him that Yunho had chosen to hide his position, but still outrageously ordered him around. That wasn’t fair now was it? With that thought in mind he exited his office in search of a particular tall, handsome and friendly employee. 

......................

AN: This was going to be a very long chapter, but I cut it short because it had taken long enough as it was to update. So, in a way this chapter is split into more than one part...the next part will be in the form of chapter 10...

There are just a few minor details I need to figure out before writing and posting the next chap.

Leave me a comment below if you liked it!