A Glimpse of Beauty

Defining Beauty [HIATUS]

 

 

IV. A GLIMPSE OF BEAUTY

*The story will be using the 3rd person point of view from here on out.

*Warning: A swear word was used in this chapter

 

 

 

 

 

“So tell me, what is beauty to you?”

 

 

My wife.

My husband.

My children.

When my boyfriend walks me home.

When my girlfriend makes me lunch.

The way my grandmother reads me bed time stories.

The flowers my best friend grows for me in her garden.

The dress I bought for myself after months of saving for it.

The new shoes I bought using my first salary.

The house our family worked hard to build.

Nature.

The sunset that gives me a sense of warmth.

The light of the full moon when it doesn’t hide behind clouds.

 

 

 

“Wow, we got a lot of footage,” Taekwoon said as he checked on the camera. “See a common denominator in most of their answers?”

“Um… people?” Hongbin guessed dumbly with a sheepish grin.

Love, you idiot!” Taekwoon replies, hitting Hongbin on the head.

“Love? Nobody mentioned love.”

“Hello? My wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, children, etc. These are people that mean the most to them. To them, beauty is personified in the people they love, and in spending time with those people.”

“Oh… wow. Never thought of it that way.”

“There are two other factors. First, remember the girl who saved up for her dress? The guy who spent for his shoes, and the family that built their house? To them, working hard for something—tears, sweat and blood—then finally seeing the hard work pay off, that’s beautiful. It’s like getting to the finish line at the end of a race.

Second, someone mentioned Nature, sunset, and light from the full moon. To them, Beauty is seen with the eyes—a mix of color or a certain event, thing, or person that attracts them.”

“Man, hyung… you’re really good at this. Well, your best subject is Logic class.”

“Focus Hongbin. You’re still curious why I said that Beauty to me is Black and White, right?”

“Yeah!”

“Then I’ll tell you, but only if you concentrate. When you win the contest, when Kyuhyun picks you, then I’ll let you know what’s on my mind. But right now, you need to keep your head in the game. So listen, I think I have an idea for your presentation.”

“What is it?”

“A documentary. A documentary about your journey in finding what beauty means to you. Have you ever fallen in love, Hongbin?”

“Oh… um, I think I’ve had a crush once in grade school, but now? I’m in love with photography, does that count?”

“No, I mean in love with a person. That usually brings the sunshine out of anyone, so I’ve heard.”

“Sorry. I can’t say that I’m interested in anyone.”

Taekwoon let out a tired sigh. “Ok. Let’s talk more at Jinki-ssi’s Chicken Diner.”

 

 

 

“Hey boys!” Onew greeted as soon as he saw Hongbin and Taekwoon.

“Good afternoon, Jinki-ssi.”

“How many times do I have to tell you guys? My best customers get to call me Onew hyung. That’s not so hard is it? Hahaha.”

The two boys went to their usual table at the corner.

“I’d like some Lemon Chicken, please,” Hongbin ordered.

“I’ll go for the Spicy Fried Chicken, and one can of Coke,” Taekwoon followed.

“Coming right up,” Onew said as he jotted down the orders on his little notepad.

“How’s your wife doing, Onew hyung?” Hongbin asked.

“Luna? She still sings in the shower even though I tell her not to because it disturbs the neighbors,” Onew said as he shook his head, a smile gracing his face. “I bet Taeminnie dances in the shower because of her.”

“Hmm…” Taekwoon takes out the camera and hits the record button. “What’s beauty to you, Onew hyung?”

“To me?” Onew thought about it for a while. “Family. They’re the most beautiful blessing that God bestowed upon me,” he said.

Onew said it so sincerely and passionately; the sweetest smile directed at the camera. Anyone looking would know for sure, that nothing defined beauty more to him than his loved ones. Hongbin tilted his head to the side in thought. He didn’t exactly have something like that. Sure he loved his family and Taekwoon too, of course; but Onew had something more. Hongbin wanted to find that and keep one for himself.

“Hey boys, I have a new waiter joining today. Someone who’s actually darker than Minho. He’s a little snarky, plus he looks just like Kim Kai, so put up with the lad ok? He’s already giving me a migraine.”

“Thanks Onew hyung!”

tumblr_inline_mnmuc6ixnF1qz4rgp.gif

 

“Why do I have to serve in this dingy diner?” Kai whined.

“You get free lodging, free food, and we’re hiding you too. You don’t expect not to work for it, do you? Silly little dear~” Luna chuckled as she was busy in the kitchen. “Plus Minho and Taemin are out today for their football practice. Jungkook is young and still needs help tending to the customers.”

“He’s younger than me! He can do it! Children are fast learners!”

Luna just snickered. “My my, Kim Kai is quite the baby, aren’t you honey? You should be happy I made time to dye your hair blond when you got here last night. It helps people not to recognize who you are, and if you work as a waiter, all the more you will be hidden.

Now, go serve this to the nice young customers,” she said as she handed Kai a tray. “Remember to wear your nametag!”

 

 

 

“Hi I’m Kkamjong, here’s your order. One Lemon Chicken and one Spicy Fried Chicken with a can of coke.”

“Wow… You really do look like Kim Kai,” Hongbin gawked.

“Well, I haven’t heard that one before…” Kai replied in sarcasm, rolling his eyes.

“And you really are a snarky one,” Taekwoon concluded.

“Go f*** yourself,” Kai snarled.

Taekwoon and Hongbin’s jaw dropped. Did this guy just cuss? Apparently, Jungkook heard the whole thing.

“Onew hyung! Kkamjong-ssi just used the ‘F’ word!”

 

tumblr_inline_mnmuc6ixnF1qz4rgp.gif

 

“Sorry for my co-waiter. He’s still new to all this,” Jungkook apologized as he gave the two their tab.

“No worries, Jungkookie. Here’s for all your trouble,” Hongbin handed Jungkook a tip.

“Wow! Thanks! I’ll be able to take Jimin out for some ice cream later. He’ll be so happy,” Jungkook said as he blushed.

 

 

Taekwoon and Hongbin soon left the diner, making their way home for the day.

“Jimin’s a guy, right?” Hongbin asked.

“Yeah. Didn’t you know Jungkook swings that way?” Taekwoon replied.

Hongbin’s eyes widened. “Oh? I thought Jimin might have been a friend, but you’re saying that…”

“Yeah, that’s exactly what I mean. You don’t judge gay people, do you?”

“Well, no, of course not. We’re all people here; there’s no need for discrimination.”

“What about you?"

"Me?"

"Are you sure about your ual orientation?”

“Um… I’ve been straight for as long as I can remember. So I guess I’m straight. You?”

“Same.”

 

The way to their houses meant passing by the school again. Their conversation stopped when they heard someone singing. As Hongbin listened intently, he thought that the voice sounded rich and soothing; the tone low and pronunciation smooth. This kind of voice was amazing; something unheard of. He could hear his heart pounding at this melodious person’s gifted vocals. The song was enchanting. It was… it was…

 

Beautiful.

 

“What?” Taekwoon faced Hongbin, surprised by what he heard. He immediately took out the camera and pressed record. “Could you repeat that Hongbin?”

 

“I said that voice, it really sounds beautiful.”    

 

 


Author's note: 

The characters are finally coming together :3  Comments anyone?