Be Back

Defining Beauty [HIATUS]

 

 

II. BE BACK

 

 

 

“Kai, maybe you should rethink this.”

“No. They want to work me to death? Fine, let them suffer without me.”

“I understand training’s been really rough this past three weeks, but-”

“Understand? You don’t ‘understand’ Sehun. While the rest of the team only got mild addition to their training routines, I specifically got a new framework designed to squeeze the life out of me.”

“But Jongin, you have the most stamina and skill out of everyone in the group. I’m pretty sure you’re capable of handling it; you’re making it seem harder than it actual is.”

“Whatever. I didn’t sign up for this shiz. I don’t like it, so I’m out.”

Sehun sighed. “You know if you leave, the team might lose courage. Everyone’s counting on you. And you do owe the company this much, don’t you think? Your sponsorship is worth a fortune.”

“I don’t care. I just don’t like my training routine.”

“Then geez, why not talk it through with the coach and your manager? Make compromise?”

“I don’t do compromise. If they’re not down with what I want, then I might as well leave for a bit.”

 

Sliding on my backpack, everything was set. Sehun was giving me an exasperated look. Oh, brother.

“It’ll just be for a while, Sehun. I need a break, ok? Let’s see them work things out without me in training,” Kai smirked. “Bet they’d regret ever working me to the bone.”

Sehun let out a tired groan. “You’ll be back before the tournament right? Even just on the day before? We’ve been planning to kick there for months.”

“Yeah, yeah; don’t get your in a bunch.”

Sehun glared at me. “Remind me, why am I friends with you again?”

I just laughed.  “You tell me.”

 

I opened the window of our room and got out.

 

Not a word to anyone. Clear?”

“Depends. Be back a day before the tournament, ok?”

“I got it, I got it. Sheesh. There’s more to life than shooting hoops, you know?”

“Back when we were kids and when you weren’t such a sick prick, life was all about shooting hoops. Now you’re just some cocky narcissist with a head bigger than my aunt’s fish bowl.”

“And yet you still love me.”

“I’m trying to.” Sehun frowned, eyes furrowing as he did so. “I kind of miss the old Kim Jongin. Kim Kai is so unfamiliar.”

“Yeah well, Kai has a lot more to show for than Jongin ever did. See ya. Don’t forget to lie to the press. ”

“You better be back for the tournament, Kim Jongin! And be safe…”

 

 

 

 

“Here’s your room key. Your room is on the second floor, at the end of the corridor. RM 18A. Thank you for staying and have a pleasant rest.”

“Thanks.”

 

It’s a good thing I’m wearing shades; the receptionist didn’t know it was me. Which is pretty weird because really, I think my striking good looks would stand out even with shades on.

Oh, there’s the elevator. Ok, let’s see—second floor.

  

 

Ding

 

 

My room is… here. Wow, not bad. The beige walls give off a warm feel, and the white fluffy curtains are nice. The wooden furniture seems to be made of Nara, and the bed is soft and bouncy. Buffet for three meals a day, twenty-four hour room service, and a breath-taking view of the bustling Seoul night life.  Perfect. I could stay here forever.

 

 

Beep

 

 

(11:30 PM)

Fr: Sehun

To: Jongin

You’re at the Pioneer Hotel, aren’t you?

 

(11:33 PM)

To: Sehun

Fr: Jongin

So?

 

(11:35 PM)

Fr: Sehun

To: Jongin

You are so obvious. There are other hotels in the area, but you just had to pick the one with five stars. Manager hyung will know you’re there. You can stay for the night, but tomorrow you better find a more discreet getaway. Unless, of course, you want to get caught early; that would be fine too.

 

(11:37 PM)

To: Sehun

Fr: Jongin

I knew I kept you around for a reason~

 

 

(11:39 PM)

Fr: Sehun

To: Jongin

Shut up and go to sleep. Good night. You should appreciate how much I’m covering for your .

 

 

After the conversation with Sehun, I set down my backpack and prepared to go to bed. While lying down, I tried to think of possible hide-outs. Maybe it would be safer if I stayed with someone rather than in hotels. Many names of acquaintances popped in my head but none I could really trust. Most of my high school buddies definitely wouldn’t be able to keep their mouths shut since I’m a big shot now. College friends? Aside from Sehun, no one’s a decent secret-keeper. Hmm…

 

Oh.

I think I know just the guy.

 

Opening my phone, I went over the very few contacts I bothered to keep. There was Sehun’s number, and three to four delivery hotlines of my favorite fast food diners. No way would I ever give my number to manager hyung; that guy’s too nosy.

Hmm…

Ah! There’s the name Iwas looking for.

 

 

“Breaking News! Basketball star Kim Jongin, popularly known as Kim Kai, has gone missing! Roommate and team member, Oh Sehun, tells the media that he had no idea what happened.

 

Oh Sehun: “We came back home from training yesterday, like we usually do. Changed into fresh clothes, ate some dinner and then went to our room. We greeted each other good night and slept. Next thing I know, I wake up to an empty room. He was gone.”

 

Media: “He didn’t leave a single note? Nothing?”

 

Oh Sehun: “I’m afraid not. And he’s not really fond of using cell phones, so no one knows if he even really has one. Just ask our team members—none of us knows his number.”

 

Media: “How do you feel about this sudden act of disappearance? Do you think he’s betraying the team? I’m pretty sure all of you are busy working hard for the global tournament.”

 

Oh Sehun: “Yes; it’s true that we have been training really hard for the tournament. Maybe that’s why I can’t bring myself to ever think he’s betrayed us. He’s a trust-worthy person, despite being cocky and over-confident most of the time; you could even say he’s a bit hard-headed. But I assure you he’s someone you can rely on, and that he's a good guy.

Being our best player, his training schedule is more rigid than ours. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it—if he just wants to lay low for a while and take a break—but nonetheless, I trust him completely. I’m sure he’ll be back for the tournament.”  

 

 


Author's note: 

Third update :D Comments are welcome~