How Do We Start?

Defining Beauty [HIATUS]

 

 

I. HOW DO WE START?

 

 

 

“Rise and shine, porcupine!” I greeted the lump under the covers, jumping on his bed for good measure.

A groan was heard. “How did you get in? The door was locked.”

I stopped bouncing enough to answer. “I know you keep the spare key in that potted plant just by the door.”

“…  You are a stalker,” he said as he shifted a bit under the blankets.

“Hyuuuung!” I whined. “You said you would help me!”

“Yeah, I know, but I didn’t say I’d wake up at seven in the morning for you!”

“Then, when do you plan on waking up?”

“Give me an hour more. Go watch television, or something.”

I stuck my lower lip out in a pout even though he couldn’t see it. “Ok…”

 

I got off the bed and went to the living room. Taking off my backpack, I lied on the couch and the TV; absent-mindedly flipping through channels until one caught my attention. It was an interview of him. I smiled because I’ve watched this already, being the avid fan that I was.

Oh, did I forget to mention who I was? My name’s Lee Hongbin and I’m twenty-one years old. I guess you could say I loved photography. Cho Kyuhyun’s my hero—he’s known for his expertise on the field of cinematography. He’s worked with many famous directors, actors, models and artists; he’s taken pictures of beautiful sceneries, greeneries, expressions and moments. My goodness, he’s just so incredibly good!

The guy I was trying to wake up earlier was Jung Taekwoon. We’ve been friends since forever. He’s actually anti-social, but we’re neighbors and I bothered him (still do) all the time. Eventually, our beautiful bond of friendship was born~ It’s basically me just annoying him with all my sunshiny-radiance and him glaring at me for being an intolerable brat, but what can I say? I’m just that happy-go-lucky kind of guy. And I think we sort of balance each other anyway, if you know what I mean (because he’s like the King of Blank Expressions).

Anyways, just two days ago I finished a two-week photography workshop sponsored by Kyuhyun’s company. On the last day he came over to congratulate us, and even said one of us could be in his upcoming gallery and trip to Germany. Of course, that just has to be none other than Lee Hongbin! Now, I have two months to capture what beauty means to me. And because I have absolutely no idea how to do that, I asked Taekwoon hyung for help—which I suppose was a weird idea, now that I think about it, because the guy hardly ever smiles unless he’s watching something sadistic and gory. Well… whatever!

Since he’s sleeping though, I shall help myself to hyung’s cereal~

 

 

“Ok look, what’s your plan?”

“I don’t have one.”

“Are you some kind of idiot? You want to win that contest, but you don’t even have a plan!?”

“That’s what I have you for~”

“Ugh, why do I even put up with you?”

“My charms, hyung. My irresistible charms.”

“You have a brain the size of rice grain.”

 

Taekwoon hyung and I were sitting at the swings in the park. Awfully childish for guys who were over twenty years old, but believe me: our maturity stopped at the age of fifteen. Well, mine did anyways.

 

“So what do you think I should do hyung?”

“Well, first of all, since the theme is ‘Defining Beauty,’ what is beauty to you?”

“Umm… I guess fireworks are beautiful? And girls from girl bands are beautiful too?”

“Is this your own definition of beauty, or the world’s definition of beauty?”

“Uhh… perhaps the world’s? I think? Never really thought about my own definition.”

“I see. That’s your problem: you need a definition that is uniquely yours.”

“Oh… What about you, hyung?”

“Me?”

“Yeah. What’s your definition of beauty? And please don’t say blood.”

“Hmm… Beauty is… Black and White, I guess. Don’t ask me why; I’ll tell you when I feel like it.”

“Well, that doesn’t help very much.” I pouted. “You need to tell me the reason.”

“That’s too much work for my brain cells. How about on Monday we go over to the clubs at school and interview them? I’m sure we’ll get some answers. Don’t forget to bring your camera for documentation.”

“Got it. Thanks hyung.”

“By the way, have you heard the news?”

“What news?”

“About the Basketball Star Kim Jongin, known as Kai. Apparently the guy’s gone missing. The whole of South Korea’s looking for him, especially since he’ll be part of the global tournament. ”

“Since when were you interested in basketball?”

“I’m not, but everywhere I go that’s all I hear; might as well spread the gossip.”

 

 


Author's note: 

Still no lovey-dovey moments yet~ >_< Please be patient with me, it'll come soon :D Just don't want to rush the plot ^_^ Comment any feedback!