The Scenes Without Him

Anime Moments

Rubbing their hands together from the chill, Liyin and Meili meet up with the others at the entrance. 

"Are we good to go," Yifan asks. Luhan taps his feet impatiently behind him as Song Qian quietly types away on her phone. Meili smiles at him, nodding as they pass a group of students entering the campus. Amid them, a tall boy with black hair, excitedly having a conversation with his friends catches her eyes. His broad grin stays put in place as she walks past with her own smile, not looking away until they're past each other. She takes a quick look back and catches him doing the same and turns away in embarrassment. He's cute, she thinks, really cute with that messy mop of hair and excited air about him.

"I just had a moment," she sighs. Luhan raises an eyebrow and Meili gives a quick account of the cute guy on the street. 

"Too bad he's gone," she muses sadly."…. I'll never see him again. Dammit! Why didn't I go back for his number!" 

"Aww, too bad," Yifan says, without looking really sorry at all as Meili gives her the best angry pout she possibly can. She wraps her jacket around herself tighter and edges close to Yifan for warmth. 

"Cover yourself up better," she hears Tao tell Liyin behind her. "You'll get cold." In front, Jiayi quickens her pace, no doubt having heard that comment. Meili sighs, looking over at the passing cars to avoid watching Tao or Jiayi and the accompanying awkwardness. 

"Where's XingXing?" She asks. 

"He's asleep," says Luhan from behind her. "So can we get some beer?" Yifan, to whom the question is directed, glares him into silence. "'Kay, no, I get it." 

Liyin quickens her pace to join Meili who hooks an arm through hers. Meili takes a moment to take in the calmness of suburban Seoul, enjoying the tranquility occasionally shattered by the odd passing car or bike. There isn't anyone on the road, occasionally students, rushing to catch a train home, or a drink in the pub. 

"Don't you think that cafe looks like an anime," Liyin breathes and Meili takes her eyes off of the road, pausing as the shorter girl drags her to a halt. It isn't too big a cafe, with barely Sox tables inside and one countertop near the back window whose glasses are a tinted red, making a brown interiors look like a dream. Meili takes in a slow breath. 

"Are you thinking about him~" Liyin asks slyly. Meili feels her ears turn hot as she jerks her head away. 

"Pft. Nah, let's go." 

"You know you wanna~" 

"So what if I wanna?!" The boys turn back and Meili offers them an awkward smile before lowering her voice to an embarrassed hiss. "Okay yeah fine, but I feel stupid right now for being so upset okay!" Liyin just grins. 

They spot a 7-11 ahead. Luhan hints at beer again, with Yifan glaring him down and Meili and Liyin rush in to buy goodies, running around the store and reading the names off of the packaging with unnecessary glee.

As they return to the rooms, they see a sleepy Yixing exiting in his pajamas, almost pushing a stranger out the door. He doesn't take the cue though, enterin Yifan and Tao's room with the others. 

"So this is… uhhh…. Li Hong?" Wonders Yixing with a yawn. "I woke up and saw him in my room! The creep! What the hell was he doing there!?" He glares at Luhan who throws his hands up in the air.Liyin eyes him warily as Hong eats their snacks and keeps a strong grip on her pudding,passing it quietly back and forth between only the girls to keep it out of Hong's sight. For his part, the newcomer doesn't make himself any more likable to the group by planting himself into the chair near Yifan's bed and plugging into the Wi-Fi. He doesn't say much, staring with a half-drugged gaze at everyone in the room. 

"So we'll be off to sleep now," Meili says awkwardly, unable to bare the silence in the room any longer. She scurries off with Liyin at he tail, laughing only when they're down on the second floor. 

"How weird was that!" Liyin says between laughs. "Such a creep! He kept staring at us!" 

"And poor Xinggie. He apparently stood there while Xing slept and poor guy was scared to hell when he woke up!" 

Liyin flops down upon her bed, having been taught how to make it properly by Meili earlier. 

"Umm… can I tell you something…?" Meili nods.

"So Tao's being really nice to me, which I appreciate but he's only being nice to me in presence of Jiayi and it's making me uncomfortable because I din know if he knows but Jiayi likes him! She'll hate me soon!" 

"I don't even know what to say to that…" Meili stares at the ceiling and recounts several events that have nothing what so ever to do with Liyin's predicament and runs her fingers through her bangs. "It's not your fault though so let it be, okay? It'll blow over!" 

"Hmm… and Meili, don't worry, Jongin will be all yours tomorrow!" 

 

The following morning brings a message from Amber to assemble in front of the dorms and Meili finds herself awake by six thirty am slamming her fists on the boys doors to awaken them. Surprisingly it works. Even more surprisingly, Luhan is already awake and near dressed. Not so surprisingly, Yixing throws her out, calling her much too loud for the morning.

"But I'm your communicator, you can't do this to me!" 

"Yeah? Well I excommunicate you, Miss Communicator," says Yixing with a grin before closing the door. Needless to say Meili fumes all the way back to her room. 

Breakfast is as lavish as dinner the night before, though Meili sticks to her staples of chicken soup and bread, handing her rice bowl off to Yixing, who accepts it with the resignation of one accepting his ill fate. 

"There's jelly in the morning! Hallelujah ~" Meili exchanges a quick high five with Liyin over the table top. Yifan groans. 

"Not with the jelly again. It looks disgusting." 

"You take that back!" Meili says in mock horror, drawing herself and her dish away from him. 

"Please, drop that wobbly and have some pork." 

"What?! Uhhh…. No thanks…." Meili quietly shovels more jelly into . "Oh oh prezzie! Did I tell you about my moment guy last night!" Yixing raises his head, his interest mildly piqued.

"Shoot you and your moment. You stared at a guy on the street. Big whoop!" Luhan rolls his eyes as he stuffs himself with more bacon than should be possible. Meili stares for a !moment in wonder.

"I had a Moment okay! Don't deny me my Moment!"

They go return to the dorms to pick up on their things before heading out for the orientation. Before they can proceed however, Meili stops, catching a blazing trail of green down the stairs. 

Jinghua, the girl from Qingdao she's spoken to the previous night emerges in a bright shade of red lipstick, a massive set of ear hoops and a long green gown enough to put an evergreen forest to shame— all at nine am in the morning. It explained her absence at breakfast but didn't really explain much else. 

"Why on earth…." Song Qian says, giving the dress a horrified look from her corner. Meili avoids saying anything at all, except to smile awkwardly and move over to where Soojung stands and quietly asks,

"Where are the others?" 

"Others…? Oh well Amber and Jinri are waiting in the room for orientation but the others have class this morning so they won't be here." 

"Oh…. I see." She musters a smile anyway. So much for wowing Jongin. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reviews will be welcomed with milk and cookies ~ ♪