The First Meeting Scene

Anime Moments

 

"He's kinda cute, you know…?" Yifan looks at his little sister, Meili, as she sticks her tongue out at the screen of her tab. The Communicator of the student conference program stares at a PDF of the Korean students, two of whom they were to meet shortly.

"Really now?" He gazes impassively at her, with an air of pretended nonchalance evident to Meili.

"Come on! He is! Or the pic looks cute… I'll be sorely disappointed if he turns out to be not cute…" 

"Who doesn't turn out to be cute?" 

Yixing, the president of the Chinese students, slips into the chair opposite Yifan and looks at her curiously. 

"Kim Jongin," she hands him her tab. "He's cute." Yixing hides a smile at the excitement. By the time Luhan and Tao have joined them in waiting for the two Koreans, Meili has proclaimed that Kim Jongin belongs to her and her only.

"It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Kim Jongin has an anime voice, now would it?" Teases Yixing. Meili pouts furiously and then looks at her tab.

"Maaayyybeee…?" She says, twiddling her thumbs. "Never mind that! Tao! We need to practice your Korean!" 

"My what?" Tao stares. 

"Korean! You can't greet them in Chinese!" 

"I'll greet them in English," says Tao, crossing his arms before him. "Like 'yo man~ wassup man~'. They'll love me." Meili rolls her eyes him. 

"Taozi bro, we need you to not be a national embarrassment so repeat after me- 'Annyeonghasaeyo. Choeummannasseo pangapsumnida'." Tao and Yixing blink at her. "What? Chop chop boys, you need to say that!" 

Meili spends the next fifteen minutes explaining to both on the various pronunciations and Yifan and Luhan take the time to double up laughing over Tao's poor pronunciation. Unfortunately for them the Koreans take too long in arriving and Luhan leaves, being replaced in the group by Liyin who walks in breathless from her classes.

"Umm…. Hi?" Meili turns sharply at the sound of the the voice to face Kim Jongin's boyish smile. She stares at him for a second, before her face breaks into a brilliant one of her own. She half bows and half extends her hand, breaking into a shy laugh when Jongin shakes her hand and introduces himself. Surprisingly, Oh Sehun smiles at her when she introduces herself to him. I thought he thinks I'm an annoying kid, she muses while shaking his hand, guess not. She glances over at Tao and sighs in relief as he doesn't pull off his 'yo man', and instead resorts to smiling at the boys.

As they leave to walk around town, Meili lags behind, too shy to approach Jongin for a conversation, but unable to endure her shyness. 

"Is it always this empty?" She doesn't quite register Sehun beside her. 

"Oh…. Well this part of town is. Where else have you been today?" 

Sehun pauses to wonder and Meili thinks to herself very sparingly about how tall he is. Most of her attention is taken away by the fact that Liyin is talking to Jongin and so is her gege. 

"We went shopping." 

"That's nice….. I'm sorry my Korean is so poor," Meili laughs. Sehun shakes his head. 

"Not at all, you're really good." Meili blinks at him. Last night she wouldn't have expected that remark from Sehun, in fact he sounded like he'd rather be diving into a shark-filled pool than be talking to her. 

"I'm… I'm really not…" she mutters. 

"No! You are! And your accent is really perfect," he smiles. Meili breaks into a shy smile of her own.

"Thank you but I still have a long way to g—" 

"Yeah I was into kendo,"she hears Jongin say and almost trips over her own feet. Kendo!! Could he be more anime?! 

"That's pretty cool!" She exclaims and then quails a little at the smile Jongin sends to her. 

"Sehun was into taekwondo," he comments. Meili looks at the boy beside her.

"Really? That's awesome." 

Sehun smiles, his eyes turning into crescents as he shakes his head at the compliment. Meili looks over at Jongin again and Yixing, having had enough, steps in between her and Sehun, pushing her ever so slightly forward so that she falls in step with Jongin. 

"Don't kill me for talking to him," grins Yifan as he moves away. Meili almost hisses at him and then realizes that Yifan is speaking Chinese which neither Sehun nor Jongin understand.

"Ge—! I'm not going to—!" 

"Just talk already," mutters Yixing in Chinese. Meili is about to retort when she realizes that Jongin is looking at her and smiling. And she dies a little inside. She stares st her feet mostly, while talking of her favorite Korean manhwa and movies and gets excited when Jongin has seen most of them too. 

Then she falls back into step with Sehun because talking to Jongin turns her into a shy tween and she's not really proud of it. He smiles a little too often and it drives her crazy.

All in all she's totally regretting that she can't speak to him while speaking to Sehun, while not really registering her conversation with him. What was it? Anime….? Cars…? Something about an arcade…? She barely knows. He's nice for sure, but she's too taken in by Jongin to care.

"He's totally mine," she says, while walking home that night. "Liyin can have Oh Sehun but if anyone touches Kim Jongin they'll have to deal with me." Yifan almost smacks his forehead in resignation. So he'd have to deal with his little sister growing up. And hopefully not kill Jongin in the process.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments are alwaya appreciated ~ :3

Xiexie