Rookie

Lonely Musings

Zelo’s lips connected with the dirty soil, his skateboard bouncing off his head.

“Give it up already, loser.” Taemin spat.

“Yeah, loser. Get the hell out of here.” Another one followed up.

“You’ll never be like us, ever!”

Still unsatisfied, the upper class skateboarders donated free kicks and punches so that the amateur stayed loyal to the ground.

When their voices faded with distant footsteps, Zelo forced himself back up, tears raining down his bruised cheeks. He didn’t want to be a baby, but everyone treated him like one.

Why is it wrong that he wanted to learn skateboarding? Is it illegal if someone like him wanted to try something new? Why was everyone like this?

He just said ‘Hi’ to them, nothing bad about it. He wasn’t trying to be like them or join their clique, let alone challenge them in any way.

A warmth trailed down his neck and the moment he touched it, he realized it was blood, lots of blood. He only stared at the dripping patch of crimson liquid on his trembling hand.

Clenching the stained hand, his tears overflowed his face and drop by drop the crystals fell to the ground. He sobbed, moped and cursed at himself. Why did he have to be so worthless..

“So you’re the newbie.” A girl’s voice intruded his ears.

He looked up, wiping tears off his face and sniffed. The girl was average looking, but something about her piqued his interest.

Holding a hand out, she said, “Come on. They’re just annoying jerks.”

She helped him on his own skateboard and guided him along the tracks, not letting go of his hand. It was a new feeling for him, but he liked it.