Chapter 5

Tell me when

 

 

"I bought them" Taemin announced nervously to his friend on the other end of the line.

"The rings? Wow Taem I was pretty sure you'd chicken out but I guess I was wrong about you. Good job."

"But don't you think this is too much? I mean, I'll take him to a fancy restaurant and then I'll give him the ring, he might think I'm proposing or something. And then he'd run away and hate me. He might never talk to me again and I'll just die."

"Taemin you seriously need to stop panicking. Those are just couple rings, a lot of friends wear them so I see no problem here. And everyone has a right to go to a restaurant with a friend right? Besides I doubt he'd think you are proposing when you guys aren't even in a relationship... Yet."

"Okay so what do I say? I don't want it to come out weird or something."

"I'm not gonna tell you" Kai booed through the phone. "If you want to sound sincere you should say what you really think and what you feel rather than learning a few sentences by heart. Don't be nervous and remember he's your beloved hyung okay? And call me later to say how it went. Bye!"

"You're no help." Taemin pouted and left his room.

 

He found Onew in the kitchen, making himself some coffee. He leaned against a counter and took a few deep breaths for courage.

The leader then turned around and smiled. "Oh hi Minnie. What's up? Do you want some coffee too?"

Taemin screeched in surprise not really ready for the attention. He then cleared his throat and looked up at the older. "No thanks."

"Okay" Onew said and turned around going back to making his coffee.

"A-actually I wanted to ask you something."

"Oh? Go ahead then."

Taemin's eyes wavered, going back and forth between the leader's eyes and his feet. "I was thinking if maybe you would like to have dinner in that restaurant our manager recommended."

"The one where he celebrated his wedding anniversary with his wife?"

The younger nodded and stared frozen at Onew's face waiting for an answer.

"Sure, we can go there if you want to. Can you tell the other members? I'm sure they'd like to try it out too."

"A-ah, umm... I was thinking that maybe we could go alone? J-just the two of us?" Taemin asked and lowered his head blushing.

"Where are you guys going?" Key asked making Taemin jump a little, startled, then blush an even darker shade of red.

Onew poured himself the coffee he made and turned around to look at Key. "That restaurant where our manager celebrated his wedding anniversary."

"Oooh going fancy I see? I want to go too, when are we leaving?"

Taemin dropped his gaze to the floor, disappointed, because this is not how he imagined his dinner with Jinki hyung. He bit the inside of his cheek pouting.

Onew made an apologetic face and stuck out his bottom lip to win Key's heart. "I'm sorry Bummie but I'm going alone with Minnie today. Another time, okay?"

The maknae's ears perked up at the words, his lips stretching into a wide grin he tried his best to suppress.

"Oh... I see, so this is how it is? Fine then." Key turned around to leave but not before smirking meaningfully in Taemin's direction.

"So Taemin... I hope you own a nice suit because they won't let you in in that Micky Mouse hoodie."

 

 

"Taemin-aaah! Are you ready yet? I'm dying of hunger here." Onew whined, all dressed up and waiting for the maknae to finally come out of his room.

"Just a second hyung, I'm having a little trouble with the tie, it's been a while since I tied one myself."

"Just come out Taemin-ah I'll help you take care of it."

A few seconds later the door to the maknae's room opened and Onew smiled warmly, his eyes sparkling. "You look really nice Taemin-ah. I think I missed the moment where my cute little Minnie became such a handsome young man. You're all grown up now." he took a few steps towards the younger and untied the knot Taemin made.

The younger blushed at the compliments and the proximity of the leader's face. He could smell the older's cologne which made his heart thump a little faster. "Y-you've always been handsome hyung." he muttered and let his gaze drop to his own feet.

Onew smiled softly. "Is that so?"

Taemin nodded eagerly and the other tightened his tie.

"Done." Onew took a step back to take a look at his work. "Perfect. Now, let's go before I pass out or something." he smiled and made his way towards the front door, the maknae's eyes following him fondly.

 

 

 

"The food here is really yummy but the portions are ridiculous. How do they expect me to eat my fill with something this small?" Onew pouted and poked his shrimp with a fork.

Taemin only smiled in response. He had a great time but now that they were finishing their food he was staring to become nervous since he still had to give his hyung the couple ring. He slid his hand into his pocket and squeezed the velvet box anxiously.

"Taemin-ah? Are you okay? If you're feeling unwell we can go back home."

The younger bit his lip. "I'm fine hyung. It's just... I-I have something for you."

"For me? What is it?" Onew asked excited.

"Umm... Y-you probably know that already but you're a very important person for me hyung... You've always been by my side no matter what and took care of me as if I was your real younger brother. I really appreciate it hyung." he smiled to himself and looked up at Onew. "Do you remember hyung? The day we met on the roof? Now, when I think about it it really was like a scene from a movie. You, singing to the clouds and me silently admiring you from the back... You're a really great person hyung. Back then we had no idea we'd end up in the same group and yet you helped me improve my singing when the teachers gave up on me, saying I was a hopeless case. I'm really thankful I got to meet someone like you... Being in SHINee with you was probably the best thing that happened to me..." he smiled, his eyes crinkling. "...I really love you hyung."

Onew pressed his lips together, a small blush appearing on his cheeks.

"I know it's not much and it's cheesy and you totally don't have to wear it if you don't want to but..." he grabbed the box inside his pocket and placed it on the table. "...I'd be really happy if you did..." Taemin mumbled and dropped his gaze to the floor, his cheeks flushed.

Onew reached out for the box hesitantly and opened it glancing at the younger. There were two silver rings inside with some stuff engraved in English on the inner side. He pulled one out and slipped it on his finger. "Thank you Minnie, it's really pretty." he said smiling. "You should probably put yours on too, isn't that how it works?"

Taemin nodded grinning and hurriedly put his ring on, a huge weight lifted off his chest.

Onew then reached out for the younger's hand and slowly laced their fingers together admiring the rings. "Looks nice doesn't it?"

The younger squeezed the other's hand happily, his heart fluttering. If it was possible he just fell even harder for his hyung.

 

 

 

 

 


Thank you for reading, I hoped you enjoyed this chapter ^^

Once again, thanks for each and every comment you guys left, it means a lot <3

Btw I hope I'm not updating too often lol. It's just that I have some free time right now and I thought why not do something productive..