Wish I Could Press Rewind...

PS: I'm Still Not Over You

So many things I wanna know the answers to
Wish I could press rewind
And rewrite every line
To the story of me and you

 

----------------------------------------

Love; What is it really? In the movies, love is always about happiness- butterflies, fireworks and flowers- and then comes pain-jealousy, misjudgements,tears. It's own share of HELLOs and the heavy burden of GOODBYEs. Destiny? Yeah, I believe in destiny alright. In fact, I am in a very contented relationship with the person I am destined to, though I know he was only borrowed. He is my “God's Will” and I've come to love him too much for my own good. However, even though he's my destined one, I know very well we will eventually end with a GOODBYE.”

 

“Hey baby.” My train of thoughts interrupted as he s his very well toned arms around my neck, kissing my temple in the process.

 

“Youngbae, you're 10 minutes late.” Turning my body to him, with a pout that he could never resist visible in my lips.

 

“I know, and I'm not even sorry. Standing by the doorway for 10 minutes was worth seeing you're y thinking-face. It's cold out here, why didn't you bring a jacket?” He took off his jacket hurriedly and gave it to me.

 

“I was in a hurry.” I sat on the edge of the rail. This particular apartment rooftop had the best view of Han River, though the building itself wasn't that high, and because of that it became mine and Youngbae's favourite place. I used live here for 3 years until I moved 5 months ago, and the rooftop access was because I knew the guards downstairs.

 

Youngbae stayed rooted to his spot at least 2 metres away from me.

 

“Dara.” I looked at him, with an idea of what was coming next. The look on his face was so pained, and the hunch I felt was confirmed.

 

He didn't move an inch from where he stood. He opened his mouth only to shut them again, trying to find the words he needed to say. He paused, but not for a long time. Finally with all his courage, he spoke.

 

“We have to break up.” Then a tear escaped from his eye. I know he loves me and knowing that satisfied me, but that will never be enough compared to having him love me and belong to me completely.

 

Have, he said have, which means he wasn’t given a choice. I could see he was was trying to control his tears, just as much as I was. Crying will not solve anything. Maybe it could have helped if it was his decision to break up with me. I got up from where I sat, and slowly walked towards him. With a few steps, I was in front of him, staring at the most gorgeous face, I hugged him with so much love.

 

Flashback

Just as I stepped out of my bathroom, I heard my phone ring endlessly. I ran to my bedside table where it was re-charging it's battery.

 

Hello?” I answered not bothering to look who the caller was.

 

Hey Dara dear, I hope you weren't busy.” I stopped drying my hair with the towel and looked at my phone screen just to confirm who it was then quickly put the phone back to my ear.

 

Oh hey Aunty. No, I'm not busy at all.” It was very rare to have her ring me personally since she would always contact Youngbae whenever she wanted to see us or even if she just wanted to talk to me.

 

It turns out she wanted to have a lunch with me and talk about something. I was so nervous on the way to the meeting place. Even though I meet Youngbae's mum at least once a week within our almost 2 years relationship, I never get nervous, but today somehow was different. With her calling me personally must be very important.

 

Aunty.” I called out when I got in front of her. With her invitation, I sat on the opposite chair.

 

Why don't we eat first before we talk.” This made me even more nervous and suspicious.

 

Unlike the usual, this meal was quiet, with questions thrown at me here and there every once in a while. At one point, she asked about mine and Youngbae's relationship.

 

We're very good, though little arguments here and there, 'cause he's silly like that, but we always make-up at the end of it.” Talking about Youngbae was my most comfortable subject. With a smile now plastered on my previously tensed face. She stopped eating and slowly put the cutleries down to her plate. My smile now replaced with a worried look. She looked at me like I was so pitiful.

 

Yeah, that's part of a healthy relationship.” Though she said that, her face didn't look as contented as it should.

 

Dara dear, you see..How do I put this? Uhm...Can't you break up with my son?”

 

End of Flashback

 

“Dara, I don't think this is such a good idea.” Youngbae tried protesting, but as stubborn as I am, I didn't let go.

 

“Just...just 5 more minutes, okay?” Now with tears streaming down my face, I hugged him even tighter. Eventually, he hugged me as tight as I was hugging him as he buried his face on my neck, sniffing my scent that he always claimed he loved. With one last tight hug, we finally let go of each other, with tears in both our eyes.

 

“Won't you tell me the reason why?” I sobbed, even though I already know the reason why, I want to hear him say it knowing it would break my heart yet again.

 

“Not knowing the reason may be better.” Wiping his tears away, he looked at the sky and inhaled deeply with hands in his jeans' pockets.

 

“No, I want to hear it. We need closure, and not telling me would never bring us closure.” I could see him look worried. With much hesitation, he told me everything, the same exact story his mother told me.

 

Flashback

 

Pardon?” I asked with shock obvious in my voice.

 

I'm so sorry Dara,but you see, Youngbae was never really yours completely. He was already set to be engaged to the only daughter of the company owner where Youngbae's father works as a Managing Director. Youngbae pleaded to date you thinking the daughter's mind won't change about cancelling the marriage, but just 2 days ago, the company owner Mr. Yoo called to meet us to discuss about further plans about their relationship. I'm really sorry dear.” Mrs. Dong looked genuinely concerned. She liked me, at least that's what Youngbae said. He had told me his family liked me a lot.

 

You're both only 22, still young. You've plenty of time to find that special someone.” She held my hand after I put down my utensils, my appetite gone.

 

I seriously have no idea what to do next. I can't possibly be so selfish and tell them Youngbae was and is mine completely. I'm just gonna have to wait and discuss this with Youngbae. Whatever he says, I'll go along with the plan.

 

End of Flashback

 

----------------------------------------

 

I looked at the small calendar I picked up a moment ago intently. Today, it's been exactly 4 years since Youngbae and I went our separate ways. You can say I'm totally not over him. I still love him...very much. A month after the break up, I decided to quit my job as a secretary where Youngbae's dad worked. Even though I wasn't bitter about his family's decision, I just couldn't stay in a place where I would see his dad, giving me a 'sorry' look everyday.

 

After quitting the job, I was stuck at home for at least 2 weeks doing absolutely nothing. My friends were getting very concerned about how I was going to get by without a job, and so since one of them was going to Japan, they advised I go along. I am so thankful to have friends like Bom, Chaerin and Minji. Using almost the last of my salary, I bought a plane ticket to Japan while Chaerin said she'd let me stay with her there and help me find a job whenever she's free. Bom and Minji were on full support.

 

The ringing of the phone in front of me brought me back to reality. I settled the calendar down quickly into it's usual spot and cleared my throat.

 

“Moshi Moshi.” The other line was so quiet. At least 5 seconds later, someone cleared their throat.

 

“Ms. Park, can you come in here please?” It was my boss. Right after saying that, he hung up.

 

I stood up from my chair, brushed some crease off my grey pencil skirt, straighten the collar of my pink blouse, and tucked strands of my short hair behind my ear. When I was in front of my boss' office door, I softly knocked 3 times, waiting for his confirmation before entering the room.

 

“What can I do for you Mr. Lee?” I straightened up in front of him as soon as I reached his desk. He was facing the window behind the desk, looking through something on his iPad. Then he swivelled his chair to face me with a childish smile plastered on his face. He settled his iPad on the table, and the 'something' I thought he was looking through in his gadget turned out to be a game of 'Angry Birds'.

 

“Close the blinds will you?” He pointed towards the full glass window behind me, where you can clearly see the people working under him doing their own stuff. I strutted my way towards the window and pulled a string on the side to close the blinds. I turned around and started my way back to see him get up from his chair, went into the front of the desk and slowly leaned his tall frame on it. When I got in front of him, he took one of my hand and slowly pulled me towards him for a hug.

 

“Mr. Lee. We can't be doing this during office hours.” I tried pushing him away from me, but obviously, that was the wrong move. He only tightened the hug and buried his face on the nape of my neck, kissing it softly in the process.

 

“It's Minho for you.” He ended the hug and cupped my face, giving me a passionate kiss on the lips.

 

My boss is the only one in the company who speaks Korean to me, since the few amount of Koreans working in the company refused to speak the language, or speak to me in that matter. Lee Minho, who is a year and a few months older than me, cousin of my best friend Lee Chaerin, and my current boyfriend. Landing a job in this company was because of the help of Chaerin, but of course it's not without my ability to be a capable secretary. I've been working at this company for nearly 3 years now, but we've only been going out for about half a year. At first, obviously everyone at the company was gossiping about me having connections, that's why I got the job of being the secretary of the Managing Director's son. Minho is half Japanese, with his father being the Korean. The company was passed down to his father after the retirement of his Japanese grandfather.

 

“It's almost time to go home baby. Only 1 more hour left.” He was still sitting on his desk with me in between his legs, with his arms wrapped around my waist. He slowly bent his head down for another kiss when we heard a knock on the door. I quickly wiggled my way out of his hug and straightened and fixed myself, carefully wiping the outline of my lips inspecting for lipstick smudges.

 

His father's secretary came in after Minho told him to.

 

“Sir, your father will be waiting for you at the car park in 10 minutes. He said to go back together.” Speaking in Japanese. I remembered coming to Japan knowing only the basics, with Youngbae's help who taught me the language a bit before when we were still together. Living here for 4 years made Japanese my 3rd language after Tagalog. With that, the secretary left after bowing respectfully to us, with me returning the gesture. Minho took all important documents in a suitcase, gave me a last peck on the cheek then left.

 

On my way to the car park, I saw Chaerin checking herself out on my car's side view mirror. I walked slowly, my eyes on her still, observing her actions. Then I saw her wipe then blow her finger for an imaginary dust she apparently got off my white Sport Range Rover, and finishing off the action with a wriggling nose.

 

“Yah! I clean my car frequently you know! Don't wipe an imaginary dust off my precious baby 'coz there's none.” I do admit though, my car is always squeaky clean.

 

“Unnie! What took you so long?” The younger girl asked in frustration. She's only a few months younger though.

 

“As if you weren't enjoying your vain moments with my side view mirror, and just incase you can't see, I was working. You're at my workplace, remember?” I opened the back seat door and carefully put my bag on the chair, then I heard her running footsteps to the the passenger's side. She was already settled, seatbelt on with her bag on her lap, when I took the driver's seat.

 

“What are you doing here anyway? And where's your car?” I started the engine, put my seatbelt on while I slowly stepped on the gas.

 

“I took the taxi here from my workplace. I wanted to have dinner out so I came here to invite you. And that panda took my car without permission again!” I could only chuckle at the silliness of her boyfriend. Even though the guy was the same age as Chaerin, he acts like he's still 5.

 

“Seungri took your beloved Mini again? Rin-ah, I'm worried that your boyfriend may be gay. He likes your Mini so much.” I was just maneuvering, driving my way to our favourite restaurant, since I assume she would want to go there anyway.

 

“Yah! Ssantokki, don't say that. Some guys drive Mini Coopers too you know!” I let out a small laugh, imagining Seungri driving a black convertible Mini. It really does not suit his image. The guy loves to act cool, though sometimes he might succeed- like in front of the camera- but mostly fails – like in front of Chaerin.

 

Chaerin has been going out with Seungri for 2 years now. Me and Chaerin still share a 2 bedroom apartment though, but the baby panda would always stay over, at least twice a week, especially whenever I do overtimes to keep Chaerin company. They met through Chaerin's friend and fellow stylist at a party with models and local designers. Seungri was one of the models and apparently liked Chaerin's designs and so they got along through that. Chaerin once told me that Seungri's family moved here from Korea since he was 14 years old.

 

We got to the restaurant, and I could hear Chae's rumbling tummy, which made me hungry as well. After parking, I took my bag out, made sure I'd locked the car doors and followed her inside. Since we were regulars, the staff would take us to our favourite seat at the very end of the room where the beautiful garden was visible. We ordered the usual as they gave us some starters and our drinks. Chae took out a sketchpad and pencil and started drawing away.

 

“Another show?” I nibbled on some chips while extending my neck to see her drawing.

 

“Yeah. Fashion Week is in a month and 2 weeks, but I need to do at least 30 designs so we have a lot to choose from. Everyone's doing the same, and it's really hectic at the atelier right now.” She didn't look up once, and just concentrated on designing. She asked questions about colours, fabrics, length etc. as she showed and presented me her work. We were on our desserts now when my phone vibrated on the table and saw Minho's name and image flash across the screen.

 

“Hey?” I was curious as to why he rang. He would never call me whenever he's with his father, avoiding the fact that his family, especially his mother's side, doesn't like me all that much. In fact, once, I heard his grandmother call me a social climber that one time I visited them at their place with Minho. Even though it was a quiet remark and Minho didn't hear it, I knew the older woman made sure it was only audible to me.

 

“Baby, where are you?” I heard him shut a car door and softly spoke Korean to someone in the background.

 

“I'm eating dinner with baby Rin. Have you left your grandparents' place yet?” I assumed they went back to the elders' house, and I'm just making sure he won't get in trouble for talking over the phone with me while he was still with his family.

 

“Yeah. Otou-san (*Dad) wanted me to meet his Korean friend and his son. They're here in a business trip for a couple of days. In fact, since you always brag about how good the food is at your favourite restaurant, I took the son out for a dinner.” I looked at CL and mouthed her while doing some pointing actions to inform her what her cousin just told me. She jerked up from her seat and looked back to check if they were indeed here, but we can't really see the entrance from our table.

 

“Oh really? We're here too! Why don't you come and join us at our table? Just tell them you're with Dara or CL.” We hung up after that and I found myself feeling rather nervous. Maybe because of the fact that he brought a Korean friend, and I haven't met any new Koreans lately.

 

I saw Minho walk towards us with someone following closely behind, but I couldn't see the person properly since he was a bit shorter than my boyfriend. I stood up and walked towards him slowly and stopped just behind Chaerin's chair, he gave me a little peck on the cheek and then shifted his body to introduce his friend. I looked at the figure in front of me, but all I saw was my fear, reflecting on the person's black sunglasses.

 

----------------------------------------

(*A/N) First chapter everyone! I hope you enjoyed that >< Sorry I had thrown all my cheezy-ness right in the first chapter. I'll try very hard to lessen the cliché scenarios (I find it so hard T^T) and give you all nice chapters =] I won't be beating around the bush and just make this fanfic as straightforward as I can – no dilly-dallying! Thanks for reading guys =]