Part II

Boys of the Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun’s sudden outburst surprised both Kyungsoo and Chanyeol.  The three  stood and stared at each other for several seconds in silence until Sehun chuckled nervously.

“W-what I mean is that Kyungsoo hyung...ah no..I’m hungry, can we start making food now?”

“Oh-” Kyungsoo didn’t understand why Sehun started talking about him but changed the topic so suddenly.

“Of course! I’m going to mak-, ah how about I let Kyungsoo show off his cooking skills instead?” Chanyeol suggested.

“Of course! Kyungsoo smiled. “I know how to cook! My mom used to say that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach”.

“Great! Then what’s your best dish?”

“Ramen” He said proudly.

Chanyeol and Sehun looked at each other, then at Kyungsoo, and bursted out laughing. However, Kyungsoo only looked at them with his innocent owl-liked eyes, genuinely confused.

“What else do you know how to cook besides noodles?” Chanyeol giggled.

“Dipping sauces!”

“Ai-ya, this hyung seriously need to be named “Naive Guy of the Year”. Saying stuff like “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach”. Sehun shook his head. “Do you think you’ll be able to keep your boyfriend if you give him ramen and dipping sauce all the time? Seriously this hyung..” Sehun shattered all Kyungsoo’s confidence in his “cooking” skill. Sehun shook his head once again and headed towards the kitchen.

“Maybe next time we can enjoy your ramen and dipping sauce. I’ll make you both spaghetti today.” Chanyeol placed a hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“That’s more like it! I like spaghetti!” Sehun hollered from excitement.

“It’s still noodles..why are you comparing them..?” Kyungsoo mumbled to himself and quietly follow Chanyeol to the kitchen. Chanyeol’s light touch lingered on his tensed shoulder.

 

Jongin came home right when dinner was over and was surprised to find Kyungsoo in his house. All the feelings and memories came rushing in because standing before him was the Kyungsoo that bore resemblances to his Kyungsoo. His Kyungsoo, the boy who have once visited him many times in this very house. Memories clouded Jongin’s mind and made it difficult to breathe.

Kyungsoo was busy cutting fruits in the kitchen while Jongin stared at his back profile nostalgically. Jongin started to make his way towards the boy. He doesn’t know what he was doing. Before Jongin realized it, he wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo yelped as his hand slipped and dropped the knife he was holding. The knife accidentally cuts through Kyungsoo’s right foot. In a flash, blood gushed out. Chanyeol and Sehun rushed into the kitchen. Their eyes widened at the sight. Chanyeol understood the situation within seconds and rushed towards Jongin.

Chanyeol punched him. “You’re crazy! He’s not YOUR Kyungsoo. What the hell are you doing?”

Kyungsoo looked down at his bleeding foot. He tried to make out the scene in front of him, but before he could, Kyungsoo fainted.

 

Kyungsoo slowly opended his eyes to find his surrounding covered in white. He realized that he’s in the hospital and shuddered when he recalled yesterday’s incident. Jongin behaved oddly and he recalled vaguely what Chanyeol yelled. His head ached and there seemed to be something more than what they’re letting him know. He started to feel pain on his foot as the medication faded away. Kyungsoo attempted to sit up and reached for water. As if on cue, Chanyeol walked in.

“You’re awake?” Chanyeol asked quietly.

“Yeah” Kyungsoo groaned. “Can you get me a glass of water please? But why are you here?”

“I figured you would be curious as to why you’re here” Chanyeol answered as he poured Kyungsoo a glass of water. “I’m here because you’re here. I just left for about 5 minutes. You scared me to death”

“I didn’t do anything. If anything, Jongin scared me and I’m getting goosebumps just thinking about it” Kyungsoo sighed.

“You don’t need to think about it too much:” Chanyeol handed him the water glass. “Jongin…”

“Was he drunk yesterday?”

“Y-yeah..you can assume that”

They stared at each other and laugedh, but nothing could erase the fact that Kyungsoo’s foot still hurts and that Jongin wasn’t really drunk yesterday. Kyungsoo was sure of that.

The two gre silent as Jongin entered the room. Jongin tried to remain calm as he placed a vase of flowers beside Kyungsoo. He avoided Kyungsoo’s eyes and turned to Chanyeol. “You should go home and rest. I’ll take care of the patient”

“I’m fine. You should go back to the newsroom. I can take care of him” Chanyeol replied.

“It’s my fau-” Jongin stopped himself from reminding the audience in the room about what happened yesterday. “Then you should go get breakfast, buy some for Kyungsoo too. I’ll stay for a bit and  then head back to the newsroom”.

Chanyeol thought about it for a bit before nodding his head.  He smiled at Kyungsoo, reminded him to eat and rest well before grabbing his jacket. Before he headed out the door, Chanyeol warned Jongin, “You better not let something like yesterday happens again” Jongin clenched his fist. “He was really scared”.

The room remained silent after Chanyeol left. A chill in the air was apparent. Kyungsoo broke the silence first.

“ I’m not going to ask you what happened yesterday, but you better not forget that it’s because of you that I’m here. So you’ll have to give me special treatment okay? Remember that boss?” Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes.

“Mhmm” Jongin nodded.

“You also can’t yell at me like before because you’re responsible for my foot”

“Mhmm”

“Raise my stipend”

“Mhmm”

“You...are you okay? You agreed with whatever I said..did you caught the “Mhmm” virus?”

“Mhmm...ah I mean n-no. It’s because...because of me that you’re like this. Jongin sat down beside Kyungsoo’s bed and made sure to keep his distance. With his hands clasped together, Jongin lowered his head and sighed.

“I’m okay. I was just so surprised that I dropped the knife-” Up until then, Kyungsoo felt heat rose on his face when he suddenly remembered the back hug from the night before.

“I’m sorry” Jongin sighed.

“It’s okay. It’s okay. Kyungsoo tilted his head. But I won’t be able to come to the newsroom for awhile, so I need your help to give me files for articles? Yeah?”

“Mhmm, I’ll email them to you”

Kyungsoo smiled when Jongin finally raised his head. Looking at Kyungsoo’s smile, Jongin couldn’t contain his feelings and wanted to just wrapped his arm around the boy in front of him, kiss him, and whisper sweet nothings to his ears.

But this Kyungsoo is not Jongin’s Kyungsoo. The emotions he was feeling is not directed towards the Kyungsoo in front of him, but for the someone who is no longer exist in this world. Tears threatened to fall from his eyes, so Jongin stood up and headed straight for the door without looking back at Kyungsoo.

Jongin stopped with his back to Kyungsoo, “You should wait for Chanyeol to bring food to you. I have to go back to the newsroom”

“What’s wrong with him..” Kyungsoo wondered.

For a man who is calm, don’t assume that it’s in his nature to be quiet and collected. It’s a process of evolving characteristics from an exuberant teenage boy to a calm and mature man. That process probably

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter