catching up

Coffee and Beyond

Jiyong looked at the boys from one to another. He was left out in the topic. The boys just greeted the crowd after singing 4 songs.

"It was pretty isn't it?" Dae sung said.
"You mean she's pretty," VI corrected.

Jiyong was still lost. He mouthed 'what' to Taeyang.

"We went to a coffee shop earlier and we were served with pretty and good latte," Taeyang speaking towards the crowd. "It was one of the best latte I ever had. How about you TOP?"

"Definitely one of the best. And the butterfly? I think it was made for me," TOP smiled broadly.

"no way, that's supposed to be for me" VI insisted.

"but we had all the butterfly in our cup" Dae sung in.

"we want to show you the coffee we were talking about." Taeyang take the command. And in a second the picture he took was flashed in the big screen.

Jiyong's eyes went wild. "ya,"

"you didn't tell me she's pretty.  She's sitting in the second level." Taeyang whispered.

Jiyong's energy suddenly rose. "The four betrayed me and went out for a coffee by themselves and to credit the person who made their coffee. Here' for you." Jiyong blew a kiss. "I thought they went drinking with out me," He left the stage and ran to the backstage and talk to the staff to get cafe and butterfly ready for performance. He came back in hype. " for the mean time this is for you our VIPs"

The instrumental came in and they sang Haru haru.

It was followed by cafe. When Jiyong started singing the butterfly, his eyes scanned the crowded second level. Though he can't find  Hye Mi on the crowd, he was  all smile and full of energy. "my butterfly" he blew a kiss towards the crowd and bowed. "I love you VIP!" but he meant that to only one person.

"happy?" TOP teased. They all sat down at the dressing room.

"kuuu!!!look at that smile," Seungri added.

"buttercup," he called Hye Mi.

"kyaaaa!buttercup!" the four boys squealed.

"butterfly! I love you!" Taeyang yelled.

"shhh" Jiyong was grinning.

"butterfly, hyung's blushing" VI yelled out again.

"buttercup, can you come at the backstage?"

"I told you to stop calling me buttercup. I'm already outside the dome. I don't want to get caught with the crowds. Great performance. Give the boys my regards. They're fun. Give Seung ri a hug for me. Such a sweet boy"

"can I pick you up later? We're going to celebrate,"

"I'm going back to Korea tomorrow. I don't want to get tired."

"I'll call you later." Jiyong hang up. "Ya, how did this happen?" he glared at Tae yang.

"Uhm, we just want you happy," TOP put an arm around Jiyong. "She's extraordinaire. You better take care of her or else..."

"we'll talk later about this. Thank you so much! I owe you this!" Jiyong hugged the 4 boys.

"Don't make us do this for the second time coz we won't be doing it," Taeyang warned.

"Nah, I won't let my butterfly fly again. Thanks. Don't wait up for me,"

"We're not planning to," TOP laughed.

 

"Atty. Lee Hye Mi," her uncle was on the door.

"sir," she still calls her uncle sir .

"You're finally dating. Dad would be grilling you once he finds out,"

"What do you... uncle, we're in.."

"Tada! the building guard came in with huge basket of flowers. Don't try to deny. I won't tell dad until you introduce him to me. I'll have to check him out first,"

Hye Mi rolled her eyes. She picked the card and opened it. 'Have a great day, my butterfly,'.  "Sir, I have a case to review. If you don't mind leaving," she dismissed her uncle.

"I'm giving you a week to introduce him to me or it will reach the old man. You know what will happen,"

"Your blackmailing won't work for me Atty. I know you well. Excuse me, I got a call." she answered her phone. "Saturday? I'm not really sure. I'll check with my manager and will get back to you. Hey, the flowers are pretty. Thanks." she didn't wait for Jiyong to answer and hang up.

"One week, Miss Lee," her uncle closed the door.

"Jen, can you close up early on saturday?" she called her manager. "I have a party coming around 8. You don't have to worry, I'll take care of everything. Just make sure everything is cleaned up at 7."

Hye Mi just stepped out of her office when Jiyong called her. "I'll be at your building in 3 minutes"

"what? Ya, I.."

"see you in 2 minutes." Jiyong hang up.

Hye Mi struggled with her coat as she ran out of the lobby. "damn Jiyong" she won't let her uncle caught her dating. Not yet. She's out of breath when she reach the front door. True to his word, she saw his car at the curb. She walk briskly towards the car and got in. "stop surprising me. You're giving me heart attack."

"I'm just picking up my girlfriend" he started the car.

Hye Mi turned to him. "what did you just say? Kwon Jiyong, since when did I became your girlfriend?"

Jiyong looked at her. He didn't expect that from her. "we've been seeing each other for a while. I thought..."

"we're just catching up. There's the difference" she corrected. "and don't forget what you did on my birthday"

Jiyong hit the brakes and pulled on the side.  "your birthday? When was ... What did I do?"

"forget it. It's in the pass."

"Lee Hye Mi. When was your birthday?" he looked at her seriously. "I didn't know about it."

"I said forget it,"

Jiyong started the car and drove to the coffee shop.

"what are you doing? there are lots of costumer inside."

"it's either you tell me when was that or we will go in there," Jiyong threatened.

Hye Mi had no choice. "October 7. I called you and left message but you never called back. I waited here the whole night but you didn't show up,"

"Ah !" he pulled his hair.

"And I saw in the morning your post in your social network. I realized and accepted I was just a fan fantasizing,"

"Lee Hye Mi, I... I.." Jiyong don't know what to say. He blew one important day. "I'm sorry. I didn't.."

He was interrupted by Hye Mi's phone ringing. "Grandma? Yeah, it's ok. What's up?"

"Your grandpa wants to talk to you but let me talk to my baby first."

"have you been watching your drama again?" Hye Mi joked. Her grandmother rarely calls her.

"Hye Mi, your grandfather will be talking about getting you in a blind date. If you don't like just say it ok. You don't have to obey everything your grandpa says,"

"Grandma, I.."

"here's gramps,"

Hye Mi and her grandfather talked about work for a while and then he mentioned a blind date.  They ended the conversation about calling him back after work. "Jiyong, thanks for the ride." she opened the door and walked out.

Jiyong scrambled with his seatbelt and got out. He ran after Hye Mi who was walking fast towards the back door.

"I'm not in the mood to talk today. We might as well call it a night," she opened her office but Jiyong followed her inside. She picked up the phone and called her sister. "Did you know about the blind date thing?"

"Blind date? So the old man really meant it. When did he tell you?"

"Just a while ago. Do you know about the guy?"

"I have no idea. You scared the old man when you had the accident in Japan. I guess that's why he was adamant to marry you off  to have someone take care of you," her sister said.

"unni, accidents happens. it has nothing to do with... unni," her voice gave away the pain in his heart.

"Hye Mi, where are you?"

"Coffee shop. I think I'll spend the night here,"

"Do you want me to pick you up? You can sleep over at home. Krissy misses you,"

"I'm fine. I need to think. I'll call you tomorrow," her hand dropped the handphone."Oh sorry, I forgot you're here," she just realized Jiyong's presence.
"What's going on? Are you okay?" He sounds worried.
"My grandfather's acting like my dad again." she plopped in the couch.
"What's up? Is he trying you to marry you off?" he tried to pull a joke. "Grandparents tends to want to see their grandkids before they die,"
"Oh. Like how he manipulated my life and he knew well I have no way out," she sighed.
"Seriously?" Jiyong grabbed Hye' Mi's arms.
"You asked why I ended up lawyer when I always wanted to become an artist, gramps asked me to study law in return for this coffee shop.  He asked me what do I want for graduation gift when I finished highschool and I randomly told him to buy this coffee shop. The negotiation started there. He bought this when I was admitted in law school. He gave me the title when I passed the bar. Now he's making my accident in japan as a leverage to push me get married,"
"Then let's get married," Jiyong said seriously.
"Are you nuts?" She made a full turn and glared at him.
"What's wrong? I have love you for these years."
"Shut up!" Her tone rose. "You have all the girls falling for you. From Chinese to japanese, Korean, Americans linked to you. How can a lowly Korean can compete with them. Besides your fans owns you," she wasn't in the mood to talk about love at the moment.
"Lee Hye Mi, I am  celebrity. I got that. I know I've been rumored to have a lot of women but there's only you." Jiyong was standing infront of her. "You don't love me do you?" he looked at her in the eye.

She returned the looked. They were looking to each other's eye.
"Hye Mi, don't you trust me?" he lifted her head.
"It's not a question of trust. You know it well that it won't work. I know everything about you, why do you think I didn't introduced myself?"
"Hye Mi, Do you really love me?" his eyes were misty.

Hye mi made a fake laugh. "Now you're questioning my love for you. Isn't it enough that I gave up my dream just to have this small ran down coffee shop? she broke down and started crying.

"Hye Mi, I.. I'm sorry. It's just that I can't,"
"My love  for you is in vain. Loving you alone is painful. Just leave me loving you from afar."

"Lee Hye Mi, tell me how can I prove my love for you," he knelt infront of her and gathered her hands. "Can you at least give us a chance?"

"Can you just leave. This conversation is not going anywhere. I want to clear my head before I meet with my gramps," she held her head.
"Oh, mom," she answered the phone. "I'll be staying here for a while. I'll come home later. Don't wait up for me. Night mom,"

"Hye Mi," Jiyong gathered her in his arms and started sobbing.

Hye Mi just bawled and clung to Jiyong.