Attorney Lee Hye Mi

Coffee and Beyond

It's one of the days and time had been playing with her. She just came back from an out of town hearing and a notice was waiting at her doorstep. It was stated that she hasn't paid her electric bill and she has 24 hours to settle the bill. She spent the whole night cursing while trying to get connected with the company and negotiate.
To make it worse, her alarm clock didn't go off and she had to go to work without a proper breakfast. She was coming out of the bakery when a screeching sound broke in the air. She turned around and saw a kid in the middle of the street. She ran towards the kid trying to get her in time. The truck was just inch of them when she reached the kid.  She had no choice but to accompany the kid to the hospital and get treated.  Add it up that she had to wait for the guardian to come and pick her  up. She ended up missing an important meeting with a client.
She kicked the taxi door with her right foot. It was a good thing she wasn't wearing her heels that day or else she would be in big trouble. Her left hand was on the phone and her right hand struggled with her purse and laptop bag. "is the boss mad? God! This is the most horrible day in my entire life as a lawyer so far. Did the client left?" She almost hit her head on the revolving door. "Call you later. Just got in the building."
She once missed a client and her boss yelled at her infront of her colleague and she doesn't want it to happen again. But time had been playing with her.

~~~~~

"G..Gdra..Gdragon? What.. Why.. ahm...  what are you doing here?" she stammered. She just came back from a hearing and was advised that a foreign client was waiting for her.
He just looked at her sternly.
"Sorry. I was just surprised to see you. I was told I'm meeting a Chinese business man."

"You're.... Coffee and beyond?" he wanted to be sure. "What are you?"

"Attorney Lee Hye Mi,"  she cut him off and motioned him to the chair. "have a seat. What brought you to my office?"

"Oh.. I came looking for the lawyer who handled my case in Japan,"

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Hye Mi tried to maintain a business like atmosphere.

"you're... You're the one who..."

"Your high caliber lawyer ," she continued with out further expression.

Jiyong laughed.  "Seriously, I didn't expect this. The owner of the coffee shop. What does she do? And that painting on your wall.... it's very familiar."

"That would be a breach between me and my client," She avoided the topic. "let's get straight to the business. I do work for YG on special cases but not personally. If you came here regarding the coffee shop I can't help you with that. You can find another lawyer for help but I am assuring you that there's no way that coffee shop will go to you. Not a single chance,"

"Are you trying to pick a fight with me?" Jiyong 's mood changed.

"No. It's my job and I could lose my license once I breach a contract."

"OK, can you at least arrange a meeting? I want to ask him something," his voice toned down.

Hye Mi sighed. "I know that you're not used to being turned  down but this time, I'm really sorry. Much that I want to help you. My client comes first."

"Thank you, Atty," Jiyong had no choice but to leave.
As soon as he closed the door, she slumped to her chair and held her head. "Oh my God! Meeting the famous Kwon Jiyong! This is a trophy!" she fanned herself. "Oh !" she grabbed her bag and ran out of the office. "Park Shin Woo, can you sent me the schedules tomorrow before you knock off work," she said and ran out.

 

She was burned out from the hearing. It wasn't a joke to take the case. She was the youngest and it's normal she had to take all the cases her seniors didn't want to handle. It was a drug bust involving a politician's son. Since the case of Kwon Jiyong in Japan, her seniors dumped all the drug related cases to her. It suddenly became her expertise. Accordingly the defendant was framed. He reviewed the defendant's record. It's clean and he's a top student in his university. It's time for election that's why the son was being dragged into illegal activities. She met the defendant and believed him according to his testimonies. There's just one thing he never told his parent or anyone about his whereabouts during the alleged date that the opposition saw saying he where was. She had to clarify and get testimony.

 

~~~~~

The coffee wasn't that good but it's a nice hide out. Most of the costumers are adults and looks like busy people. How they always bet who's going to buy coffee. He smiled remembering his memories of the place. He always ends up buying coffee for always getting late. His unforgettable memory was when butterfly just jump to him and hugged him tight when he told her that he's near to realizing his dream. Without even warning she kissed him. That's when he told her he'll buy the coffee shop when he earns enough.

But that was the last time he saw her. She left a note saying she got accepted in a university. He went back few times but never saw her. When they debut, he went to the coffee shop but no sign of her. Not even a note. She just vanished.

His curiosity and suspicion brought him back to the  coffee shop.

He walked straight to the counter. The moment he walked in he was deafen by sudden shrieking. 'I guess it's wrong to just walked in' he thought as he walked in straight to the counter."Is your manager in?"

The girl at the front counter covered refraining from screaming.

The costumers started to gather around the counter asking for autograph. He responded and signed few but when a crowd started to gather at the front the manager stepped in.

"follow me," a lady appeared and led him to an office. "how may I help you?" she's trying to be professional and suppressed her excitement.

"I heard that Atty. Lee Hye Mi works here. The law firm won't budge to give her contact number. Can you get me her contact number?"

The lady sighed. "Atty Lee don't like her number given out without her permission. And she's out of reach since yesterday. You can try her house if it's that important." the lady said. "I'll be back in a while. I have to take care of the mob you created outside."

Jiyong sat at the couch and wandered his eyes around the room. "neat." he suddenly got up when his eyes fell on the rack near the book shelf. He pulled 1 cd and then another. He pulled the thick gold covered. He returned the way it is and slumped on the couch. "butterfly. Let me be right" he prayed.

The lady came back. "I can't reach Miss Lee. Heads up, she'll be pissed off if he learns you made a commotion in the shop." her eyes fell on the cd racks.  " the fact that the owner's crazy over you that doesn't make any change of the commotion you made today."

"that I apologized. I should have  come in a less busy time." he apologized.

"here's the address. Be sure to be polite. Her family are conservative."

"thank you and I apologize for the ruckus" he left and drove to the address the manager gave. He buzzed.

The woman who opened the door blinked. "Yes?"

"Oh, is this where Atty Lee Hye Mi lives?" he asked politely.

The woman looked at him closely. "Aren't you...Gdragon?"
"Nice to meet you," He bowed.

The woman smiled. "come on in," she opened the door widely.

"my daughter is out of town for work. I have no idea when she's coming back. My daughter have this habit of staying out of the house without telling me. Have you met my daughter?  She's your huge fan. You can see it at the library. Feel free to see around while I make tea," Mrs. Lee shooed him to the living room