Six

Let's Say

06.

 

After helping ajumeoni clear the table, Jinae reported to her father’s study. Her father’s study always reeked of cigars. Keeping to tradition, Jinae frowned and voiced her discontent about her father’s smoking habits.

 

“Jinae, take a seat. I have something to discuss with you.” Registering the sternness in his tone, Jinae silenced herself.

 

“What is it appa? Did Lee songsaengnim say something?” Jinae thought back to her bee-obsessed manager. He didn’t report her tardiness did he?

 

“No? Should he have said something?” her father cocked an eyebrow.

 

Jinae heaved a sigh of relief and laughed nervously. “Ani, appa! I just thought he might have reported how well I was doing that’s all!”

 

“Why would he do that? I thought you gave us clear instructions not to let your coworkers know of our relationship.”

 

“Ye, appa…”

 

“Jinae, the reason I asked to speak to you today is because an old friend has approached me with a proposition I find highly beneficial for both the company and for our family. Will you assist me to see this plan through?” 

 

Thinking he was referring to office work, Jinae eagerly agreed. “Of course, appa. I’ll do everything I can.”

 

“That’s what I wanted to hear. I would like to set you up Jinae, with a boy from the Kim family, the ones who run Kim Metal Management.”

 

Jinae was flabbergasted. She thought her father might be playing the first practical prank of his life, but when she didn’t see his stoic expression change she nervously asked, “Like a blind date appa?”

 

“More of a pre-engagement meeting. We’ve decided that joining our families in matrimony is a wise decision. Their son is a hardworking and proper young man, I’m sure you’ll be very fond of him.”

 

Jinae couldn’t believe her ears. It shook her up completely to hear of her father’s business proposition for her life, but it didn’t surprise her in the very least. It was just like her father to put business first and force his decisions upon them. “Appa, you’re joking right? Why are you marrying me off for the sake of a business deal?! Surely there are more ways to make money! I’m still working as an intern; I don’t even have a stable job yet. I’m not ready for marriage!”

 

Her father’s brows furrowed, unimpressed by her tone and incompliant outburst. “Hwang Jinae. Your mother already had Jinwoo at your age. Stop being a child. You would have had a stable job by now if you’d listen to me after high school and started law school immediately instead of wasting a year and a half exploring yourself with that nonsense they call art. Your mother and I have known the family for a long time. You will not be mistreated there. The agreement has been made. Our families are to be wed, that decision is final.”

 

Jinae rose from her seat furiously and stormed for the door. “Appa, I refuse! I am not marrying some stranger!”

 

“Hwang Jinae!” Her father’s roar halted her just as she reached the door. “I promised them a daughter and a daughter is what I will give them. If you don’t cooperate, I’ll still have Jinsoo.”

 

Jinae spung around with so much force she felt the draft whip at her cheeks. “Appa! Are you insane? She’s only 16!”

 

“And I am her legal guardian. A 7PM meeting for Wednesday night has been arranged at Restaurant Hoon. I felt it best we get the formalities out of the way before the ball. If you do not show up, I will introduce Jinsoo to the Kim’s.” Jinae was rendered speechless. Her body shook in anger. She didn’t know what she could say to not irritate her father and escalate the situation. She didn’t know what she could do to make him change his mind. Hwang Jinsung never changed his mind. She felt her eyes heat up, a sure indication that she would be a bawling mess within minutes. Turning and exiting the room promptly so that her father wouldn’t see her at her weakest, Jinae hastened for the front door forgetting she had promised to hear out Jinsoo's boy problems. 

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

Oh Sehun rolled to his side, unable to find a comfortable position for sleep. He could hear Chanyeol’s snores reverberating off the walls in opposite room. That guy is never going to get a normal girl. Sehun scoffed quietly at the irony of his mockery. It wasn’t like he was very successful in that territory either. He was a 29 year old working man living with another 29 year old working man. There weren’t many prospects from here.

 

That was a lie. Sehun was in fact very popular with the female gender. He was built where he needed to be and his presence radiated masculinity. He was constantly a conquest for his female coworkers and was oh too familiar with their failed attempts to be flirtatiously cute. For their sake, he’d often pretend he never got the hint.

 

Sehun had no interest in a relationship or in dealing with women. It wasn’t because he was still waiting for her. He knew she wouldn’t be coming back, and even if she did, it would be stupid of him to forgive her. It’s just, every girl Sehun would meet would be subconsciously compared to how she used to be.

 

Minyoung didn’t like berries, she preferred mango.

 

Minyoung walked more briskly than this.

 

Minyoung never talked with full.

 

Minyoung hated pie.

 

That’s not how Minyoung used to look at me.

 

Thoughts of her hung to him like a plague. If he had to be honest to himself, despite the ugly falling out they had had and all the wrongs she had done, thoughts of Minyoung were still the only things that could lull him to sleep at night.