Ten

Let's Say

Hi new subbie <3

 

10.

 

 

It was a bright day outside. Kyungsoo leaned his back onto the bench and drummed his fingers on the wood of his guitar. It wasn’t private knowledge that Do Kyungsoo was having a severe dry spell. It had been almost 2 years since he dropped his last album. Thankfully he had his participation in game and talk shows to use as a scapegoat.

 

The lack of his guitar strums left the shrubs around him to resonate unperturbed. Kyungsoo knew that he was stubborn, and that his stubbornness might ultimately cause management to drop him from their record label. But he couldn’t find it in himself to gargle mindless pop tunes then try to promote it. It wasn’t what music meant to him. No, Kyungsoo was adamant to only promote the songs that held meaning to him. It was a representation of him after all. And his pride wouldn’t let him seep to that level.

 

He was taking another long sip of his bubble tea when he noticed a familiar figure hobbling along the distant footpath. Wasn’t that the obnoxious girl from the corridor?

 

Areum grunted as she tried to balance the two geranium baskets by her hips. She regretted offering to run the errand for Jakyung, and regretted even more the fact that she opted to walk the three blocks instead of taking the rusty business van.

 

“Are you alright there Miss?  You’re leaving a trail of dirt behind you, I think your plant is too tilted.” Areum couldn’t help but gawk at the sweaty jogger by her side. His skin seemed to glisten under the sunlight and his teeth shone brightly when he grinned. “Miss?” Aruem coughed awkwardly and bowed curtly out of gratitude before jiggling the plant by her side, trying to nestle it better on sore hips.

 

“Where are you heading to? I can help you carry these to your destination if you like?”

 

Areum smiled widely and cocked her head to the side. “Oh, I couldn’t possibly ask you to do that.”

 

“It’d be my pleasure. I can’t let a pretty girl like you struggle down the street with those two heavy pot plants,” he winked.

 

“Oh my, if you would be ever so kind,” she gushed and let a rosy blush creep its way onto her cheeks.

 

What a flirt! Kyungsoo clicked his tongue as he watched the exchange happening across the road. I really hope Sehun isn’t interested in such a girl, he thought as he watched Areum girlishly slap the undoubtedly stinky joggers arm. Kyungsoo scoffed.

 

 “Thank you farmer girl,”Kyungsoo mumbled. “You just inspired my new single: Stupid girls and flirty, stupid, no-good Casanovas.”

 

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

She was beginning to notice the soft scent of pine percolating through the air vents of her car, filling the car’s small interior. How pompous, she thought, growing a forest of pine to encase a parking lot. Jinae continued to stare out her windscreen. She had been here long before the sunset but had wanted to savour the last few minutes of peace before stepping foot into the grandeur restaurant. Thankfully, she had been left mostly undisturbed, as the only person to frequent the car park was the chubby valet. She had seen him park her family’s Bentley a quarter of an hour ago, but she couldn’t find the will to remove herself from the safe haven of her modest Hyundai.

 

It had been two days since she had taken leave from work and the extra hours of sleep had done well to spare her from looking as rotten as she felt. She had tried to sulk to her mother the first night, but her materialistic omma couldn’t be happier knowing that she would soon be in-laws with a multimillion dollar CEO. Jinae received no sympathy. Jinsoo had been more understanding, infuriated even. She listened to all the complaints Jinae had and had contributed with an equal amount of displeasure to the conversation. Jinae was careful to refrain from mentioning their father’s ultimatum. Jinsoo didn’t need to be more distraught; to feel guilty.

 

Jinwoo just unremittingly swore his head off. He had already notified her that his attendance should not be sought for at dinner and that he and Taebin were just one phone call away. Jinae knew her brother’s treats weren’t empty. Jinwoo had been a notorious bad boy in his schooldays with a hearty juvenile record to back it up.

 

The second day was spent eating ice cream out of the tub, watching sitcom reruns and plotting how to displease the Kim’s with Areum. Her confident suggestions did somewhat lift Jinae’s spirits, even if Areum’s only resources were chick flicks and fictional novels. It couldn’t be that hard to be unlikeable right?

 

Jinae’s mobile vibrated rhythmically against her cup holder. Don Omma bounced across the screen.

 

She sighed. This was it. She pulled out the spritzer from her handbag and with a shaking hand, dispensed the fine mist of pepper straight onto her face. In a coughing fit, she stumbled out of her car.

 

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

“Jongin honey, tell me,” Jinae’s mother giggled feverishly. “How do you plan to take care of my prized lawyer daughter?”

 

Jongin smiled politely, “To the best of my ability, Madam Hwang.” He was dreading his future mother-in-law already. He was sure that she was the typical overly indulged chaebol housewife. He suddenly wished he had accepted President Hwang’s offer to join him and his dad at the restaurant bar and leave the women to their discussion.

 

She cooed and laughed. “Oh goodness, just call me omma!” Jongin nodded respectfully. He was trying so hard to please the Hwang’s even he wanted to roll his eyes at himself. “I do apologise for my daughter’s late arrival Sunyoung-ah,” she addressed his mother who shook her head kindly in response. “She’s a very professional girl you see. She works at the company but no one knows she’s our daughter so the managers have no mercy when it comes to workload and overtime.” She pouted for effect.

 

“What admirable work morals. Your elder daughter is quite the bachelorette. I feel very honoured to be welcoming such a gem into our family.” His mother spoke with her usual warm tone. Jongin was glad that Jinae’s mother took a liking to his; he could only imagine the snide remarks and snobby body language if she didn’t.

 

“Why, not only that- Oh! There’s our Princess now. Over here honey!”

 

It didn’t take long for Jinae to notice her mother’s slightly raised hand trying to delicately wave her over. She wiped the last stray tear that was trying to escape and made her way over the seat besides Jinsoo, directly across from Kim Jongin.

 

“Princess, what happened to your face?!” Her mother gaped in genuine horror. Since when did you call me Princess?! Jinae hadn’t had the chance to check her reflection in a mirror, but if her mother’s exclamation, Jinsoo stifled snort and Jongin’s cocked eyebrow were any indication, she must have looked like a baboon’s with a rash.

 

She shrugged nonchalantly. “No clue, omma. Allergies maybe.”

 

Jongin had to give the girl credit for her efforts. Whatever she had done to herself looked like it stung and occasionally, he would notice her twitch her nose from side to side in discomfort. A quick look of feigned surprise crossed her face.

 

“Where are my manners!” Jinae rose to her feet and bowed deeply at his mother, addressing her informally without seeking consent, “Good evening omma!” Her arm brushed against a champagne glass and sent it toppling over, its contents sliding off the table and narrowly missing her mother’s designer dress. She could feel her mother suppress a death glare.

 

“Darling,” her mother stretched a hiss. “Be careful. Goodness, we can’t have you meeting your in-laws like this. Let’s get you to a clinic, this isn’t presentable at all.” Her mother’s awkwardness gave away her discernible embarrassment.  

 

“Oh omma, there’s no need! I feel absolutely fine,” Jinae sniffed happily to her mother’s surprise. “How could I give up this opportunity to meet Jongin-ie here and his lovely mother?” She gave them both a sleazy wink. She rested her chin upon her fingers and batted her eyelids, “Jongin-ie, my condition doesn’t deter you does it?”

 

Jongin gave her an emotionless smile. “Of course not Jinae-sshi. I hope you’re not in too much discomfort. I would feel incredibly saddened if you were.” Jinae swallowed her scoff. He could fool her gushing mother, but she could see right through his little façade. If she had any inkling at his office that he was the scheming kind, she was sure of it now.

 

“Oh Jongin-sshi you're so sweet,” she grinned drearily. “And you, omma. You’re absolutely dazzling! You’re the most beautiful lady in her 60’s I’ve ever seen. Wait, I can call you omma, can’t I?” Jinae covered my lips and giggled like a schoolgirl.

 

Kim Sunyoung quickly assured her it was fine but her uneasiness was clear. Sunyoung was only 52 years of age and Jinae’s backhanded compliment had made her self-conscious. Jinae could see her father and Jongin’s returning to the table. She bettered her posture. Her father was not to suspect her sabotage if she wanted to keep Jinsoo’s skin unscathed. She toned down her giddiness but laced her responses with overly ditzy outbursts and ate in the most politely ill-mannered way possible, even her fingers quietly and rolling her eyes back in pleasure as she dug through the lobster.  

 

“Enjoying your meal there, Jinae?” She could hear the disapproval in her father’s voice but acted unaware. She nodded enthusiastically.

 

“I’ve never realised this place served such delicious dishes. Here I am eating intestines and fetal duck eggs everyday when I could have been eating this.” She raised her lobster claw into the air, sending specs of meat flying.

 

Quickly sending her a look of warning, he turned to Youngchul. “My daughters are always very conscious of the value of money.” Youngchul smiled and nodded in approval.

 

“Ye, appa! That’s what I always say. Why spend money on something that just disappears into your mouth when you can buy an entire Louis Vuitton range instead!” Jinae held up Areum’s prized hangbag proudly. “I’m going to be the most stylish housewife, don’t you worry Jongin-ah,” she winked.

 

“Come Jinae-sshi, let me get you at drink at the bar. The view is spectacular,” Jongin invited through gritted teeth.

 

“Wonderful idea! Jinae, quickly go,” her mother who, at this point already thoroughly embarrassed by her daughter’s lack of table manners, was eager to get Jinae away from the future in-laws.

 

Jinae rose and knocked her handbag to the floor. She crossed her arms and looked at Jongin expectantly. “Well? Aren’t you going to pick it up for me? Unless you expect a lady to bend over in public,” she clicked her tongue at him. Jongin gave her a thin, forced smile, did as instructed then placed his palm on the small of her back, physically pushing her to the bar.

 

She ordered two expensive glasses of red wine as soon as they arrived, not bothering to ask for his preference. “What are you doing?” The hostility in his voice took her by surprise. “I would have never guessed you to be this kind of person when you walked into my office. You’re out of your mind if you think you can continue behaving like a stupid, spoilt brat once we’re married. I can learn to tolerate your bull but my parents are accommodating and decent people, and over my dead body will you so much as disrespect them with your eyes. You will take on the role of an obedient daughter-in-law and you will do it well do we have an understanding?” Every inch of her itched to cower under his venomous tone and dominating glare.

 

Jinae consciously tried to keep her breathing steady and chin held high. “Or what?”

 

She thought she saw him give her the slightest smirk. “Or I tell your Daddy over there that his daughter won’t behave. Doesn’t seem like he’s the ‘shower you with love’ type. Am I right?”  He was. Her father wouldn’t relent to news like that. Jongin eaned in closer and whispered mockingly, “I hate to break it to you Princess, but you won’t be considered royalty at the Kim household. Not even close.”

 

Jinae felt suffocated, physically and mentally. Unable to counter his jeering with something witty, she opted for the cliché way out. “Why are you saying those mean things, what did I ever do to you?!” Her outburst caught the attention of every guest in the dimly lit dining room. Before he could react, she flung her wine onto his dress shirt, sniffed pitifully and scampered out of the restaurant with her face in her palms.