Twelve (Please read A/N)

Let's Say

A/N: I know, what have I done??? HAHAHA I hope you guys aren't too confused! To break it down:
Kihong - Jongin
Kwangjo - Baekhyun
Sungil - Sehun
Jaehyun - Kyungsoo
Donggun - Chanyeol

Thank you for reading <3

 

 

12.

 

“You did an amazing job Sehun,” Junmyeon raised his glass.

 

Sehun nodded proudly and clinked his glass against that of his two friends’. The event was carrying a greatly sophisticated, yet warm, ambience and the menu impressed the guests equally as much as the décor did. Chanyeol had run off earlier to locate a suitable target leaving Sehun with Jongin and Junmyeon. It had been a long while since the four friends, including Kyungsoo, had been in the same room. Sehun knew this was inevitable considering their different busy lifestyles but he was confident that their friendship would be an eternal one. They were practically his brothers.

 

“If I may have your attention, please.” Hwang Jinsung stood confidently at the podium. Sehun had always regarded his boss’ assertiveness with caution. He had much respect for the man, but instinct kept him wary. To him, underneath the sociable demeanour was a man capable of being ruthless. “I would like to thank each and every one of you for attending our ‘Garden of Eden’ charity ball tonight and for your important contributions to the Eden orphanage.” A round of applause echoed through the room. “I would like to use this opportunity to announce some very happy news. My eldest daughter is engaged!”

 

Jinae felt her heart drop. A public announcement just made her turmoil feel so much more real. She sensed Areum’s hand on hers and stared panicked at her friend’s sympathetic expression. Remembering back to her father’s warning, she wanted to scream in despair. Her father, outraged by her act at dinner, had struck her across the cheek promising to marry Jinsoo off to Jongin and then her to Manager Yoo, a 50 year old man, if she continued to behave in any way he didn’t see fit. Her attempt to displease the Kim’s had obviously failed. The courteous phone call she was expecting from them that would announce a cancellation to the engagement never came. Why are they so obdurate on marrying me?

 

“Hwang Enterprise and Kim Metal Management will become one family. Youngchul-ah where are you?” Jongin’s father smiled and raised his glass in the direction of the stage. “To family!” Jinsung hollered happily as the two men drank their glasses dry and the room exploded with applause.

 

“I’m sorry man,” Sehun patted Jongin’s back, hoping his exhausted looking friend was still able to cope. They knew how much Eunjung meant to Jongin. Sehun felt his phone vibrate.

 

“What is it Chanyeol?”

 

“OH SEHUN, HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO SWOOP IN AT MY SIGNAL IF YOU’RE NEVER LOOKING AT ME? I JUST LOST THE POTENTIAL LOVE OF MY LIFE BECAUSE OF YOU!”

 

“Park Chanyeol, would you please calm your down. Where are you?”

 

Chanyeol sniffed. “In the toilet reflecting on my loss.”

 

“Just stay there, you pathetic loser, I’ll be there soon.” He put his phone back in the inner pocket of his blazer and looked apologetically at his friends.

 

“Go, the poor guy sounds like he needs you,” Junmyeon’s assuring smile was enough to convince him that Jongin would be in good hands. He turned to leave, not failing to notice the giggles and sighs from the nearby females. Three wealthy bachelors huddled together drinking wine must have been a lovely sight to them.

 

Well, two bachelors and one very upset attached man.

 

Once Sehun was on his way, Jongin turned to Junmyeon, “Go enjoy the party. I’ll be completely fine. I just want to get some fresh air and clear my head.” Before Junmyeon could protest, he swiftly made his way towards the hall exit.

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Areum felt a tap on her shoulder. “May I have this dance?” the fifth gentleman of the night asked her. She was thinking that is dress was now a curse, considering all she wanted to do right now was be there for Jinae.

 

Jinae however, pushed Areum into the man’s arms and told him, “Of course.” Areum was pulled away leaving Jinae with a feeling of relief. At least now she could continue stabbing at the finger food without trying to reassure her friend that she was okay. She imaged her father’s face in every piece of coconut chicken she plunged her small fork into and chewed on with fury. Occasionally, she would imagine Jongin’s face too.

 

“Wow, I’d hate to be a chicken right now,” the chuckle brought her out of her trance. She turned to see an undeniably handsome man. His warm smile didn’t fail to make her heart palpitate a little faster. It wasn’t his strong jawline or his soft lips that held her attention, but rather the warmth that somehow managed to exude from his light brown orbs. They were the lightest eyes Jinae had ever seen; yet they looked anything but washed-out.

 

When she didn’t respond, the stranger continued, “Did someone upset you? Should we go bash them up together?” He grinned at her in a way so genuine, his flirtatious line sounded more like a sincere suggestion.

 

Jinae felt a small smile grace her lips. “I don’t think it would be wise to bash this person up. But thank you for the offer.”

 

“That’s a pity. If you do change your mind, my offer still stands. Out of curiosity, what would your response be if I offered to whisk you away to the dance floor?” His grin was cheekier now. Jinae turned to the stage area and realised the famous Do Kyungsoo was singing a ballad rendition of the love songs from his last album live on stage. Jinae didn’t fail to notice the intimate vibe from the many couples on the dance floor. She turned back to the man to decline.

 

“Just one song,” he promised. “I swear I won’t tread on your toes.” Jinae laughed softly. She personally found him incredibly charming.

 

“Just one song?” He took her question as the affirmation he needed and took her hand in his.

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

“That girl.” Sehun looked in the direction of Chanyeol’s finger.

 

“Yah Chanyeol, seriously? They’re the florists I was telling you about.”

 

“No way! Wait, that means you already know them. This should be a piece of cake for you!” Sehun looked at the two girls immersed in their own conversation by the sweets bar.

 

“What if they came with male dates?”

 

“Well, there are no males standing there. And beside the girl in the long, blue dress is so cool. I saw her bounce a can off her foot into a bin 5 meters away from her before we came in.”

 

Sehun cocked an eyebrow. “That’s cool to you?”

 

“Of course,” came Chanyeol’s unfazed reply. He dragged Sehun towards the girls.

 

“Omo, Sehun-sshi what a pleasure to see you tonight,” Areum beamed widely at the two men but showed obvious disinterest in Chanyeol – not that he minded.

 

“Hi! I’m Chanyeol, it’s lovely to meet you. You’re incredibly dashing. What’s your name?” Chanyeol presented his hand expectantly in front of Jakyung, anticipating that she shook it in return. Smooth, Chanyeol. Real smooth. Sehun wanted to face-palm himself. This was so embarrassing. He’d rather take his mother to tennis every week than stand here next to Chanyeol.

 

Jakyung furrowed her eyebrows at the weird man’s forward introduction. “This is my roommate Chanyeol. He’s usually a busy guy, being a successful doctor and all, but I managed to get him out and about tonight. He’s a fantastic communicator so I thought I’d bring him over here and make sure you ladies were enjoying the party. You both did an amazing job with the room, by the way.” Sehun paused briefly, feeling awkward. But Areum’s giggles suggested that maybe his speech wasn’t so tragic. “Also, he’s single.”

 

Both girls frown at him confused. Sehun wanted the ground to swallow him whole. Why did Chanyeol have to pick these girls out of the abundance of ladies in this room? His roommate rocked excitedly next to him, obviously unaware of how truly awkward everyone else was feeling. I’m going to kill you. I’m going to dip your toothbrush in the toilet. I’m going to put thumbtacks in your bed. I’m going to shave off your eyebrows in your sleep.

 

Jakyung put down her candy skewer and quickly excused herself from the group before retreating towards her seat.

 

“You still haven’t told me your name.”

 

“OH MY G-“ Jakyung clutched onto her chest and looked incredulously at Chanyeol. He, on the other hand, grinned hopefully at her. “I'm sorry… I don’t feel like making any new friends tonight,” she spoke with hesitance once she calmed down from the fright.

 

“Oh.” His disappointment was obvious. Jakyung avoided his gaze. “Well… me neither, if you know what I mean.” He bounced his eyebrows suggestively at her.

 

Jakyung’s face contorted in horror.

 

“Wait, wait I was joking,” he scratched his head nervously. “To be honest, I thought you looked like an awesome person so I asked Sehun to introduce us,” Chanyeol mumbled softly.

 

Despite feeling genuinely flattered, Jakyung cleared before insisting, ”I’m really not interested in meeting anybody tonight, I’m sorry.”

 

To her terror, his eyebrows bounced again. “Well, how about we meet after tonight then?” His creepy question sounded more like a statement.

 

“Oh God, please no. Please go chat up some other girl.” Jakyung leaned as far back away from him as her seat would allow. He seized his chest and pouted, his bottom wipe quivering ever so slightly.

 

“Never! From now on, I’ll only have eyes for you!” Chanyeol announced with certainty and sprung up from his seat. He rapidly scrambled his mind for a cute pet name. Baby? Too personal. Songbird? Makes no sense. Teddybear? Oh my God, Chanyeol what are you, 5?!

 

“Until we meet again, my snapping turtle.”

 

What.

 

The.

 

!

 

Chanyeol, you bloody idiot!