Four

Selfish Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojung cradled her head in her arms as she willed herself to stop crying. She was sitting on a bench in the hospital's garden, a place that she had been visting quite a lot lately. Her awkward sitting position made her back hurt, but she did not care. Everything else hurt more; her eyes were swollen from crying, her head was throbbing from the lack of sleep, most of all, her heart hurt from the heartbreak she was feeling. 

This was for the best. It did not matter that she would lose everything, as long as Kyungsoo was happy, she would be alright. 

Her phone vibrated and she quickly fished it out of her pocket. It was a text message from Jinri. 

'Soojung-sshi, I've got to go. I have a meeting to get to. Sorry for leaving without saying goodbye first. Kyungsoo Oppa is already awake and I think he wants to talk to you. Good luck.'

She smiled bitterly at the text. She was having mixed feelings about the news. She was happy that he was finally awake, but at the same time her heart ached realizing that Jinri had such a big effect on Kyungsoo. Soojung had been with him every night since he was hospitalized, talking and encouraging him to get better, but she never got any response from him, not even a twitch of his fingers. Now his precious love came and he immediately woke up because of her presence.

The brunette sighed for the umpteenth time that day, her heavy steps guiding her towards the source of her heart ache.

The second she entered the room she was met with the sight of her husband staring at her with an unreadable expression. Suddenly, all the pain in her chest dissipated, only happiness remained in her heart. 

Pure, untainted happiness.

He was okay. That was what really mattered. She had lost sight of what was important for a second, but the moment she met his eyes, she was reminded. 

His happiness. That was what mattered the most; her own was never a priority.

Before she even realized what she was doing, she found herself sitting on the edge of his bed, embracing him tightly. She buried her face in the crook of his neck as her tears fell. She knew that he hated her touches, but she just wanted to hold him for one more second, hoping to convey how glad she was. She would let go when he pushed her away.

Kyungsoo just sat there, confused and unable to comprehend the situation. He finally snapped out of his trance when he felt her tears soaking his shoulder. His arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer as he rubbed comforting circles on her back. "Shh.. Don't cry, Soojung-ah. I'm still here, I'm not going to leave any time soon."

Saying she was shocked by his actions was an understatement, but she was too contented to care. 

Soojung finally pulled away, not wanting to overstay her welcome. She looked at him with a wide smile on her lips. "I'm glad you're okay. I was so worried."

He raised his hands to meet her cheeks in a gentle touch and his fingers wiped away the remaining tears staining her fair skin. He brought his face closer to hers, resting his forehead against hers. Kyungsoo let out a sigh, the warm air fanning her face. "Yeah, I can tell. You look like hell. I'm the one who is sick and yet you're the one who looks like you're about to pass out soon. Have you been eating at all since the day I fell unconscious?"

"Yes, I have." By the way she avoided m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter