One

Selfish Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo woke up with a massive headache that morning. He groaned as the throbbing in his head intensified when he made a move to get up. He cursed himself for giving in to temptation to drink away his sorrow the night before when he remembered that he had to attend a meeting with an important client today. The soft knock on the door and the timid voice behind it made his mood worsened.

He found himself blaming the owner of the voice for this unfortunate situation. Yes, it's always her fault. In his eyes she's always in the wrong. She did this to him. She's the one who turned him into this person. Jung Soojung was the culprit who had taken away his happiness. He had a sudden urge to punch something, preferably her pretty little face when he remembered how he was forced to marry her instead of the woman he loved.

When the knocking did not cease, he slammed the door open and glared at the woman in front of him. He took the satisfaction in knowing that she feared him as he saw her flinched and struggled to form her sentences.

"Op-oppa, Father c-called me to r-remind you of that important meeting you ha-have wi-th the Ch-choi's today." Soojung pathetically stuttered.

"I already know, you don't have to remind me! Do you think I'd forget something as important as that? I'm not an idiot like you." He screamed in her face. He knew that it was not her intention at all to imply that he was stupid and she just wanted to make sure that he would not get in trouble with his father later but he did not care. Kyungsoo just wanted her to suffer. He wanted her to know that he hated every fiber of her being. His conscience was telling him that what he's doing was wrong, but the voice that was saying 'it's her fault i'm miserable, her fault!' was louder.

"Th-that's not what I meant, I just-"

"Save it. Now, scram! You're making my day worse and it's still morning. I'll go insane if I have to see your ugly face for one more second." He pushed her away and slammed the door in her face.

'Ugly? That's the biggest lie in the history of the world. She's gorgeous.' A tiny voice in his mind said.

"Why the hell did I even think that? I must be losing my damn mind if I think that annoying woman is attractive. I have to cut back on the alcohol before I go insane." Kyungsoo dismissed the thought quickly and focused on getting ready instead.

When he got out of the shower, he found his suit already laid out for him on the bed by Soojung. She was nowhere to be found but a small post-it note was left on his door. It read: Oppa, I'm out getting some groceries. I already left you some breakfast on the kitchen table. Eat it while it's still hot. I also made some juice for your hangover. P/S: Good luck on your important meeting! I'm sure the client will love you :) -Soojung.

A small smile graced his lips when he read the note she left. He could almost picture her cheering him on. He imagine her jumping like a child with her fist in the air and a bright smile on her face like she always did when they were still friends. Yes, there was a time when Kyungsoo did not loathe Soojung. In fact, back then, Jung Soojung was one of the few people that he cherished the most. She was his best friend. She was the person who had promised that she would do anything to make him happy.

'You lied to me, Soojung-ah. You said you'd do anything to make me happy, but why are you making me miserable instead? You broke your promise.'

Suddenly Kyungsoo was taken back to the day where his happiness and freedom were taken away from him.

He was hanging out with his buddies at Jongin's apartment when his mother called him. He was worried when she sounded so sad and troubled on the other end of the line.

"Kyungsoo-ah, can you please come home immediately, dear? I have something to tell you." His mom sounded like she was on the verge of crying.

His heart quickened as horrible thoughts crossed his mind. 'Is it about Father? Is he alright?'

"Yes, Mother. I'll be there as soon as I can." Kyungsoo quickly left Jongin's house after hanging up, ignoring the questions that came from his concerned friends.

With heavy steps, Kyungsoo entered his house. He was afraid to know what had happened, but he steeled himself and called out to his mother from the living room.

"In here, dear." He heard his mother's reply coming from the study room.

Kyungsoo let out a sigh of relief when he saw his father sitting on one of the sofas in the room, but the comfort was short lived when he saw how worried both of his parents looked.

"What's wrong Mother, Father?" He immediately asked as he settled down on the couch next to his mother.

"Kyungsoo-ah, you know that for the these past few years our company has not been doing so well right?" His mother asked.

Yes, it was true that recently his company was in crisis. Three months ago, it nearly went bankrupt but fortunately the Jung's was willing to loan them some money to get them back on their feet again.

"Yes, Mother. I know, but didn't Father say that the company is going to sign a contract with a new client on a big project? I thought if we get the tender to this project we will be able to solve our financial problems." Kyungsoo was confused.

"That's what we thought because the client seemed like they were ready to sign a contract with us. Unfortunately, I received a call from them today to inform us that they have changed their mind and are going to give the project to Blue City Co. instead." His father finally spoke. He sounded so dejected.

"We have no choice but to ask for the Jung's help again. Mr Jung offered to merge our companies together, but he has one condition for us. He-" Mrs Do explained but suddenly trailed off. Kyungsoo suddenly felt an uneasy feeling rising in his gut.

His mother

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter