Chapter 4

Looking Beyond the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next few periods weren't as bad as the first. You refused to hold Sehun's hand when walking from class to class, no matter how much he begged and pleaded. Only so there wouldn't be a repeat of what happened earlier in that morning.

 

The lunch bell finally rang, giving you the freedom to be with your best friend. You walked towards his desk where he was talking to his seat neighbour.

 

"Sehun-ah~ can we go eat lunch please?" You tried to say in a sweet tone, but ended up sounding incredibly impatient.

 

He gave you his poker face and glowered at you, "Why don't you go eat by yourself?" He said in annoyed tone.

 

"Oppa~don't be angry at me...you know what happens when you give me that face," you said mischievously, giving him a threatening look.

 

His face immediately flashed a nervous smile, before you could begin torturing tickling him. "You know it's impossible to be mad at you Sulyeonnie~" he said sweetly and ruffled your hair.

 

"Yah!!!" You complained while trying to fix your now bird nest-like hair. "For that you should buy me lunch." Your bottom lip jutting out and your cheek puffed to form a pout.

 

"Aigooo~you think your aegyo is effective on me," he said while sticking his tongue out at you.

 

Suddenly you two heard someone clear their throat. Your heads turned to face the source of the sound.

 

"Umm sorry for interrupting whatever that was, but I guess you're not going to eat lunch with us Sehun..." His seat neighbour had boldly said.

 

"Of course I am, and this weirdo" he said while pointing at you, "will be joining us too!"

 

"Yah! Why do you always treat me like that!?" You said while playfully hitting Sehun's arm. "Hi I'm Sulyeon, Sehun's best friend, it's nice to meet you," you said turning to the tall, handsome, and tanned male next to the idiot.

 

"Kim Jongin, feel free to call me Kai though," he gave you a smile and let out a small chuckle, "it's nice to meet you too"

 

"Okay! I'm hungry now! Lets go eat!" Sehun said, his smile reaching his eyes.

 

With that, all three of them walked to the cafeteria.

 

• • •

 

As you three entered the cafeteria, you felt a little nervous. Sehun was going to introduce you to his friends, and you really wanted them to accept you like the way Kai did. I don’t know why I want them to like me so much...I mean it really shouldn’t affect me. The tree is still gonna be my best friend anyways. He made that perfectly clear in grade 1, when he tried to sneak away to Canada with me...I’m never gonna get rid of that idiot...well at least I can always count on him. You allowed Sehun to hold your hand on the way to the cafeteria, only due to his incessant aegyo and bothering. You were silently hoping no one was noticing though. Although you honestly couldn’t care less about what people think of you, you hated the attention that came with rumors. So, you tried your best to lay low at school, but it was turning out quite difficult when you have Sehun next to you practically at all times.

 

The three of you were approaching a cafeteria table in the middle of the cafeteria where 10 attractive guys were sitting. Does Sehun honestly have no other friends that are girls? I guess Hyeri-ssi wasn’t kidding when she says he ignores them.

 

"Hey Sehunnie! I heard that you're dating the new girl!" You heard a boy with prominent cheekbones yell.

 

"Yeah, I heard that too!"

 

"Me too!"

 

"Me too!"

 

"Wow, you move fast. You landed her on her first day here."

 

"No, that's not what I heard. Hyeri-ssi said they were dating even before she even came to Seoul," another said and broke into laughter, mouth forming a rectangle.

 

You and Sehun were in awe. You had no idea how fast these rumours spread. At that instant, you tried to sneak away from your best friend. But his hand was still firmly grasping yours.

 

Sehun smiled sheepishly and brought his free hand and rubbed the back of his neck. You were now infuriated that he would let people believe you two were dating, you practically exploded.

 

"YAHHH!!!! AREN'T YOU GOING TO SAY ANYTHING?!?!?!?!?!?" You yelled at Sehun.

 

The entire table went silent and stared at you in shock. They obviously didn't see you standing behind your tree of a best friend. Embarrassed by the attention you were receiving, you tried to escape the scene again. But Sehun’s hand was still firmly grasped to yours. Why does he have to be so strong???? I just want to eat in peace...Sehun let goooooooo.

 

You gave up trying to escape and decided to introduce yourself properly. Since the entire table’s attention was still solely focused on you, it wasn’t to hard to get them to listen.

 

“Hi everyone! I’m Choi Sulyeon,” you said sweetly and flashed them a small smile. “I transferred here from Canada and I am very pleased to meet all of you. You are Sehun-oppa’s friends, right?” You saw them all nod, but they looked so astounded. You just took their silence as a sign to continue talking. “Well I’ve known Sehun-oppa for long time, and I’m glad to see he’s gotten more friends over the years...I remember being his only friend from preschool to grade 1. Well I’m his best friend, I hope you all accept me well,” you ended and gave them a small bow and another smile.

 

The first of the 10 to speak was the guy with the insane cheekbones.

 

“I’m Jongdae...but everyone tends to call me Chen. It’s nice to meet you,” he said with a big smile and then turned to Sehun. “Yah Sehunnie! Why didn’t you ever tell us your best friend was a cute girl?!”

 

Sehun sighed and rolled his eyes. "Well you never asked."

 

"That's no reason not to tell us," the guy with the rectangular smile said and turned to you. "I'm Baekhyun, but you can call me oppa," he said as his eyes turned into crescents. "Come sit next to me, so you can help me figure out how Sehun could find someone as pretty as you."

 

His words caused your cheeks to tint a slight pink and you to shift with unease. You weren't used to people calling you cute and pretty. You were always too focused on school to listen to what others thought about you.

 

"Yah hyungs! I think you're creeping her out..." Sehun complained and pouted.

 

"Aigoo maknae...you're the one who never hangs out with any girls. How would you know if it creeps her out..." The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter