Of Trying To Be Better.

We do not have chemistry!

The next day, Youngjae was staring at his book again. He was debating whether he should go to field today or not. He wondered why Daehyun wanted to meet him there after school today. Youngjae let out a small sigh as he looked around at his chaotic classroom. The teachers were in a meeting at the moment so the students were free.

His eyes met Daehyun who was talking with his friends. Sometimes Youngjae missed the Daehyun he knew before. He could be carefree and talk whatever he wanted with him but this Daehyun made him shut everyone out especially him. He disliked this Daehyun for making him like that.

Like Daehyun knew someone was staring, he looked to his front just to see a blushing Youngjae. Maybe he was blushing because he was caught staring. Daehyun gave Youngjae his trademark smirk before Youngjae turned his back to him. Daehyun laughed suddenly.

“What is wrong with you?” Jaebum asked. “Ah, nothing. I just want to laugh.” Daehyun answered. “You’re weird.” Jaebum chuckled. “Why are you so interested with him anyway?” He added. Daehyun shrugged and smiled watching Youngjae from behind until the bell rang signaling for recess.

Youngjae placed his books and stationary neatly on his desk before he took out a lunchbox from his bag then he stood up, ready to walk to the rooftop. He wished that Daehyun wouldn’t join his lunch with Jongup and Zelo today though since he wanted to ask the boys about him. Youngjae reached the rooftop 5 minutes later where he could see Jongup and Zelo already fighting for a sushi.

“I see it first! You already had one just now!” Zelo said unsatisfied. “But I want more~ You made a very delicious sushi so don’t blame me if I finished them all.” Jongup pouted. “You don’t even leave it for Youngjae.” Zelo pouted too. They both then turned to Youngjae who was standing next to them when the boy chuckle.

Youngjae sat before he revealed his lunchbox to them which they were smiling widely about it. “Oh, you bought a lunchbox!” Jongup chirped. Youngjae nodded before he added;

“Yup. My mother made me this though I don’t really want it but anyway, stop fighting for the sushi and let’s dig in whatever in here yeah?”

Both Jongup and Zelo nodded at Youngjae so Youngjae opened his lunchbox carefully with his shaky hands. Although this was not the first time his mother had made him a lunchbox but this was the first time his mother made him one since he became a high school student.

There were bibimbap, kimbap, egg rolls, and some sushi in it. The smell of it made Jongup and Zelo drool, they were really happy for the meal as they could finish it in one second but looking at how touched Youngjae was, they had to stare for another minutes. Youngjae’s eyes watered as he looked at the meal in front of him.

He didn’t know his mother still remembered his favorite. Youngjae was back to his sense again when he heard Zelo and Jongup talked.

“Where’s the sushi? Did you eat it?” Zelo whispered at the smiling Jongup. “Um, yup?” He answered innocently causing Zelo to strangle him. “Yah you jerk! How dare you??!” Zelo asked. He was not amused by Jongup who was laughing at him. Youngjae laughed at both of them too. “Aigooo, stop it. You can eat mine Zelo.” Youngjae offered.

Zelo huffed as he let Jongup go then he took a sushi into his mouth. “You too Jongup.” Youngjae said when Jongup was giving him his puppy eyes. They were eating peacefully when Youngjae decided to ask about Daehyun. He cleared his throat first then he spoke.

“How long have you been friends with Daehyun?”

“Since sophomore era? I don’t remember.” Zelo shrugged. “Yeah I think since we were sophomore. You wouldn’t believe how we met.” Jongup added before he and Zelo laughed. “Why? How did you guys met?” Youngjae asked curiously.

Jongup started the story telling. He told that he met Daehyun when Daehyun was bullied by a group of boys. One of them was his own brother. He did advise Daehyun to report it to their discipline teacher but Daehyun would never do that, he loved his brother so much. He said, at least that was the why he could communicate with his brother.

“Trust me that I did punch him so bad when I heard that. Communicate my ! They were freaking living under the same roof!” Jongup said while frowning hard. Zelo rubbed Jongup’s back to calm him and Youngjae could only nod. Then Jongup continued his story.

He told Youngjae about the cheating too. Everyone in their old school knew about it and Daehyun didn’t give a damn at first but as time flew, Daehyun changed. Both Jongup and Zelo didn’t sure the real reason but after Daehyun’s brother transferred his school, Daehyun started to change.

“Maybe he was holding it in for too long already so he couldn’t take it anymore. People were talking about him, teachers were scolding him for no reason; that was tough anyway.” Zelo said. Youngjae nodded, he felt sympathy and sorry too for Daehyun. There is more that I don’t know about this Daehyun.

“Daehyun was not like this before. He was quite, timid and that was why people could do anything to him plus it was his brother who started it first so then other students thought it was okay to use Daehyun to let their anger out.” Jongup sighed before he took an egg roll. Zelo slapped his hand but Jongup didn’t care.

Youngjae stared at his fingers silently.

“Why did you ask anyway? Did he do something to you?” Jongup asked. Youngjae shook his head as he smiled. “Nah, he just wants to meet me at the field today after school.” He answered. Zelo smiled at him before he wiggled his eyebrows. “Aren’t you afraid of him anymore?” Zelo asked playfully.

Youngjae rolled his eyes. “Don’t mind this jerk. Just go Youngjae. Who knows it was important right? Plus he won’t hurt you but if he did, just tell me so I can kick his for you.” Jongup said causing Youngjae to laugh. He nodded his head.

“Alright, I’m sure I will. Let’s finish this, I don’t want to be late for next class!” Youngjae chirped and they started to finish the meal.

 

 

 

Youngjae walked to the field with his eyes were looking at his shoes. His hands were clutched tightly on his backpack while he nibbling his lips nervously. He could hear the sound of people cheering and laughing thus he knew, he was coming closer to Daehyun.

“Youngjae!” Someone called and Youngjae didn’t need to guess who when he saw Daehyun was waving at him from a far after he lifted his head up. “Sit there and I’ll follow later!” Daehyun pointed at a bench under s big tree near the filed. Youngjae nodded hesitantly then Daehyun was running after a ball again.

They were playing soccer and Youngjae couldn’t help but to feel jealous since he couldn’t play. He really loved soccer though. Youngjae waited patiently as he sat on the bench while watching them play. He looked at his watch worriedly when they didn’t stop playing yet but it was becoming late.

Youngjae breathed when they finally stopped. His heart was beating like crazy when he noticed how sweaty Daehyun was. His t-shirt was soaking, his hair was wet and there were some of his sweat dripping from his flushed face. Youngjae sure it should sound gross and yuck but it didn’t instead it sound so y and yummy.

Youngjae took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

When he opened his eyes, he smiled when he saw Daehyun was laughing with his friends. Daehyun’s laugh and smile could light up the whole world especially the darkest place in his heart, unfortunately Youngjae didn’t let it happen. He couldn’t trust Daehyun like he did before.

“Alright, I’ll see you guys tomorrow!” Daehyun said to his friends. “Bye Daehyun. Have fun~!” One of his friends said and all of them laughed before Daehyun finally jogged towards Youngjae. He placed his bag there in purpose which it was far from his friends’ plus he didn’t want to scare Youngjae with his friends. They didn’t really behave well.

Youngjae stood up and watched Daehyun approached him with a smile never leave his face. “I’m glad you came.” He said before he walked to his bag. Daehyun took out a bottle of water and drank it up immediately. Youngjae watched how Daehyun’s chest rose and fell when he gulped down the water and he wanted to tell Daehyun to slow down but he lost his voice.

Daehyun let out a relief sigh then he breathed like normal when he was calm. “W-what.. do you want Daehyun?” Youngjae asked after a moment battled with his self. He was glad he could speak though he thought he couldn’t. “I want to make a deal with you. A truth and dare deal.” Daehyun answered casually.

Youngjae blushed when he saw Daehyun took off his soaked t-shirt so he lowered his gaze to the ground. “A deal?” He asked. He heard Daehyun chuckled at him. “It’s kinda like Truth or Dare game but this is Truth and Dare, in my own ways and rules.” Daehyun answered as he wiped his body with a clean towel before he put on a new t-shirt. Even though he loved to be shirtless for now but he didn’t want to freak Youngjae out.

“You can look at me now. I have shirt on me.” He said while ruffling his hair with the towel. “I still don’t understand. Care to elaborate more?” Youngjae asked as he finally had his eyes on Daehyun again. Daehyun snorted before he nodded.

“Alright fine. I’ll explain again.” He said. “This deal is very simple. I only dare you to teach me Chemistry until the final exam and if you successful teaching me that, then you can ask me anything but just a question. I’ll grant you a truth.” Daehyun smirked.

Youngjae frowned. “What if I don’t want to play this game with you?” He asked. “Well, actually this deal has rules. First, you have no option. If I choose you then you have to take it. Second, don’t question my logic. Third, read the first and second rules again.” Daehyun answered while packing up his things.

Youngjae tried hard not to drop his jaw. “You’re crazy! I don’t want it and I don’t care about the damn truth.” He shouted. Daehyun stopped packing and he looked at Youngjae coldly. “Don’t shout plus trust me, you need the truth. We’ll start tomorrow.” Daehyun replied. Youngjae shook his head.

“No we’re not. Just find someone else Daehyun.” Youngjae still with his stubborn mind. He didn’t want to involve with Daehyun anymore. Daehyun sighed before he walked towards Youngjae.

Youngjae watched Daehyun walked towards him with a loud thus in his chest – his heart pumping like crazy I told ya – but still, he didn’t dare to move even an inch. Slowly he gulped watching the tall, masculine, adorable yet cute figure breathing huskily near his earlobe and –

“I bet you’ll swallow back what you’ve said Princess.” Daehyun said, more like a reminder to Youngjae but he didn’t care. He pressed his lips into a thin line and took his breath before he shoved Daehyun away, softly from nearer him. “Never would I do that. Fine, the dare is mine, I’ll do it. I’ll teach you Chemistry.” Youngjae answered.

Daehyun shook his head while chuckling. “For the ing nth time I told you, it’s not a dare. It’s a deal!” He stated. Youngjae blinked.

“But you did dare me to teach you Chemistry…”

“Oh nevermind.” Daehyun said as he slung his backpack on his back. “And Youngjae, I saved you so you owe me one remember? I won’t be gentle with you anymore if you run again. Death or hell, you choose.” Daehyun added before he walked away from Youngjae. He didn’t mean to be like that but who knows what Youngjae would do right?

It’s okay to be selfish for this.

 

~^*^~

 

Yongguk looked at Daehyun who was eating beside him. Daehyun looked cheerful for no reason after he came back from school today and now he was eating like he was in his own world. “Aigoo my son is eating so well. Here, take this meat. I made this special for you.” He heard his mother spoke while giving Daehyun the meat and Daehyun was gladly accepted it.

He nodded as his mouth was full enough to allow him to speak. “You too Yongguk, eat this meat so you can grow up more.” His mother said causing Yongguk to smile. “Honey, you should eat more veggies to help you with your constipation. Here take this.” His mother told his father.

Yongguk, Daehyun and their father chocked on their foods. Each of them was struggling to live when they gulped the water endlessly. His mother looked at them with an ‘o’ mouth.

 “Did I say something wrong?”

“Omma!!” Daehyun and Yongguk shouted at the same time. They looked at each other for a second before they looked back at their mother. Whether it was dinner, lunch or breakfast, every time they ate together it was always in silence and cold. Daehyun knew his mother was trying to heat up their dinner but sometimes he thought that his mother was real; she never did something logic anyway.

“It’s true!” She defended herself. “But you don’t need to tell us about it, Omma.” Yongguk said while sighing. Their father glared at his wife before continued to eat. “Alright my bad. Forget about it, eat more yeah?” She said with her smile. Daehyun gulped his water even more when he couldn’t eat anymore.

“I’m done. Thanks for the meal.” Daehyun stood up then he took his plate to the sink to wash it. Yongguk followed him afterwards but he ignored him. He walked to his room, thinking what he should do with Youngjae tomorrow. He was about to close his bedroom door when Yongguk suddenly stopped it with his hands.

“What is it?” He asked boringly. “Why did you meet Youngjae today?” Yongguk asked. It was not that hard to know it as Daehyun was the hot topic of the school. One of his classmates whom played soccer with Daehyun today told about it in their group chat and Yongguk couldn’t stay still until he found out the reason why.

“It has nothing to do with you.” Daehyun replied and he wanted to close the door when Yongguk stopped him again. “Do you like him?” Yongguk asked.

“What? Yongguk!”

“He is a nice boy Daehyun. Don’t do anything stupid to him.” Yongguk cut Daehyun off before he could finish his words. Daehyun smirked. “I just asked him to teach me Chemistry. That’s all.” Daehyun said. Yongguk frowned at him.

“What do you mean teach you Chemistry? I thought –“

“You thought nothing. Don’t tell Youngjae anything, that’s all I ask you. That if you still want me to forgive you.”

Yongguk sighed. “Fine but this is Youngjae we are talking about. I won’t care about you anymore if you hurt him again.” He said before he walked away. He knew about everything that happened in the school but he could do nothing since Daehyun told him too. He wanted Daehyun to forgive him so bad and he also knew Daehyun was not able to hurt Youngjae.

He knew it since the soccer match months ago. He still remembered how mad Daehyun was though he didn’t unsure about the reason but it could be Youngjae. Yongguk wondered why Daehyun was mad when he should be happy because he won. Daehyun would never forgive him if he knew that Yongguk’s team lost the game in purpose though.

At least the secret is still safe with me.

 

~^*^~

 

Youngjae looked at the boy who was eating a ramen in front if him with interest. He knew a lot about Chemistry but still he wanted him to teach him that. “Daehyun.” Youngjae called. Daehyun only hummed in reply while busy slurping his ramen. This is heaven! He thought.

“Why do you ask me to teach you Chemistry?” Youngjae asked, earning a look from Daehyun. Because I don’t know what is Chemistry you silly. “Uhm, because I failed my exam before so Mr. Kang said I should find someone to tutor me.” He added then he nodded at his own words. Youngjae nodded too before he looked around the library.

Yeah yeah, he was wondering too why Daehyun could eat ramen here. He wanted to ask but Daehyun would never answer that. He would just say that he was allowed to eat ramen there. Youngjae made a face at him then he looked at the crowded outside the library. The girls were drying to be in his place right now and that was what Youngjae didn’t understand.

Didn’t they know that it was tiring to teach him though he knows a lot? Youngjae huffed then he puffed his cheeks in frustration. Daehyun coughed suddenly. “Don’t do that!” He shrieked. Youngjae looked at him rather confused of what he was talking about. “And that too!” He shrieked more. Youngjae looked at him weirdly before he looked at his book.

“Now that you finished with your ramen, tell me how to solve this problem?” Youngjae asked, showing Daehyun the problem he looked at a while ago. Daehyun shrugged in response before he sipped his juice.

 “Daehyun..”

“What? I really don’t know. You tell me then.”

Daehyun answered immediately. Youngjae didn’t want to fight anymore so he explained with all his best so Daehyun could understand it. They talked and discussed a few more problems before they headed out of the library. Luckily it was not that crowded anymore that Youngjae could pass through the students with ease.

They were waiting for Daehyun anyway.

Youngjae was walking to the entrance when he saw Yongguk leaned at it. He smiled automatically. “Yongguk!” Youngjae called as he ran towards him. “Hey.” Yongguk said when they now were facing each other. “Hey – uhm, what are you doing here?” Youngjae asked shyly. “Waiting for you of course. Let’s go to Matoki’s Café.” He said when he took Youngjae’s hand in his.

Youngjae blushed at the skin contact that he forgot what to reply. “My treat.” Yongguk added with his wink. Youngjae blushed even more and they walked together to Matoki’s Café, leaving Daehyun to handle the crowd alone.

Who told him to be that famous anyway?

 

 

 

Youngjae was laughing as he was listening to Yongguk and Himchan bickering about something. Yongguk told him that Himchan was his best friend since they were little; Himchan stopped his studies to run the café since he didn’t want to further his studies anymore. Himchan was two years older than Yongguk and him anyway. Now Youngjae knew why Yongguk seemed so close with Himchan.

Suddenly, he felt jealous looking at their friendship. How he wished he had someone like Yongguk had Himchan too. They talked for a while before Youngjae excused his self to go home. He promised to help his mother making dinner today. When Yongguk offered to accompany him, he couldn’t say no.

“Do you like Himchan?” Yongguk asked Youngjae on their walk. Youngjae nodded while smiling. “Yeah. He is funny!” Youngjae exclaimed. “I like him too.” Yongguk said. Youngjae didn’t know what to say but he smiled anyway. “Of course you like him. You won’t be his friend if you don’t like him though.” Youngjae said.

There was a bit different in Yongguk’s eyes when they talked about Himchan or when he talked to Himchan that Youngjae couldn’t guess what it was.

“Do you like me?” Youngjae asked nervously. Yongguk laughed before he ruffled Youngjae’s hair playfully causing the boy to puff his cheeks. “Of course I like you silly or I won’t be your friend.” He answered.

And Youngjae had this feeling that he would always be a friend to him. 

 

~^*^~

 

English was their second class that morning before the recess where Youngjae couldn’t concentrate much. Though he really enjoy Mr. Andrew’s class but he couldn’t stopped his mind from thinking.

He had been thinking a lot recently.

Starting from Yongguk’s confession yesterday to his tutor for Daehyun. About Yongguk, Youngjae decided that he wouldn’t confess his feelings to him. It was better if he kept it as his secret even it was obvious that he liked the boy. Well, it isn’t that obvious since Yongguk didn’t notice it. Right? He thought. He groaned afterwards. He needed to tell Jongup and Zelo about this.

Youngjae slapped his forehead when he remembered that he forgot to ask Daehyun about their tutor together. That cunning boy didn’t mention about it before so it couldn’t be everyday right? Youngjae sighed when he thought about that.

“Youngjae? Are you sick?” Mr. Andrew asked him suddenly when he saw Youngjae put his head on the desk. Youngjae was startled for the sudden call then he smiled sheepishly before he shook. “No Sir, I’m sorry for disturbing your class.” He answered with English too. “Alright then. Well, look at the time, I think we’ll stop here and don’t forget to read the novel.” He said to the class.

Youngjae was blushing slightly when his classmates were still looking at him as they answered with a loud yes to Mr. Andrew. When the class was almost empty, Youngjae turned to look at Daehyun. The boy was smirking at him like he knew Youngjae would look at him. Youngjae huffed.

He approached Daehyun with his arms crossed over his chest, looking at the boy dryly. “We need to talk.” He said. “Then talk.” Daehyun replied as he watched Youngjae sat across him, still with the face that made him enjoy looking more at Youngjae. “I notice that we haven’t set up the day for the tutor. I meant I can’t tutor you everyday and you’re not available everyday correct?” He asked earning a nod from Daehyun.

“So?”

“So, let’s set up the schedule! When are you free?”

“Wednesday and Monday.” Daehyun answered while looking at Youngjae’s eyes. He could see how nervous Youngjae was. “What about weekends? I thought to tutor you on weekends.” He said. Daehyun raised his eyebrows in interest. “I know you can’t live a day without me, Jae but please, don’t disturb my weekends though I really like your idea.” He winked.

Daehyun knew, if it was going to be weekends, Youngjae would suggest studying in his home and Daehyun’s in turn. Daehyun wouldn’t allow that since Youngjae would meet Yongguk at his home.

Youngjae rolled his eyes. “Ugh fine. Wednesday and Monday it would be.” Youngjae said as he stood up. “And also since I’m free today don’t you dare to run. Meet me at the field.” Daehyun said when Youngjae was walking to the door. Youngjae gave him his boring look before he answered with ‘fine’ then Youngjae stomped away.

He needed to meet Jongup and Zelo right now.

 

 

“What do you mean Yongguk said he likes Himchan?” Zelo asked curiously. “I don’t know but it’s okay. At least he is happy when with Himchan.” Youngjae shrugged. He tried to smile but he can’t and Jongup noticed that.

He knew Youngjae was not Yongguk’s boyfriend months ago when he and Zelo teased the boy about Yongguk. It was a rumor since Yongguk was nice to him and Yongguk always protected him. He felt sorry for Youngjae though since he said he was going to confess to Yongguk on their graduation day but now, Youngjae wouldn’t confess anymore.

He wanted to tell Daehyun about that but then he thought it was better if Youngjae told him. There were lots of misunderstanding between those two.

Jongup shook his head. “Just forget about him Youngjae. Who knows if there is someone better than him waiting for you outside there? All you need to do is to open your heart.” He advised Youngjae. Zelo nodded before he faked a gag at Jongup. “Ew. That’s weird.” Zelo said.

“What?”

“You saying thing like that.”

“Yah!”

Jongup strangled Zelo playfully causing Youngjae to laugh. Maybe he had his own best friends too and that would be Jongup and Zelo. They really made his day every time they hang out together and Youngjae was really grateful for it.

Daehyun watched the scene from a far. Even though he couldn’t hear the conversation but he was glad that Jongup and Zelo could make Youngjae smile. The smile that he had fell for since the first time he saw it. 

 


ohohoho what chemistry that daehyun didn't know huh?

and youngjae will try to look at daehyun like before so stay tuned!

i'm trying my best to finish this fic before tomorrow night bcs i have to leave for my college and i'm sure i won't have time to update anymore ;;

anyway, more will be revealed so don't worry ^^