Curiosity

New Friends

Thank you everyone for subscribing!


“Namjoon…”

Namjoon ignores the warning hiding in his mate’s whine as he runs his nose along the column of Hoseok’s neck, arms tightening around the latter’s lithe waist, pulling Hoseok flush against him, inhaling deeply before placing soft kisses up his neck, “You smell so good, Seok…”

Hoseok takes a deep breath before letting it out with a sigh, turning slightly to nuzzle Namjoon’s cheek, smiling when Namjoon lets out an annoyed rumble when Hoseok goes no further, instead pushing him against him again, “And so do you. Now go elsewhere so I can cook dinner, please.”

Namjoon pouts at him before sighing and letting Hoseok go and throwing himself into a chair at their table, laying his head on his folded arms and watching Hoseok move around their kitchen in their dinner preparation, sighing again when Hoseok doesn’t even look at him, “This .”

“Hm?” Hoseok hums eyes never leaving the flour he’s carefully measuring out.

“This!” Namjoon stands suddenly, waving his hand between them frantically, “We’ve rarely mated or even cuddled for so long now!”

“Namjoon!” Hoseok turns to him now, eyes wide at the sudden outburst from his alpha, “That’s-”

“You don’t even have your heat cycle anymore! It’s like your body ing knows you’re caring for pups even though they’re not even ours! How is that-”

“We-we’re not yours, Papa?”

Both elder wolves whip around to the kitchen’s doorway where Jimin is standing, lower lip wobbling dangerously, purple eyes wide and glowing with unshed tears, hands shaking around the small white kitten plush Namjoon vaguely remembers Nikolai making the younger a few years back. Jimin is always weirdly fascinated with cats for a canine and hasn’t let the thing get ruined and always has it with him. Namjoon internally swears at the way Jimin is looking at him like his heart is breaking, letting out a low rumble as he takes a step towards the younger, biting his lip, feeling his own heart breaking when Jimin flinches and takes a step back, a low whimper leaving his lips before the younger bolts from the hallway and out of the house, passing a confused Taehyung just coming down the stairs.

JIMIN!

Hoseok rushes to the door, pushing passed a despondent Namjoon, shrieking when he runs straight into a wall of water, being reminded of the rain still pounding outside, a desperate whine making its way up his throat when he realizes he they won’t be able to smell Jimin at all like this.

“Mama?” Taehyung hesitates, gently tugging on the hem of Hoseok’s shirt, looking up at Hoseok with confusion wavering into concern when Hoseok just lets out another whine before turning swiftly.

Namjoon’s head jerks to the side, a hand coming up to rest on his cheek as he looks at Hoseok glaring at him, tears leaking from his own set of endless purple and Namjoon’s heart sinks further at the pain he sees in his mate’s eyes knowing he’s let down both of them. He lowers his head when Hoseok growls at him to “Find their child.”

Hoseok watches Namjoon slink out of the house before shifting and taking off into the woods. Sighing, Hoseok turns to smile at Taehyung as he scoops the silent ten year into his arms, crooning softly while carrying him back upstairs.

-----

Namjoon shakes his head, grunting softly at the water dropping in his eyes, obscuring his sight briefly as he contemplates calling out for Jimin. His heart stutters for a moment when realizes even if he does there’s a good chance Jimin won’t respond to him. He’s so angry with himself. Yes, he’s frustrated because he and Hoseok can’t be overly intimate with each other. Yes, Hoseok’s body has responded to the pups in their pack. Their pups. Yes, their pups(Jimin specifically, if Namjoon has to say)are overly clingy with the two older wolves. Yes, they end up puppy-piling more nights than not.

But Namjoon understands why.

He sees the reason in the way tears streak Jimin’s face at night when Taehyung drags the two to their parents’ bedside. He sees the reason in the way Jimin shakily snuffles closer to them, watery whimpers leaving his lips before he calms down at Hoseok’s soft croons and Namjoon’s low rumbles and Taehyung’s fingers laced with his own. He sees the reason in the way Taehyung and Jimin quietly reassure each other of their own and their parents’ existence.

He understands.

Which makes it that much worse when he’s just basically shouted to the world that he resents their children. Snarling Namjoon shakes his head again, before throwing his head back and howling angrily at the still leaking sky.

Shaking his whole body at the water slowly weighing him down, Namjoon catches movement to his left, whipping around and curling his lips in a ferocious snarl as he crouches defensively. He immediately relaxes his stance at the yelp of fright and the smell of fear that overcomes his senses, easily distinguishable even through the sound of sleeting water. Crouching lower to the ground, Namjoon crawls forward towards the bush, whining softly when he can only fit half of his body under the bush. He can see the smaller black pup curled around the water-logged(but still relatively white, Namjoon muses)white kitten, staring at Namjoon with wide, fear-filled eyes. Namjoon huffs before plopping down half under the bush, the lower branches catching uncomfortably on his fur and half in the rain drenching his fur once more, shuffling a bit to get as comfortable as he can, laying his head down on the wet ground, eyeing Jimin watching him once again before closing his eyes.

-----

Ears pricking, Namjoon scrambles out from under the bush, noting with wry amusement that Jimin has moved against his muzzle sometime between him falling asleep and him waking. Standing in alert, Namjoon tries to figure out what the reason of his waking is, the sunlight just barely changing the color of the sky above the treetops. Eyeing his surrounding cautiously, Namjoon nudges Jimin softly, waking the pup, who groggily responds to his slight growl with a confused whine, pushing his head against Namjoon’s front leg before plopping down in front of him, yawning widely. Namjoon will usually find this adorable but his hair is standing on end and he just wants to get back to the house where he can leave Jimin in safety while he tries to figure out what’s wrong with his territory.

Jimin gently takes his toy in teeth as Namjoon nudges him into a standing position once more, signaling for the pup to follow as the older looks around them warily. Jimin follows his alpha mindlessly, eyes wandering around the forest he ignored last night in favor of running. Their parents don’t usually let them play very far from the house and the furthest they’ve been from the house is into town every now and then. Jimin is always getting in trouble for his curiosity, Namjoon and Hoseok always having to rescue him from some sort of problem or another often. Very often, if Jimin has to admit. Taehyung is never as curious as Jimin is. Taehyung is content to take “Rain helps plants grow. Plants feed animals. We eat animals.” Jimin is more curious about “Why does rain make it grow? Where does rain come from? Does rain help the river grow, too? Where does the river come from?” Hoseok always smiles with a shake of his head as Namjoon patiently explains and answers every question Jimin can think of.

Jimin yelps when Namjoon suddenly picks him up by the scruff of his neck, sprinting through the forest quickly. Jimin is confused. He has no idea why they’re suddenly running so swiftly. He trusts his father, though, so he just tightens his grip on his cat as he watches Namjoon jump over logs and weave carefully between trees.

Hoseok is standing outside of the house when Namjoon tries to skid to a stop on the still wet grass, letting out a cry of surprise when he can’t stop, tripping over his feet momentarily, shifting quickly to wrap his arms around Jimin as he crashes into the side of their house. Namjoon moans in slight pain when Hoseok rushes to them, quickly grabbing Jimin from him as he bends down to examine his mate, petting Jimin softly when the pup whines in slight distress. Hoseok gently lets Jimin down when he starts wiggling incessantly, a slight smile lifting one corner of his lips as Jimin softly nudges Namjoon’s leg with a whine before trotting over to the cat he dropped at the loss of contact during Namjoon’s shift.

Namjoon stands abruptly, scooping Jimin up before he can reach his toy, grabbing it for him and shoving both at Hoseok, eyes hard as he commands, “Stay in the house. Take both of them upstairs and stay in their room until I come back.”

“But, Nam-”

Namjoon cuts him off with a snarl, eyes flashing and Hoseok cowers back slightly before nodding, nuzzling Namjoon lightly, “Be careful.”

Waiting for Hoseok to lock the door behind them, Namjoon listens carefully for the sound of the pup’s door locking before shifting again and racing into the forest towards the foreign smells.

-----

“Ah. Are you the Alpha of this territory?”

Namjoon shifts at his territories border, giving the other alpha a silent nod, eyes scanning the two others behind the alpha. One alpha, one theta and one omega. Namjoon is curious if they have a beta hiding somewhere as well, seeing as it’s unusual for an alpha to not have a beta as his automatic second pack-mate. Hoseok, himself, is Namjoon’s beta. Taehyung, though an epsilon even at his young age, has the making of an alpha, should he want it later in life. Most likely not for a few more centuries. Jimin is an oddity to Namjoon and Hoseok, he smells like a beta but plays the part of both a beta and an upsilon. Hoseok and Namjoon have no clue as to what Jimin will end up as when he hits maturity. They’ll know for sure when Jimin finds his mate, though. Submissive betas only ever have alphas as mates; upsilons are pretty open to all ranks, as long as they are cared for and protected.

The stranger smiles mirthlessly, shaking his head, “I have no beta. He…died.”

Namjoon’s eyes zero in on the way the theta smirks and the omega shivers, looking at the ground intently, a feeling of disgust filling him as he realizes what the alpha means. Squaring his shoulders, Namjoon meets the alphas eyes, a frown on his face, “Why are you in my territory?”

The alpha tisks mockingly, glancing round himself, “I believe I’m not actually in your territory. Yet.”

Namjoon bristles at the blatant disrespect, snarling dangerously as his eyes slowly bleed from brown to blue, finding pleasure in the way both the omega and the previously over-smug theta step back at the sound, “You won’t be coming into my territory, ever, if you value yours or your packs’ lives.”

“Oh. I don’t value their lives. I do, however, value the quality of nice smelling beta.” The alpha’s grin sends unpleasant thoughts racing through Namjoon’s head as he gives another warning growl. The alpha sighs in mock disappointment, “It’s too bad they smell so young. Still a pup, I’m assuming.”

Namjoon has to restrain himself for attacking the other alpha at the insinuation, “Leave. Now.

“You won’t introduce us to your pack?” The alpha throws him a frown dripping with bad intentions before laughing at the snarl Namjoon lets out. “That’s too bad. It won’t stop me, I hope you realize. That smell….mmm, delicious.

Namjoon growls low once more before locking eyes with the omega that crosses into his territory before the other alpha notices, too amused by Namjoon’s anger. The omega closes its eyes as his alpha snarls at his obvious defiant death wish, lunging across the border mindlessly to attack the omega.

Into Namjoon’s territory.

Namjoon grins maliciously as he shifts.

-----

Shaking his leg in irritation Namjoon lets out a huff as he makes his way back to the house, to the comfort of an awaited puppy-pile. Cursing the annoying theta Namjoon wonders the best way to bring up the incident to Hoseok, away from earshot of the pups. The last thing he needs is for Jimin to start asking question. How is he meant to explain to the young pup that a ic creepy alpha escaped from a fight with only deep wounds, thanks to his stupidly loyal theta? Or to Hoseok that said alpha has made a lifetime promise to come back after Jimin’s maturity to snatch up their pup?

“Namjoon!”

“Papa!”

Namjoon lets out a low grunt when he’s rammed into by one black blob and one auburn blob, letting them push him to the ground as the sniff at him quickly, nuzzling into unbloodied white fur before whining when Hoseok picks them up by their scruffs. Namjoon lets out another huff, this time out of amusement as he realizes they won’t be able to pick them up like that for much longer, at least not both at the same time.

“Come on, little ones. Let’s allow Papa some time to get leaned up, yeah? How about we go grab some blankets and snacks? We can lay outside tonight and Papa can tell us more about the stars and their constellations. How does that sound?” Hoseok smiles, gently setting the two on the ground, laughing as the immediately shift, letting out happy sounds as they race back inside.

Hoseok drops down next to Namjoon when he’s sure the younger two are okay in the house, fetching the aforementioned items, gently running his hand through the clean part of Namjoon’s fur, “What happened, Nam? I smelled the other wolves but other than knowing there was three, I’m pretty clueless. Tell me about it after they get to bed, okay? And, after you apologize to your child about what you said earlier. Do you understand me?”

Grinning at the instant nod of approval, Hoseok presses a quick kiss between Namjoon’s ears as the kids race back outside with their blankets, snacks and one freshly cleaned white kitten.


Let me know what you guys think. Do you like the random memories/flashbacks? Or should I not put them in? Comments a love and make me squeal in excitement~