The Crack

We're all right where we should be

Hanbin

It was dark and cold at the studio. Hanbin refused to go home early, as always. He told his friends that he needed to compose a new song for iKON debut later. Not that he lied, but it was a productive excuse to be left all by himself without suspicion and not having to walk home and spend time with his teammates at their dorm. After SMTM3, iKON leader Hanbin is having a hard time figuring out his relationship with his best friend, Bobby. It is well known to the public that Hanbin failed miserably during the show, even after being saved once from elimination by the judges, he still messed everything up and got himself kicked out. It doesn't help that after B.I. downfall, Bobby took the crown instead; stealing his spotlight he had been building with sweat and blood all these years - All for nothing. It doesn't help either that Bobby's popularity skyrocketed significantly after winning the show, even when Hanbin skimmed through polls and comments all over the web, Bobby is evidently more favored by the netizen than himself. He is sure that half of his fandom probably jump ship to Bobby already. Well, Hanbin is an admirer of Bobby too. Who doesn't? That kid is talented, friendly, and funny. He doesn't blame Bobby though. He will never blame Bobby. He understands that Bobby made it fairly, with hard work and determination, as well as him. But who else should he blame? Himself? For not having the lyrics memorized because he had to work on another lyrics too, and at the same time composing yet another song and coreograph for the future of his team? Which show is it that he should prioritize? Mix and Match or SMTM3? But he is the leader of iKON, he shouldn't make excuses. It's his job, his responsibility, and he already know the risk. Bobby, too, had been busy but he managed to do both SMTM3 and M&M. Is it really himself that is slacking? Hanbin wanted to turn back the time. To fix his mistakes, to redeem his sin. He wants to be like GD. This hyung ace in everything. Now that he failed SMTM3, even his iKON teammates are disappointed. He is THE B.I. people used to admire. All the producers used to be proud of him. It was always him in the past. B.I. this, B.I. that, Bobby used to be regarded as B.I. BFF, Bobby's name always placed after his. But now, even YG's recent press release is written "Bobby and B.I." Apparently they have moved on. He is not YG's golden child anymore.

 

***

 

Bobby

Bobby is a nice guy. He always take a very good care of his iKON teammates whom he considers as his own brothers. Especially Hanbin and Jinhwan. But particularly, Hanbin. Hanbin is like his long lost twin from different parents. They often know each other's feelings without even talking about it. Bobby and Hanbin have this connection - a chemistry, that had been developed since the first time they both met at YG. They never keep secrets from each other. Never successfully lie to each other either, because when one attempts to lie, another one will figure it out quickly. Touching Hanbin is not strange for Bobby, and vice versa. It's just how they both express their affection towards each other. Bobby lost counts of how many times he said "I love you" and "I miss you" to Hanbin, he just do it naturally - like breathing, whenever he feels like it. Being more expressive than Hanbin, Bobby is usually the one that comfort the other when one of them is feeling down. Being Hanbin's friend is never easy for Bobby, but it's what he loves most. He loves how he is the only one who can see the vulnerable side of iKON leader. He love it when Hanbin's mood is lighter after listening to his crappy jokes. For Bobby, their relationship is precious, and he is wondering why Hanbin seems to distance himself away from him lately. Bobby's initial thought was because he won SMTM3, and he already confronted Hanbin for that. He talked to his best friend about how he wished they could've won it together. Or that he wouldn't even there on the first place if he wasn't close with Hanbin. He know YG adores Hanbin and being best friend of YG's golden child helped him to be seen. On the backstage right after Hanbin was eliminated, Bobby rushed to Hanbin and hugged him tight. He cried for him. Hanbin rarely cried, he is accustomed to the "B.I. the leader" mask he wear everywhere he goes. So Bobby was the one who cried instead. Bobby would let himself being seen as weak, an anchor of the big ship that is B.I. so that Hanbin didn't have to tear off his mask and further tarnished his dignity. Bobby will protect Hanbin at all cost, without hesitation. He was about to approach Hanbin and ask him to go home together, when he saw Jinhwan and the others come right off the studio where Hanbin supposedly working since dawn. "He seems busy, he said we should go first," said Jinhwan with a sad smile. Bobby understand that Hanbin is busy, he always busy. But it had been two weeks straight. M&M producers also voiced their concerns and asked Bobby to get Hanbin's normal behavior back, because they have nothing to record other than a busy stoic leader with minimal interaction and it doesn't sell. However, Bobby doesn't want to disturb Hanbin, no matter how much he wants to. Like it or not, Hanbin is currently doing a good deed to his team. Hanbin's talent in composing is gold, and Bobby is envious of that. So he decided to ignore his ego, walked out from YG building with heavy heart and join the rest of his team.