008

PSYCHO (ON HIATUS)

 It was Chanyeol and Minah, the two person I least expected to meet at the moment.


Nara

Sunday passed in a haze. By the time I returned to school on Monday, Eunji and I hadn’t spoken a single word to each other. Sooyoung, as sharp as she was, realized this too.

“Hey Nara, has something happened between you and Eunji?” Sooyoung asked during lunch. I had sat on a different table from Eunji and the others. The only one accompanying me at the moment was Sooyoung. Of course, I badly wanted to sit with Chanyeol, but what choice did I have? I didn’t want to sit with them and let them notice that there’s a cold tension between Eunji and me.

“Nothing,” I said and stuffed an egg roll into my mouth.

“Really?” Sooyoung asked. That was one similarity between Eunji and Sooyoung’s character: They were always curious.

“Really,” I confirmed. “I just feel that those two couples need some space of their own.” I had to constantly remind myself not to spill everything out to Sooyoung as she didn’t know anything. I didn’t want her to split into two between Eunji and me.

Sooyoung nodded, indicating that she accepted my answer. I was hoping that she would change the topic, but instead she brought up the topic that I least wanted at the moment. “Do you realize that Eunji kept hanging out with Minah recently?”

I tensed in my seat. The food in my mouth seemed to lose its taste all of a sudden. I looked up and cracked a smile which I hoped to seem appropriate. “I did notice that,” I admitted, my voice hoarse.

“I wonder what’s so good about Minah though,” Sooyoung muttered as she stabbed her fork at the piece of meat on her plate.

I raised an eyebrow. “Why? Are you saying that you dislike Minah too?”

Sooyoung looked alarmed and waved her hands. “Oh, of course not! I just feel that Minah is taking up a lot of Eunji’s time. She seldom talks to us these days too.” I secretly agreed with her. Sooyoung stole a look at me and went on. “By the way, I noticed the way you asked me just now… Do you dislike Minah too?”

Yes, of course. I really disliked her. In fact, I despised her. Instead, I flashed a smile and made up an excuse. “Nah, of course not. I just noticed that there were some female students who disliked Minah for dating Chanyeol.”

Sooyoung nodded. “Of course. Minah is sure a lucky girl. To be honest, I’m a bit jealous of her,” she added with a grin.

I could only give her a wan smile as I glanced over to Chanyeol’s table. Eunji and Baekhyun chatted blithely as if nothing had happened. I furrowed my brows. How could she? I averted my gaze to Chanyeol. He, too, was whispering to Minah about something, probably a joke, and Minah laughed as if there was no tomorrow. I rolled my eyes. I looked at Chen as I didn’t feel like watching them being lovey-dovey, because it always worsens my mood. Chen was hunching over his plate; people would think that he was eating, but from my angle, I could see that he obviously was not eating. He was pushing his food about with his fork, his mind probably somewhere else. My thoughts ventured back to Saturday; Chen was obviously not as bad as I thought he would be. Maybe we could be friends after all. This time it was not because he was Chanyeol’s friend, it was because of his amazing personality that I had failed to notice before this. I bit back a smile, but it soon faltered when Chen gave a sigh. He looked troubled. He raised his head and looked at Eunji, and turned his head at me. Noticing my stare, he managed a weak smile. I gave him a concerned look, but he shook his head and continued with his lunch.

Sooyoung noticed this, and cleared audibly.

I whirled around and raised my eyebrows in sight of her sly gaze. “What?”

“Is there something between you and Chen?” Sooyoung smirked.

“Of course not,” I gave a frown at her ridiculous statement. “Why do you think so?”

“I noticed that he kept looking at you,” Sooyoung said. “Besides, you keep looking over to that table too.” Putting her palms together, she leaned in closer. “It’s obvious that there is something between both of you.”

I gulped nervously. My thoughts whirled into motion at once. Should I tell her about my outing with Chen? She would probably freak out, but still, she is my best friend, and Eunji knew about it already…

I dithered, my fingers drumming on the table, hovering between yes and no.

The corners of Sooyoung’s lips twitched slightly. “Well?”

I cleared my throat. “Alright, I’ll tell you, but you got to promise to keep yourself together. No interruption while I’m talking.” Sooyoung nodded furiously. “And not a word to anyone,” I added. Sooyoung continued to nod.

I rolled my eyes, and opened my mouth to explain. “Chen and I went to the amusement park last Saturday.” Sooyoung’s eyes widened. “We just went as friends,” I added after seeing Sooyoung’s reaction. Dirty thoughts were probably floating in her mind right now. “Nothing happened. We just get to know each other better, and… I realized that he is not that bad.”

Sooyoung, her eyes still wide, inhaled sharply. “So you admit that you like him?”

It took me a while before my mind could process what she said. “Of course not!” I objected. I thought for a while and continued. “Well, I do like him, but I only like him as a friend. You get it?”

Sooyoung sighed. Blatantly she was disappointed. I noticed this and told her, “If you like him so much, why don’t you just tell him?”

Sooyoung rolled her eyes, “Impossible! He’s not my type of guy. Besides, he already has someone in mind!”

“Ah, really? That girl must be very lucky then.”

“Yeah, she is very lucky,” Sooyoung said and sent me a look that I couldn’t decipher.

“What?”

“Nothing,” she replied. “Chen looked as if something was troubling him though. Mind asking him the reason?”

I sent her a stern glare.

Sooyoung raised her hands. “I’m being serious.” Then she looked at Chen. “Well, I think he’s leaving. You better grab this opportunity and talk to him.”

I turned back to look. Sure enough, he had stand up and was speaking to Chanyeol about something. Then he turned and left the dining hall.

Sooyoung winked at me.

 I rolled my eyes. However, I stood up and went after Chen, leaving my unfinished lunch behind.

I caught up with him in a deserted corridor. “Chen!” I called up to him.

Chen swirled around, surprised. His face relaxed into a smile when he realized it was only me. “Hey.”

“Hi.” I replied. Both of us lapsed into silence. I didn’t know what to say as I felt awkward. What shall I say?

It was Chen who broke the silence. “Is there anything you want to talk to me about?”

I looked up in surprise. How did he know I was about to ask him something? “Uh… I don’t know why I am saying this, but…” I trailed off, lost of words.

“But?” Chen raised an eyebrow. He leaned against the wall and sent me a curious look. “Is it because of you haven’t patch things up with Eunji? You didn’t sit with her just now,” he pointed out.

My face flushed red. “Well, it’s true that I hadn’t patch things up with her, but that’s not what I want to talk to you about.” I said.

“It isn’t?” Chen looked perplexed for a moment.

“You didn’t eat your lunch just now.” I said quickly. “I’m wondering if something had happened.”

Chen was taken aback, but he covered it with a smile. “I never thought that you would notice that.”

“You’re my friend; of course I’ll notice that,” I retorted.

Chen went silent. “Thanks for your concern,” he finally muttered.

“Tell me what’s bothering you,” I said, and earned a curious look from Chen. I spread out my palms. “Well, I told you my problems last time, so it’s your turn now.”

“It’s probably nothing,” Chen said, giving a sigh. He tapped his right foot on the ground. “I think I’m just being paranoid.”

Frustrated, I flicked him on the forehead. “Well, if you think you’re being paranoid, then don’t fret about it. It’s stupid.”

Chen winced and rubbed his forehead. “You like torturing me,” he sighed.

I smirked. “You finally noticed that.”

I expect him to lash back at me, but instead I was taken aback by his next action. He engulfed me in a quick hug. Before I could catch up with the sudden happening, he released me and ruffled my hair. “Thanks,” he said. A small smile played on his lips. “You made me feel better.”

“W-What?” I paused in the middle of smoothing out my messy hair, surprised.

“You heard me,” he replied, and started walking away. Then he looked back. “Ah, there’s something else.”

I cocked my head. “What?”

“Promise me that you will patch up with Eunji.”

“Why should I do that?” I frowned. Did Chen knock his head on something that affected his brain?

”Just promise that you will do that,” Chen said firmly.

I rolled my eyes. “Alright, I promise. Are you satisfied now?”

“I’m very satisfied,” Chen replied. His lips curled into a tiniest fraction of smile. “Thanks for everything.” And he walked away.

I stood rooted to the spot, confused, looking at Chen’s back view. “Err… You are… welcome?”

 

I bumped into Eunji when I was about to go home. We were about to brush pass each other when I halted in my steps and turned around. Thinking of my promise to Chen, I mustered up my courage and went after her.

“Eunji!”

Eunji turned around, surprised to see me and even more surprised to find me talking to her.

I twirled a strand of hair around my forefinger and forced myself to look into her eyes. “I… I’ve thought about it,” I said. “I shouldn’t say all those hurtful words to you and I shouldn’t be so selfish about you. I mean, you have the right to make friends but I think I’m going overboard…”

“Whoa, hold on!” Eunji exclaimed, her eyes wide as she paused me from blabbering on. She sighed. “Look, I’m sorry too. Half of it is my fault.”

“I should have apologized earlier,” I said. The guilt that was consuming me for days left me, and my heart feel light again. I smiled. “But everything’s over now. Do you want to celebrate?”

Eunji’s face fell. “I’d love to, but…” Her gaze went to Baekhyun. “You see, I’ve a date with Baekhyun. I’m really sorry. Maybe next time?”

I shook my head. “Nah, never mind. We can always celebrate on any other day; your date is much more important. It’s your first date, right?”

Eunji blushed. “Yes.”

“Well, I won’t keep you any longer then. Goodbye and good luck!” I patted her on the shoulder and watch her left with Baekhyun.

I was about to exit the school when I d my pocket to find my cellphone missing. My heart skipped a beat. Did I misplace it in my bag? I searched my bag thoroughly. Nothing. I panicked. If I had dropped it and someone found it, they would know that I had a big crush on Chanyeol, for there were lots and lots of pictures of Chanyeol in it. I drew in deep breaths and forced myself to calm down and crack my head, but to no avail. Finally, I decided it was best to go back to school and search for it.

The school seemed quite deserted as most of the students and school staffs had left. My footsteps echoed in the corridor. Black, ominous shadows of the trees outside stretched across the floor. I looked out of a window only to find the sky getting darker. I heart pounded hard in my ribcage, and I grew a bit afraid all of a sudden. What if something suddenly jump out at me at the corner?

I gulped. No, there were no ghosts. They don’t exist. When I finally convinced myself of that fact, I rounded that particular corner and sighed in relief when nothing happened. I looked around and found myself in a familiar corridor. I scrunched up my nose. Isn’t this the way to Astronomy class?

I didn’t mind to stop and consider; I rounded another corner and opened the first door on my right. I went forward without hesitation and nearly knocked over a model of the solar system on a table. Cursing under my breath, I placed the model back to its exact position before resuming to my seat. To be honest, I didn’t know what I was currently doing; I was just following my instincts. I lifted the lid of my desk and d about until my fingers closed around something solid. Retreating my hand, I realized that it was the very cellphone I had been hunting for. I must have left it in my desk. A satisfied grin crossed my face as I pocketed it.

I was about to exit the classroom when I heard sounds coming from the next classroom. My pulse accelerated, and curiosity got the best of me. I was careful to walk soundlessly to peep in through the gap in the door. How I wish that I had left in the first place, but the unfortunate thing was that I didn’t.

My eyes widened in shock. It was Chanyeol and Minah, the two person I least expected to meet at the moment. They were standing way too close to each other, much to my discomfort. It was a few seconds later when I realized what they were doing. They were making out right in front of me. I bit my lips when I saw Minah’s lips in contact with Chanyeol’s. How could she do that? I watched as Chanyeol stepped closer to her, closing in the distance between them, and his hands skimmed her arms as their kiss grew fiercer. I turned away and exhaled – I didn’t know since when I had been holding my breath. Tears streamed down my cheeks, and I wiped them away furiously. I didn’t know why I was crying but I wished it could stop. My tears seemed cheap lately and I hated it.

I could watch no longer and walked away soundlessly and quickly, my legs in a flurry of motion. I kept walking and didn’t stop. I didn’t know where I was going, but I’ll follow where my legs took me.

Finally, I stopped beneath a tree on a small hill. I could no longer hold my emotions in and and furious sob escaped me. Finally I broke down and cried.

Park Chanyeol… Isn’t he mine? What did Minah did to deserve him? I had a huge crush on him for two years straight – but Minah just won over him like that. I cried till the sky turned dark. By now the streetlights had been , and everything around me was quite pretty, but I was not in my state of my mind to admire the enchanting scene before me. My mind ventured back to the kiss, and my hands clenched together into two tight fists.

Song Minah, you are going to pay for this and for everything.


I'm actually planning to post this yesterday as it was my birthday but unfortunately I don't have the time.

School is killing me with tons of assignments everyday, and I 'm going crazy... It's-just-too-much! *yanks chunks of hair out*

Thus, I won't update this until the beginning of March, or if there are holidays.

Enjoy~~~