007

PSYCHO (ON HIATUS)

 My hands fell limp to my side and I let my cellphone clatter to the floor. I had never felt so devastated before. 


Nara

I gave a frustrated sigh as I wandered about my room, wondering when Eunji would give me a call. Unconsciously, my thoughts ventured back to the happenings of two hours ago.

As expected, my parents bombarded me with questions and gave me an hour long of ticking off when I gave them a lame excuse about photographing until I didn’t realize the pass of time. They would probably freak out if I told them that I spend almost the entire day with a boy. I nearly got myself grounded, but fortunately my father suggested that there was no wrong in photographing, and although my mother looked slightly disapproved, I got away with my lame excuse.

My gaze wandered to my camera which was on the corner of the table. Lately, I had not been following Chanyeol around to snap pictures of him. It was not that I did not have any spare time; instead, I was afraid that I might explode in jealousy if I did so. Chanyeol would surely spend his time with his beloved Minah, and I didn’t want to see them together.

I gave a heavy sigh. Why did Chanyeol choose Minah? Why didn’t he choose me instead? Except from the fact that she was quite pretty, what other merit did she have? I let these questions hung in the air, refusing to answer them. Luckily, my cellphone rang, saving me from all these preternatural thoughts.

 Without even looking at the caller ID, I picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Nara!” A bright voice greeted my ears. My eyes widened and I brought myself to look at the caller ID. It was Eunji.

“Uh… Hi, Eunji,” I said.

“So, can you tell me what was going on between you and Chen?” Eunji’s voice was bursting with excitement.

“I told you, there’s nothing between us,” I rolled my eyes and replied.

“Impossible!” Eunji replied immediately. “Have the both of you been dating? How long has it been?”

“No!” I facepalmed. Eunji was always the one who was always excited and liked to draw a conclusion without really investigating in the first place. “How did you ever think of that? We, are, not, dating,” I stated.

“If both of you are not dating, then how come you and he were spending the afternoon in the amusement park? Alone?”

“Eunji!” I said, exasperated. “How many times did you want me to tell you? I’m being truthful here; we are really, really not dating.”

“Oh,” Eunji’s voice went small with disappointment. I guess that reality had finally dawned on her, and that was actually quite good. I didn’t want to listen to Eunji’s chatter about me dating Chen. It was just not possible. Chen wouldn’t like me anyways.

“That’s a pity,” Eunji finally said after a moment or two of silence. “You and Chen would make a good couple.”

“No, we won’t,” I disagreed, and asked her the question that had been weighing on my mind, “Now, it’s my turn to ask. Can you tell me what’s between you and Minah?”

“We are not dating!” Eunji exclaimed over the phone.

“Haha,” I said dryly, “of course both of you are not dating. Just tell me what’s going on; no hiding.”

“Alright,” Eunji sighed. “Minah and I are just trying to get to know each other. I mean, wouldn’t it be awkward if we sat together to each lunch, never exchanged a single word and act like strangers?” What she said was similar to what Chen had told me.

“But you could tell us to tag along too! Sooyoung and I would be glad to get to know her, ”I pointed out. “And besides, why are you keeping this so hush hush? When I invited you last week, you said that you have no t-“

“I was supposed to help my mother with her shop,” Eunji cut me off. “But she canceled it last minute. Coincidently Minah was at my shop, so she suggested to go to the amusement park.”

“You could inform us on the spot,” I argued. Annoyance was taking me over. “I’m sure we would turn up. So you just agreed with her and spend your afternoon with her? Without telling us?”

There was a pause on the other side, and I continued. “Well, I’m sure that you are quite happy to shrug us off and spend time with your Minah. I know I meant nothing more to you after you have a new friend.”

“Nara! What are you talking about?” Eunji’s voice wavered with shock.

“You know what I am talking about,” I said viciously. I didn’t know the reason behind me acting like this all of a sudden, but I was too frustrated to even care.

“Nara… Are you jealous?”

A single question. However, I flared up instantaneously. “Is that what you think? I am jealous?” I gave a laugh, but blatantly it was not a happy one. “Am I that vulgar in your opinion?”

“Nara, I… I don’t understand what you are trying to tell me. If you are jealous, you shouldn’t be. Minah isn’t as close to me as both of you. You must understand this.” Eunji sounded exhausted all of a sudden. Right, talking to me was exhausting, wasn’t it?

I just stayed silent.

“I… I’m giving you some time to think,” she said in a soft voice. “I’m sure you need that.”

Alright, just cut the call, leave me alone and spend your time with Minah, I wanted to say, but I didn’t. I couldn’t bring myself to. Eunji was my best friend.

A clicking sound was heard, and beeping sound filled my ears. My hands fell limp to my side and I let my cellphone clatter to the floor. I had never felt so devastated before. I seldom have a fight with Eunji; she was too good-natured. Our last fight was like two years ago. Was it my fault that caused this quarrel to happen? Was it my fault?

Tears filled my eyes. I hadn’t cry in ages. I buried my face in my pillow and started to sob.

I need some time to think, she said. Is that what I need? I rolled my face over and rested my left cheek on the pillow. I let my tears cascade down my cheeks to my jawline, until they finally dropped to the duvet and was absorbed. I let my thoughts ran wild.

Maybe it’s my fault after all. Maybe if I have been more tolerant, this wouldn’t happen in the first place. Maybe I shouldn’t get jealous over little things. Maybe I would just let her be friends with Minah.

Minah. My eyes narrowed at the mention of her name. That was the cause of all these happenings. All of this happened after Minah showed up. I clenched both of my hands into fists until my fingernails bit into my palm, leaving red, crescent shaped marks.

If only Minah didn’t exist in the first place…

Eunji

I had not exchanged a word with Nara ever since Saturday night. One of the reasons was because I wanted to give Nara some time to think; she was a really hard-headed person and when you want her to think about something or change her mind, it was going to take plentiful of time.

The second reason was I didn’t know how to face her. I knew she was jealous of Minah as I was spending time continuously with her these days. And she deserved to feel jealous – half of the fault was mine.

So here I was, eating lunch with Baekhyun and his gang and Minah, while Nara and Sooyoung ate at another table. I silently appreciated Sooyoung’s concern for Nara; it’s not that I didn’t want to spend time with them. Knowing Nara, she probably wouldn’t want me to be there. She needed Sooyoung more than I did, as I have Baekhyun at my side.

Today’s lunch was felt more silent and empty compared to the previous ones we had with Nara and Sooyoung. The others noticed this too, but they were keeping their mouth zipped up about it. They probably sensed something wrong and didn’t dare to ask. Baekhyun even sent me a wary glance when he spotted Nara and Sooyoung sitting at a different table. I just shrugged at him.

Everything was silent except for the slinking sound of utensils against the plates and the whispers of Minah and Chanyeol to each other. I smiled wryly. It seemed like they were made for each other.

I was lost in my thoughts when Baekhyun tapped me on my hand. Snapping out of my daze, I turned to him and sent him an apologetic look. Baekhyun just smiled. Putting our palms together, he intertwined our fingers.

I couldn’t help but to blush. Although it had been almost a week since we were together, Baekhyun could just make me blush easily.

He squeezed my hand and motioned for me to look at Chen. Now that he mentioned it, I noticed that Chen was quieter and seemed quite downhearted today. He didn’t even crack jokes as usual. I wonder what had gotten into him. I sent Baekhyun an inquiring look.

Baekhyun seemed thoughtful for a while, and seconds later his eyes brightened as if he had been struck with a wonderful idea. He smiled slyly and mouthed the words ’Nara’.

Surprised, I swirled around and observed Chen with Baekhyun. Sure enough, Chen’s gaze lingered to Nara from time to time. I turned back to Baekhyun, whose face currently held triumphant smile.

“I’ve never noticed that before,” I whispered in his ear as not to let Chen hear us. “I should have known that since Chen took her to the amusement park.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened in surprise as he stared at me. “He did?”

I slapped myself on the forehead. I had forgotten that Baekhyun didn’t know anything about it. Thus, I explained everything that I had seen, censoring the unnecessary parts.

Baekhyun kept silent for a minute or two after I finished explaining. Then he began to smirk. I gulped nervously. Whenever he smirks, it could only mean that he was up to no good.

 “What are you planning?” I inquired.

“Nothing,” Baekhyun said with that sly grin of his.

“I know you are,” I pressed him. “Spill it out. Who knows, I might help you.”

Baekhyun’s grin widened. “Are you sure? Okay, listen; we will help Chen and Nara to get together.”

“And how are we going to do that?”

“You’ll see,” Baekhyun replied.

We both grinned at each other. This was one of the reasons we were able to stick together. Like people said, birds of the same feather flock together.

“What are you guys whispering about? Your looks are suspicious.” Chanyeol’s voice boomed out all of a sudden. We looked up to see Chanyeol and Minah standing over us.

“Nothing,” Baekhyun and I chorused, putting on our best innocent faces. “Just nothing.”


I can say that I'm one of the worst authors ever. Sorry for not being to update for quite some time!

I was planning to update earlier today but I couldn't as I was dizzy and ended up sleeping for quite some time.

Anyway, I've to apologize for not being to update frequently as school is back in full swing and I'll be very, very busy. Thus, I'll be updating once a month (or more if I have the time)

I know that I've not writing well for this story; I don't know what had gotten into me. But I'll try my best to improve.

So, please comment & suscribe! ^^