The God himself

Beneath Old Skies

2

 

The skyscraper loomed up in front of them, tall and powerful. Jongin gulped. “Which floor was it again?”

“29.” Sehun answered, striding ahead of Jongin who was frozen to the pavement, looking up in awe. “Come on, . We’re already running late. God knows why you’re coming with me, anyway.” The last part wasn’t too quiet, but luckily Jongin was too distracted to hear.

Dragging his eyes away from the magnificent piece of architecture (he didn’t know much about buildings, but it was big, which meant it automatically gained cool points) he jogged after Sehun, flitting past the revolving doors and dashing into the elevator.

They were shown into a waiting room, and told that two representatives from Divide were on their way. Taking a seat in the spinny chair, Jongin span around and around, thinking that if he spun faster than his thoughts right now they might start making sense. Maybe reality would start making sense, because meeting Divide? It didn’t make sense. It couldn’t make sense. Sehun messed around with his camera and Jongin resisted the urge to yell at his best friend because hellooooo? Divide?

A few seconds later, Yixing pushed open the door and stepped inside the waiting room, Jongdae close on his heels. Jongin’s own heels dug into the ground to halt his spinning. His mouth dropped open.

Thank god for Sehun, the only sane one, who stood up, bowed, shook hands and managed to introduce them both in a perfectly neutral, if slightly monotone, voice. Jongin tuned out Sehun and focused in on Yixing’s beautiful dimpled cheek. Jongdae’s jaw looked sharp enough to slice through glass. It truly was incredible up close.

“Kyungsoo?” Jongin spoke aloud, completely interrupting a conversation between Sehun and Yixing.

They all turned to look at him. Divide are looking at me. Jongin thought. “Is Kyungsoo-ssi not coming?” Jongin said, trying not to be sick.

Jongdae smiled and Jongin thought he saw Sehun stiffen out of the corner of his eye. “Although Soo’s the frontman of the band, he’s very busy today. I hope we’re not too disappointing!” He grinned, breaking the awkwardness of the interruption. Jongin just stared dumbly at his beautiful face.

Sehun sighed, obviously well over his limit of idiot Jongin. “Shall we go?” he asked.

Yixing nodded eagerly. “Yes, let’s go down to the practice rooms and meet the others.” Jongdae nodded in agreement and held the door open for Sehun, who passed through quickly, and then Jongin, who still remained seated.

“Are you coming, Jongin-ssi?” Jongdae asked, laughing.

“S-sorry!” Jongin yelped, finally snapping out of his daze. “I’m just trying to take this all in.” He stepped towards Jongdae slowly, his hand slowly reaching out, fingers stretched, because if he could touch Jongdae’s face everything was going to be alright, he just knew it. He needed to touch that smooth, smooth skin…

A hand clamped down around his wrist. “Stop embarrassing me.” Sehun hissed. A slight flush tainted his cheeks. Keeping his killer hold on Jongin, Sehun turned and marched towards Yixing. Jongin swore he heard Jongdae chuckling behind him.

Yixing led them through a hallway. Jongin’s eyes stayed as wide as saucers, trying to take in all the details on the walls. There was Divide’s first Gold Record, more trophies, pictures, and plectrums in small glass cases. It was insane. Kyungsoo actually walked through this hallway. Maybe even daily. “Kyungsoo.” He said again, accidentally.

“Are you Kyungsoo’s fan?” Yixing asked, kindly. He stopped at a fork in the hallway and turned to look at Jongin, who nodded frantically. Sehun rolled his eyes. “If you’d like, we can go and see him now, for five minutes or so. He’s busy, but I’m sure he can make some time for you.”

Jongin’s jaw dropped again. “Are you serious?”

“Jongdae can take Sehun-ssi through to meet the boys, while I take you on a mini-tour to find Kyungsoo. How does it sound? You are going to be working with us, after all.” Yixing smiled. Jongin nodded, and then seemed to remember his best friend. Sehun looked sort of angry, but 'face' was his natural expression so Jongin wasn’t too worried. Plus, Jongdae was super-hot and Sehun should be goddamn ecstatic to spend some alone time with The Bassline God (so nicknamed by Jongin himself.)

Yixing clapped, finalising the decision. “Great! We’ll see you guys in a little while. Take care of Sehun-ssi, Jongdae.” As Yixing turned right, Jongin scampered after him, his heart pounding through his chest. He was going to see Kyungsoo. The Kyungsoo. The Do Kyungsoo. In real life, not just from the back of an arena.

After knocking on a few doors, Yixing swung his head around an open door and emerged with a smile on his face. “Soo,” he called, going in. He gestured for Jongin to follow him.

The room was small and the amount of sheet music spread around the room gave it the illusion of being a winter wonderland. Kyungsoo looked up from the sheets of paper decorating the floor. As their eyes met, Jongin’s mouth immediately dried up and he swore his heart stopped for a second. It physically hurt to breathe.

God, he was exquisite. His dark hair fell messily over his forehead and shone under the low lighting. His dark eyes held Jongin’s with an intensity not unlike a wild cat, causing Jongin’s heart to beat a mile a minute. Pretty heart shaped lips curved tantalisingly upwards into a half-smile. Or was that a…grimace?

“Soo,” Yixing said, drawing the singer’s attention. “This is Kim Jongin. He’s majoring in cultural connections and wants to interview us for part of his final project. He’s here with our new photographer, Oh Sehun.”

Yixing placed his hand gently on Jongin’s back with a reassuring smile. Jongin took a deep breath and blessed Kyungsoo with the best 90 degree bow of his life. “Kyungsoo-ssi, it’s a pleasure to-”

“The interview will have to wait.” Kyungsoo’s sharp voice was like a slap in the face. Jongin didn’t straighten, but peeked at Kyungsoo through his bangs, confusion washing through him. The singer stared back pointedly. “Unlike some people around this building,” he raised his eyebrows at Yixing, “I have actual work to do.”

“Soo.” Yixing’s voice was stern.

“Enough.” Kyungsoo held up a hand, silencing the guitarist. Jongin straightened up awkwardly and ran a hand through his hair. He felt sick to his stomach. “There’s just too much work, Yixing.” His voice was gentler now, more soothing. “It’s not official band business so it’ll have to wait.” Turning to Jongin, his voice was cold once more. “I’m sorry, kid. Maybe some other time.”

Jongin opened his mouth to say something – god knows what – and closed it again. He turned to Yixing, desperation in his eyes, but the guitarist was looking at Kyungsoo with a mix of sympathy and resignation, his lips pressed into a thin line. Finally, Yixing placed his hands on Jongin’s shoulders and steered him away from the practice room, away from Kyungsoo. In a state of shock, Jongin allowed himself to be led away.

 

 

“He’s a silver-tongued singer, but not so good at the talking part.” Yixing regained his composure and grinned sheepishly as soon as they were out of earshot. “I’m sorry about that.”

“But on stage, he seems so…” Jongin trailed off, a thousand images flashing behind his eyes. Kyungsoo laughing. Kyungsoo goading the crowd. Kyungsoo enjoying himself. He swallowed, trying to wet his dry mouth.

Yixing smiled, a little sadly. “It’s an act, Jongin. We’re all different when we’re on stage.” He paused, scratching the back of his neck. “I hope you’re not too disappointed. I’m sure he’ll be in a better mood later.”

Jongin was drawn to Kyungsoo because of his energy, his brightness. On stage he shone. His voice could change to tones and timbres that made Jongin feel unimportant and so, so, small, but in a good way. In a ‘the universe holds many great things – and Kyungsoo’s voice is one of them’ way. But if the entire stage persona is a lie, then who has Jongin been looking up to for all these years? A fake?

“I’m not too disappointed.” Jongin lied. He felt like his internal organs were being constricted to the point of exploding. “I do need to excuse myself for a minute though. Where is the bathroom?”

After being pointed in the right direction, Jongin walked off and locked himself in a cubicle for 20 minutes.