Beginnings

Beneath Old Skies

1

 

The crowd started screaming about a half-second after the venue lights dimmed. In amongst a sea of bodies, Jongin craned his neck to see above the crowd, his hands rising automatically to wave in the air, his own voice a roar caught in the storm.

On stage, five silhouettes.

Lights flashed out from separate points in the arena and suddenly there they were. Divided. Illuminated against a navy backdrop, each member stood with their instrument proudly as if it was a suit of armour. Grins spread across their faces as thousands of people screamed. Jongin’s eyes remained fixed ahead as the crowd started to elbow each other, itching to be closer to the band. On the stage, Jongdae brandished his plectrum and plucked four notes, pure and precise, and Jongin savoured the bass vibrations that travelled along the floor, through his feet, his body. The noise of the crowd elevated to something almost inhuman, a sound that signified the burning passion the world still had left to offer. Over the chaos, Kyungsoo's voice shouted out a greeting.

"London! It's good to see you! We're Divided! 1, 2, 3, 4...."
 

 

 

The cold air outside was a refreshing embrace, detaching Jongin’s damp fringe from his forehead. As masses of people left the venue, he remained against the wall catching his breath, determined not to get lost in the rush. The chorus of Divide’s newest song looped around his head as his body slowly cooled and relaxed. People walking past him chattered excitedly about how good Chanyeol looked with his new hair, and how beautiful Baekhyun's harmonies were. Jongin closed his eyes for a moment and revelled in the memory of Kyungsoo belting out Divide's encore song, his sweaty bangs plastered to his head. It had been so raw. Jongin's heart had fluttered wildly.

He waited against the wall until the crowd had thinned enough for him to gather his bearings, then started walking to where he had parked his car. His beaten up Mini Cooper seemed pleased to see him, so he jumped into the seat quickly and the AC. Pressing play on the CD, Jongin started the engine and relaxed as Kyungsoo's melodious voice washed over him.

 

 

 

The lights were still on when Jongin got home. Sehun was in the kitchen typing furiously on his laptop, his blonde hair a mess on top of his head, like he’d been running his hands through it multiple times. He looked up as Jongin walked in.

"Did you go to that concert?" Sehun asked.

"Of course I did," Jongin said, moving to the fridge to grab some water. He cracked open the lid and drained half of the bottle. "They played a few songs from their upcoming album. It was amazing." A grin. He threw the bottle at Sehun, who deftly caught it and placed it on the counter. "You should've come."

Sehun looked back down at his laptop. "I’m waiting for my assignment to be graded." He pressed a few keys, and then paused. "Going to see a Korean band in London doesn't make the city any less foreign, or any less daunting. Plus, you only go to give the singer googly eyes."

"I do not." Jongin said, looking only mildly affronted.

"Newsflash," Sehun said, moving to flick Jongin on the forehead. "Thousands of other people are also giving him the googlies. He's not going to notice one person from the stage. I bet the lights are reflecting off everything. I bet he can't see a thing."

Jongin scoffed. “I do not give him the googlies, whatever that means. I am a man of multitasking. I can appreciate the amazing music and the appeal.”

“Sure, sure.” A beeping noise came from Sehun’s laptop. “, my assignment grade is back.”

“What is it?” Jongin asked, moving to stand behind Sehun.

“I don’t know. I don’t want to open it.”

“It’s photography, Sehun. All you have to do is take pretty pictures. Just open it.”

Without bothering to dignify that ridiculous statement with a comeback, Sehun shielded the screen from Jongin’s greedy eyes and quickly scanned the email. He shut the laptop lid down immediately afterwards.

“So? What did you get?” Jongin looked at Sehun expectantly. 

Sehun’s eyes glazed over. “I got top marks.”

Jongin patted him on the back. “Nice. I told you so.”

Jongin hadn’t actually told him anything. “There’s more.” Jongin’s questioning gaze burned into the back of Sehun’s head. “I won a work experience place. To take professional pictures for a band. If I do well, they’ll hire me after university.”

Sehun’s voice was emotionless, so Jongin prodded him. “That sounds great. What’s the catch?”

A deep breath in. “It’s for your stupid ing boyfriend’s band. Divided.”