Insight

Beneath Old Skies

3

 

A few years ago, Sehun had broken Jongin’s music box. It had been a childhood present from an aunt, back when he first started ballet, and the tune it played had helped calm him down when the stress of life became too much. It had seemed so sturdy and strong in his small hands. One drunken party later, Sehun accidentally knocked it from Jongin’s desk and it had smashed upon impact with the floor. He’d realised, then, that maybe he’d believed it to be stronger because he’d always held it softly.

When you wrap something in cotton, you change its shape. Jongin’s image of Kyungsoo had been warped. He didn’t know Kyungsoo, not really, only knew the highs and lows of his voice, his lilting piano melodies and the abstract performances he delivered to thousands. So, really, there was no reason for him to be quietly crying in a cubicle less than an hour after meeting the one man he’d idolised for most of his life. Still, feelings seem to power on through no matter what logic is thrown their way. Jongin was still disappointed.  

Jongin finally meandered his way back to Yixing. The guitarist flashed a short, tight smile and asked if he was alright. “It’s just my hay fever.” Jongin said. Yixing nodded. "Let's go find the others." 

They found Jongdae and Sehun in a small practice room, sitting in silence. Sehun was fiddling with his camera again. 

"Yo, ." Jongin said, walking into the room and clapping Sehun on the back. Sehun jumped, almost dropping his camera. Jongdae pressed his hand to his mouth, stifling a smile.

"Watch it!" Sehun exclaimed. He cradled the camera close to his chest. "If you break this, my entire job is over." He turned around to glare at Jongin and own him with a snarky retort, but stopped himself when he noticed the red tinge to Jongin's eyes. "What's wrong with your eyes?"

"Where are Baekhyun-ssi and Chanyeol-ssi?" Jongin asked, choosing to ignore Sehun. 

"Buying takeout, apparently." Jongdae replied. Yixing tutted and whipped a phone out of his pocket. His phone bleeped as he typed out a message. Jongdae looked up absently. "You'll get frown lines, hyung. Don't hassle them. They'll be back soon."

With a sigh, Yixing settled himself on the floor next to the drumkit. "I apologise, Sehun-sshi, Jongin-ssi. It would be easier to explain your future roles here in our company with all of the band members present." With a shrug, he continued. "That seems to be... impossible. With our new album on the way, things are hectic around here at the moment. Positions within the company are shifting and, as a result, staff are being cut. With your talent, Sehun-ssi, we're hoping you can help produce some killer teasers."

"Of course. I'd love to help you out." 

Yixing had phrased his question as a statement, but he still sighed in relief at Sehun's confirmation. "Thank-you." 

Jongdae tapped a beat out onto the floor. "Jongin-ssi, your project might have to wait until our album is sorted. Is that alright, or are you on a time limit?"

Jongin hummed. "Nah, it's cool. I have ages."

"Still." Yixing frowned. "I feel like today has been a flop. Mainly due to our wayward members - again, I apologise. Perhaps tomorrow at the same time would be more convenient to start our plans?" He asked tentatively, with eyes on Jongin, as if he might refuse.

"That sounds good." Sehun replied. Jongin nodded in agreement, refusing to look into Yixing's eyes for too long. 

 

 

 

 

"What happened today?" Sehun asked. They were sat at the kitchen table, munching on pizza. 

"What do you mean?"

Sehun raised an eyebrow at Jongin's pathetic attempt to dodge his question. "This morning you were all starry eyed like a kid on Christmas, but after you and Yixing went off to see your boyfriend, you didn't seem as excited. I mean," Sehun stopped to gauge Jongin's reaction. "these guys have been your idols since forever. But it's like you forgot, or it didn't matter." 

Jongin wiped his mouth with a napkin. "They're just normal guys, right? They aren't superheroes. Just some guys who play music. Really good music." His voice was calm. 

"Were you crying?"

"Hay fever." Jongin's voice was hard. When he looked up, Sehun was looking at him as if to say, 'yeah right, .' So, yeah, he gave in. "Kyungsoo just wasn't who I was expecting. I mean, we didn't even have a conversation, but... he was just really rude."

Sehun's expression changed to relief. "Well, guys in bands are usually s." He reached over to ruffle Jongin's hair. "Don't let it get you down!" In a more serious tone,  he added, "seriously, don't let it get you down. I work for them now. It'd be weird."

Jongin cracked a smile. "The novelty has worn off, so you have nothing to worry about." He crinkled his nose. "Kyungsoo called me 'kid' anyway. I won't be getting starry eyed over him anytime soon." Sehun's hands clapped together in finality, but Jongin bit his lip. "Do you think working with them would get me discount tickets, though?"

"What?" Sehun's mouth fell open in disbelief. "You literally just admitted the singer was a douche. At what point of that sudden realisation did you think, 'I smell a bargain'?"

"Their new album is coming out soon! I need to be at the concert to see their improvements."

"You're not their manager," Sehun countered.

"I'm going to support... Jongdae, alright?" Jongin huffed. "He seems cool."

Sehun's jaw dropped. "That princy image was never your type. Your career as a liar is officially over."

Jongin grabbed a slice of pizza and shoved it in Sehun's mouth. "Shut up."

"Your a masochist," Sehun mumbled through the food. It sounded more like "Or a mabokish." Jongin just nodded sadly in agreement.