I Will Tame You

Beneath Old Skies

5

 

No matter how beautiful the moment, no matter how deeply Jongin had been feeling the music, the atmosphere was broken as soon as Kyungsoo stepped outside of the recording room. The singer brushed off the slight applause from his band members and sought out Jongin’s gaze, trying to gage his reaction to the song through his eyes.  

Dark eyes met his. Jongin’s heart stuttered as Kyungsoo seemed to peer into his soul. After a few seconds, Jongin flushed red and dropped his gaze, staring at his shoes instead. Kyungsoo’s brow furrowed for an instant, but his expression was neutral by the time Jongin looked up again.

“Kyungsoo-ssi,” Jongin started, his voice coming out stronger than he felt. “That was amazing.” Someone clapped him on the back, probably Chanyeol, and he smiled at Kyungsoo with newfound confidence. “Thank you so much.”

“It’s nothing.” The singer’s reply left the air feeling colder. “Now that you’ve been thoroughly entertained, I have somewhere to be.” With a mock bow, Kyungsoo left the group in the corridor so quickly that it was hard to believe he had been there at all.

Chanyeol’s mouth dropped open. “Little harsh,” Baekhyun said, air leaving his mouth in a little huff.

Jongin’s shoulders sagged as disappointment hit him like one of Chanyeol’s thrown drumsticks. He didn’t know what he’d expected. Jongin was a dog person and with Kyungsoo spitting at him like a feral cat, he was totally out of his depth.

 “He’ll come around eventually.” Yixing voiced. He sounded determined.

“Gimme a sec,” Jongin muttered, his feet seeming to move before his brain issued the command, taking him in the direction that Kyungsoo had disappeared in. Someone yelled his name, probably Sehun, but he ignored him, setting off at a run down the corridor. After turning a few corners, he saw the back of Kyungsoo, and slowed down slightly.

“Kyungsoo-ssi!” he called. The man in question turned around, a look of confusion gracing his handsome face. “Wait a second!” Slowing to a jog, he stopped about a meter away from Kyungsoo, barely out of breath.

“Jongin-ssi, was it? What do you want?” Kyungsoo asked. He sounded more curious than angry. Kyungsoo seemed to realise this too, and furrowed his brows in compensation.

“I just – I wanted to talk to you alone for a second.” I want to see what you’re like without company, Jongin thought.

Kyungsoo pulled up the sleeve of his jumper and tapped his watch. “Shoot.” Jongin hadn’t actually expected Kyungsoo to agree, so now he was lost for words. The singer raised an eyebrow as Jongin fiddled with the hem of his shirt. “You’re probably confused, right? About my personality.” He waited patiently for Jongin to argue. He didn’t. “This is who I am off stage. I can’t change that.” He spoke with eyes of steel, goading Jongin to walk away. He expected him to. “I can keep up my stage persona for five minutes, maybe ten, after the show has finished. No longer. If I pretended to be all sunshine and smiles, surely you’d be the one disappointed in the end. This is easier for everyone.” Kyungsoo crossed his arms across his chest in finality. Jongin’s mouth stayed shut and Kyungsoo turned to leave.

“Wait!” Jongin said, gripping Kyungsoo’s elbow. The singer turned around slowly. Jongin’s brain had finally caught up to him. “I like you.” The words rushed out. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. “I don’t care if you’re moody or angry. When you sing, I feel like I’m at a confessional,” Jongin admitted, his fringe flopping as he ducked his head in embarrassment. “You’re different from what I expected, but different isn’t a bad thing. Even if your stage persona shines, to me right now you’re so bright it hurts to be near you.” He whispered the last part.

As silence stretched on, Jongin squeezed his eyes shut, his stomach twisting uncomfortably. What had he been thinking? Way to come off as creepy, Kyungsoo must think he’s such an idiot and –

“Thank you.” The quiet murmur sent a jolt of electricity through Jongin’s body. He lifted his head, unable to believe his ears. Kyungsoo shuffled slightly, the action moving him closer to Jongin. “Thank… you,” he repeated. His breath ghosted across Jongin’s cheek from their close proximity.

“I was just being honest.” Jongin whispered, trying to keep this moment soft and close. Kyungsoo half smiled. He brought his hand up, lightly brushing his fingertips across Jongin’s cheek.

“I don’t know how you do it.” He tapped absentmindedly on Jongin’s cheekbone. “Stupid kid.” He whispered the words with softness so unexpected and Jongin melted into the small touch. There was something fond in the way Kyungsoo had said it, something akin to awe on his face, and God Jongin’s heart was banging like a drum, he was going to collapse, he was leaning closer, and –

 “Kyungsoo!” His manager’s voice barrelled its way into their moment, shattering the mirage. Kyungsoo leapt apart from Jongin like he’d been stung, his eyes flashing back to their default coldness. As the singer turned away, walking briskly down the hallway, Jongin placed his hand where Kyungsoo’s had been and felt the warmth slowly drain.  

But. That small moment ignited a small spark inside Jongin’s chest: a flicker of hope. Kyungsoo had dropped his guard, had tucked away his claws for a moment. It had been so short that he cupped his cheek with more force, forcing himself to remember every detail. How Kyungsoo had seemed surprised at Jongin's comment. How his eyes had flickered around before resting on Jongin. How his fingers had grazed his cheek… From wild to subdued by a few words. Jongin straightened up, motivation shooting through every cell of his body. There was no way that someone who could look at him so kindly could be so cold the next minute.

He was going to find out the real Kyungsoo.

No matter what he had to do and no matter how long it took, he was going to tame him.

 


A/N: Thank you for sticking with me so far!!! Thank you for subbing and commenting, I'm super grateful!!! 
The reason why the udpates are coming so fast is because I'm on half term and procrastinating like a pro. I will still update, but less quickly, once Monday comes around. Also I hope you all had an ace Halloween! xxxxx P.S. have fun imagining Kyungsoo as a super moody kitten