Pep Rally

Forbidden Love

"Our first pep rally as seniors!"Sungmin exclaimed while we stood in the senior section of the gym, waiting for everyone else to get there and get situated so it could begin. The cheerleaders were in front of us, half-heartedly doing their cheer routines. I nodded, my arms crossed over my chest as I watched him jittering with excitement once again.

"I wonder how you're going to be at the big events, Sungmin. Like…your wedding or the birth of your baby."

Sunny rolled her eyes. "He'll probably pass out."

Krystal chipped in with, "That'd be totally embarrassing if you did that. I really hope you don't. I think I heard about a guy who actually did that one time."

"No," he looked as though he was scrambling for something to say but then realization crossed his face and he took a step to Sunny, sliding his arms around her waist. "I'll have you to steady me during those times." She looked into his eyes for a moment, seemingly flattered but then she scrunched her face up, looking at him with sarcasm. "Do you guys have like, a group? Where you discuss and agree on cheesy things to say at the appropriate moments?" I could tell that she wasn't being mean, just funny and teasing him.

Apparently he caught on too and with a smirk, answered her. "Actually, yes. We get together every Wednesday and then play starcraft afterwards." She paused for a moment and I could see a smile tugging at her lips. "Keep on going. It's working," she smiled and then leaned up and kissed him.

Krystal looked on, completely envious. She was probably picturing when Suho would someday declare his love for her. Gross.

I looked around the gym, since I was feeling like a creeper watching them kiss and saw Mr. Jung, our old Chemistry teacher glaring at Sungmin and Sunny, starting to walk over. Everyone had this idea that he hasn't gotten laid in like, thirty years and that's why he's such a to us because obviously, we're getting some all the time.

"Sunny! Sungmin!" I urgently called them and they pulled apart, still in their lovey-dovey world where everything is perfect. I nodded towards Mr. Jung, raising my eyebrows and then they discreetly disentangled themselves from one another but still loosely held hands.

Suho pushed through the crowd, completing our circle and mumbled about how his teacher was a and wouldn't let his class go.

"Yeah, she is a . I like, had her last year and absolutely hated her," Krystal agreed which was a total lie. Krystal loved her. I remembered her talking about how awesome her class was. Well, since Suho hated her, now Krystal did as well.

Our principal shuffled forward, a couple papers in his hand and looked around at us all before he said in a very loud voice, "Let's give it up for another year!" Everyone cheered and screamed, especially in the senior section while I clapped. "Alright, we got an announcement first. We have a new faculty member with us this year. She's in the language department and we're so happy that she's with us," he turned, looking for Ms. Hwang.

Oh no. I felt awful for her. She clearly said that she did not want this to happen. I scanned the gym and found her talking with the soccer coach, leaning against the wall. Our principal said her name and her head jerked towards him, a look of confusion and then fear came across her face. I couldn't help but giggle at this disaster waiting to happen. She bit her lip, coming forward. She looked vulnerable and cute at the same time.

"Let's give her a great big welcome!" Our principal finished, moving his hand towards her, showcasing. She looked incredibly nervous and just smiled tightly and waved to every grade. She looked happy and vibrant but I could tell she secretly hated all this attention, especially all of the inappropriate whistles from the boys. When she got to our section, she somehow found me in the mass of bodies within seconds and very quickly, when seeing my mocking smirk, pointed at me, raised her eyebrows and shook her head, as if saying, I'm going to get you for that later.

"We got a game against Kyunggi High tonight!" He continued as Ms. Hwang walked away to the soccer coach again and once he said our rival school's name, Boo's erupted from everyone in the gym to which he smiled at. "Are we going to beat 'em?!" Even the outburst from my fellow seniors scared me when they screamed, "Yeah!"

"Let's get our football team out then, huh?" As he read the names from the list, each player came out of the locker room, decked out their pants and jerseys. Certain names got huge outbursts and some didn't get anything. Finally, my boyfriend came out, his shaggy hair slightly sweaty and hanging down past his eyes. He was smiling, vibrant and excited about tonight. His eyes were scanning the crowd as he walked across the gym to where they would sit but couldn't seem to find me. Giving up, he just looked at the super fans, pumped his helmet into the air twice and smiled brightly. Finally after a couple of short speeches from the football players about how we were going to win, the band started playing some songs and we all left, vibrating with excitement. 

Suho nudged my arm. "Are you going to go—"

"Yes!" Krystal popped up, holding onto my other arm.

"She has to go. She promised us that she would go to every single game this year." She smiled triumphantly at me after this statement to which I gave her a scowl. I think even if I hadn't agreed to their stupid idea, I would've had to have gone anyway because of Jonghyun.

"When does it start?" I muttered, giving in. "Tailgate is at six and the game starts at seven," Sungmin answered, still holding Sunny's hand.

"I didn't agree to go to any tailgate. So I will see you guys at seven, k?"

"Wear your senior shirt!" Sunny shouted before I slipped out the back and headed for my car.

About three hundred students were squished—shoulder to shoulder—on the bleachers, all wearing one color and all speaking entirely too loudly. So far, I already knew that Seulgi and Chen were talking about how she cheated on him with some dude named Sehun and how he doesn't trust her anymore.

In the nerd group, off to the side, Xiumin was telling his friends that football wasn't that hard at all. He was explaining some formula about how if you turn your wrist a certain number of degrees while throwing it at a certain speed, it will find its desired target. By now, I was getting a headache listening to him. Xiumin is the only person I know that could make football sound unbelievably difficult and confusing.

As of right now, I was on the second row with Sunny to my right and Suho to my left. I was slightly worried about Jonghyun looking up and seeing Suho and I in such close proximity. He wouldn't be scared to drop his helmet, climb over the fence and tell Suho to "Back the off my girlfriend, punk !" without any disregard for the little children seated with their parents on the other side of the bleachers.

As the cheerleaders did some routine that no one was paying any attention to, I looked around at the people coming in and climbing up the bleachers. I saw our principal, already looking somewhat intoxicated. He obnoxiously slapped some kid's back and said loudly, "Have a good time, son!"

Our principal was known for drinking on the job. Every once and a while, he would come on the announcements and say, "Good morning, sports fans! Uh…let's have a good day, ya hear?" slurring every word together. The teacher I usually have that period, Ms. Kim, lowers her head in shame and embarrassment every time. Whenever that happens, a couple friends and I bet what drink he was chugging that day. I always go with Soju.

Something surprised me, though. I saw a girl carrying a familiar looking expensive purse in the small crowd below. Ms. Hwang? I thought for sure she wasn't going to come since she doesn't even understand it. As she ascended the bleachers, however, my suspicions were confirmed and it was, indeed her.

There was some guy with her, though. He looked tall and slim. He had light brown, short hair and had an almost teasing hidden grin placed on his lips. She and him talked animatedly and looked as if they were joking around, like they had been doing this for years. Who was he? Her boyfriend? They sure as hell looked comfortable with one another.

Ms. Hwang's eyes pointed at our section while her date's eyes widened and he nodded. Her eyes scanned and met mine where she smiled softly and waved. I froze up. Did I just look like a stalker? I raised my hand as best I could in the tight, cramped space and waved awkwardly. Ugh. I probably looked like such a creeper, watching them since they walked in. I quickly tore my gaze away from them and folded my arms across my chest, watching the cheerleaders set up a large paper banner near the end of the football field. Our football team poured out of the locker room and ran to the goal, behind the banner while the cheerleaders fumbled to set it up. I could barely make out Jonghyun in the mass of bodies.

"We have to go down there!" Krystal said quickly, next to Suho. The super fans of the group raced down towards the cheerleaders and stood at the ends of the banner, cheering.

"Sure, what the hell. Let's go," I said. A group of students, along with my friends ran to where the super fans were. God, this field was huge. I suddenly felt self-conscious since I was facing our side and not our enemy's side. Was Ms. Hwang watching? I wonder if I looked like a dumb in her eyes.

"Taeyeon!" I turned to see Jonghyun with his helmet on, black war paint below his eyes. He smiled and left his group to come up and hug me, lifting me off the ground. He smelled awful but I still hugged him back as best I could.

"I'm so happy you came," he said as he set me down on the ground, his hands still on my waist. I thought it was best to leave out that I was pretty much forced to come.

"Yeah, well. I wanted to support you, babe." His smile grew if that was possible. His eyes darted to the sidelines before he removed his helmet—his hair was shaved down to a buzz now—and leaned down, kissing me. I was stunned for a moment from the sudden movement but kissed him back briefly.

"Sorry," he mumbled as he ran his hand over his very short hair. "I just had to. Thank God Coach wasn't out here or my would be on the line." So that's what he was doing when he looked over. "Your hair is gone."

"Yeah. Me and the guys got together after school and did it. I know you like my hair long but I had to do it."

"I know," I said quietly as I looked up at him. "Just kick some tonight, k?"

"I'm really nervous. Scared less, actually." My hand was on his chest as he held onto me. I knew he was. I could feel his heart racing. "What do I get if I win?" He suggestively raised his eyebrows, joking around. I started giggling and nodded.

"Yes. If you win." He smiled and kissed me quickly one more time and then put his helmet back on and left me to go back to his teammates. We actually were doing pretty damn well. We were up nine to zero. Our defense was really ing good this year. Jonghyun had gotten sacked once, but other than that, he was doing really well. I guess my proposal helped his spirits up. Halftime came and everyone sat down, awkwardly hitting the person closest to them and apologizing. Football actually wasn't that bad. I kind of wish that I had gone to earlier games during my three years here instead of waiting.

"Are you guys thirsty?" I asked, my voice sounding completely alien to me after all the screaming.

"Oh my god yes," Krystal said and stood, digging into her pockets. "If I give you money, could you get me a drink, Taeyeon?" 

"Me too?" Sunny asked, next to Sungmin. Um, shouldn't that be the boyfriend's job?

"Yeah, me too, please." Sungmin followed after her. What a lazy .

"Yeah, sure. Give me the money," I muttered. As they reached for their money, Suho offered to go with me, resulting in me receiving a very menacing glare from Krystal, warning me. I declined politely and struggled down the bleachers, making sure to watch my feet.

On the level ground, I thought I was fine until Siwon, who had all of his gear off and was just wearing jeans and a white t-shirt, stumbled into me and mumbled an apology quickly, his face anxious and fretful before striding past me. I turned to watch him run to his mother, who I had to help out a year ago for her bakery, and look at her pleadingly before running his hands through his hair slowly, stopping at the base and suddenly punched the gate next to her which was the barrier to the field. He was probably whining about the fact that he couldn't play in the game. The line was long as hell, of course.

I sighed, folding my arms across my chest and waited patiently as I watched the cheerleaders dance to the band's song. I got bored of that very quickly and counted my money again to make sure I had enough. What the hell? Where did that dollar go? I looked around my feet to no avail and then realized that I must've dropped it when Siwon ran into me. Motherer.

I turned to the person behind me, looking at my money. "Excuse me. Do you have a dollar I could maybe borrow?"

"Hey, Taeyeon." A perfect voice responded. My face began to burn with that familiar blush. I looked up to meet Ms. Hwang's chocolate brown eyes.

"Heyyy," I replied stupidly.

"I think I do. Hold on." She reached into her purse that was hanging off her shoulder and pulled out a black wallet with some label on the fold. She pulled out a crisp dollar and held it out. "Here ya go." I reached for it, accidentally brushing against her fingers in the process. That damn familiar tingle danced across my fingertips.

"I thought you said you weren't going to come." She shrugged and pointed to her date. "Once I mentioned that there was a football game tonight, Henry all but dragged me here." So he's her boyfriend? I felt my body tense as I looked at him playing on his cell phone in his leisurely position. He should be down here, keeping her company like a good date should.

"I kind of have to be here too, actually." I said.

"Oh yeah. Your boyfriend," she said. I detected something in her tone but couldn't make out what it was. I was also surprised that she even remembered that tiny bit of information. "I was watching earlier before they ran through that banner. He looks really cute, Taeyeon." She paused. "Oh god. I just sounded like a cougar, didn't I?" She started laughing, as did I but somewhat hesitantly because I was still fidgeting over the fact that she was watching me kiss him.

"Come on, unless you're like, thirty you can't be considered a cougar just yet."

"Thank god. I want to be twenty-four forever."

"You're twenty-four?"

"Why? Do I look twenty-five?" I laughed a little and she smiled, glancing down at mine. She nodded to the space behind me and I noticed that the line had moved. I stepped backwards, keeping my attention completely on her. "No. It's just, with all the schooling and stuff it takes to become a teacher, I thought for sure that you'd be at least twenty-eight."

"Oh no. I skipped a couple grades when I was younger. And I graduated high school early with college credits."

My eyebrows rose. "Wow. I wish I was smart like that."

"Yeah, about that, Taeyeon. I meant to talk to you earlier in class today but I had never got around to it. I noticed that you're having some trouble with the homework I assigned. You know, if you want, I could tutor you. It'd be no problem at all, honey." Again, she nodded behind me after she said this and I took a step back only to meet a wooden wall. Oh. I turned and saw a guy behind the counter with a perplexed look on his face.

"Uh, can I get four waters?" I hurriedly said. He nodded and stepped away from the counter.

"By the way, I saw you laughing at me during the pep rally, missy."

I looked over my shoulder and chuckled. "You looked terrified. How could I not laugh?" 

"You just wait. I'll get you back," she teased.

"Here ya go. Four waters, ma'am." The man's deep voice startled me compared to Ms. Hwang's velvety, soft one and I admit; I jumped a little. As I handed him the money, I heard her soft giggle in the background. "Thank you," I said to him quietly and then stepped off to the side, putting my change in my back pocket.

"Can I get two waters, some nachos, popcorn and a hot dog?" Damn. Her date can eat. I hope that's his money paying and sure as hell not hers.

"Anyway, thanks again for the money, Ms. Hwang. I'll pay you back tomorrow," I said and started to turn but she said my name and made me stop. "Yeah?"

"Between you and me, it's Tiffany, k?" She winked playfully and all I could think about is how she should be a Victoria's Secret model with that damn wink. "Just don't say that during class, otherwise your classmates will murder me."

I nodded meekly. "A-alright. See ya later…Tiffany." It felt weird but somehow right on my tongue I noted as I walked back to the bleachers.

 


 

"Seniors 2014!" Jonghyun said at the front of his living room, standing on top of his couch with his beer raised high in the air. Everyone at the party screamed and took huge gulps of their alcohol, including Xiumin. I don't know how he got into this party but some way or another, he did. He struggled and coughed, holding onto his stomach and his tiny body shook. "Whoo!" He said afterwards, his head darting up and his large glasses suffering his sudden movement. They flew across the room and hit a shot glass on the coffee table. He moved hesitantly towards the table, his hands outstretched and sheepishly put them back on, looking around the room carefully. Once he realized no one saw what he did and failed to notice that I was watching, his whole demeanor changed as he jumped into a group of girls and started wildly gyrating in the air. I couldn't stop the laugh that erupted.

"What's so funny?" Jonghyun breathed into my ear as he slid his arms around my waist. I could hear the happiness in his voice shining through. We had won the game seventeen to ten and despite the security guards attempts, the entire student body had climbed over the fence and rushed onto the field to celebrate with our team.

I turned, slipping my arms around his neck and felt nostalgia when I couldn't grasp his long hair. "Nothing. Don't worry about it," I whispered. I looked at his brown eyes, centimeters away.

"I have something to tell you," he whispered back. Even with all the rush of commotion and craziness going on around us, we were whispering like it was completely silent and didn't want to break this moment between the both of us. Suddenly, my heart twisted. I really hoped it wasn't what I thought it was.

"Yeah?" I nuzzled my nose against his and gave him a quick peck. His hands tightened and bunched up the rim of my shirt.

Don't tell me you love me. Please don't. My breath caught, seeing him take in a deep breath.

"I…" Oh god. "…think you should take a shower. You smell awful, baby." My brow furrowed and I pulled back to take in his entire expression. It was amused but still had a glow of happiness from our victory. I let go of him and stepped back. "You smell bad too."

"It's settled then. Let's take a shower together." He said, his eyes smothering towards me and he reached his hands forward to grasp for me again. "Later. You have way too many people here right now."

"I'll hold you to that." A crash sounded from the kitchen and he rolled his eyes and gritted his teeth before he placed a kiss on my forehead and muttered something and left me alone. I heard him yell something at some poor person and assumed that whoever it was was going to sourly regret coming to this party. I sighed, placing my beer against my forehead to attempt to soothe my headache. This was going to be a long night.

 


 

 

A/N: Comments and votes are very much appreciated!