4. Runaway #1

Runaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

 

chapter four; runaway #1.   do what you like it's your world i wanna live in and i'm loving this feeling   this won't be my last chance so i'mma do whatever to get you out of here so i'ma be smooth and clever let me get in your comfort zone      

"What did I ever do to deserve this?"

Seulgi stared at her reflection in the mirror with a scowl as Joy stood by her side, animatedly making cute faces. They were getting ready to go to SM's Halloween party, and Seulgi was told about their matching Pooh Bear costumes in the very last minute.

The worst thing was that she had her aunt's birthday dinner at a fancy hotel in the very same night. Her mother had booked a room and left her outfit in there, and since the goddamn costume was an only piece of clothing, that basically meant she would be stuck with Pooh until she got to the hotel. As she tried to not picture the embarrassment she would be facing later, she couldn't help but feel like killing whoever had the brilliant idea to make a Halloween party in November. Who cares about traditions.

"Don't be like that, Seulgi! You look so cute!" Irene pinched Seulgi's cheeks in a failed attempt to make her smile. "It's not like you have to stay for long, just in time to take a few pictures and then the manager said you're free to go."

"It's not that I'm eager to go to my aunt's birthday, but still, it's not like one less Pooh would make a difference." She tried to humor herself which only made Wendy snort.

"Please, Seulgi. You're considered the face of the group, of course it would make a difference if we don't have your pretty head around." Wendy stomped away in a hush as the three girls stood still in an uncomfortable silence.

"What's wrong with her?" Joy quietly asked. Wendy had been acting strange for a while, but Seulgi could only guess it was due their tiresome routine. She hoped that Wendy's mood swings would go away soon.

"Probably just tired..." Irene said as she finished braiding her hair. "Alright, are we all set?"

A loud choir of "yes" came from Seulgi and Joy, the happy squeal obviously coming from the latter.

 

 

After a calculated time of taking pictures, greeting seniors, congratulating Boa for her birthday and awkwardly trying to not look as if she had anywhere else to be, Seulgi was finally free to go.

After a quick farewell, she ran as fast as she could while wearing the costume towards the taxi, which was already waiting for her in front of the company's building. Fortunately, the driver did not question her wardrobe choice and only drove off to the hotel.

When she got there, she could already spot her aunt in a sparkly long black dress from afar. She seemed to be tormenting the staff with something while walking around as if she owned the place.

Seulgi quickly paid the taxi driver and made her way towards the hotel lobby, receiving stares all along the way.

"Auntie? Happy Birth-"

"Oh my, Seulgi! What in the heavens are you wearing? Were you working at a children's party?" Her aunt did not even try to hide the horrific expression in her face while looking up and down at Seulgi.

"Sort of..." Seulgi had not seen her family in a while, making her completely forget about her aunt's narcissistic habits, which included tons of plastic surgery and a pretentious self-esteem. She couldn't spot a single wrinkle on that fifty years old face. Holy Botox!

"I hope you have an extra pair of clothes." Her aunt humorlessly half laughed, as if she wasn't sure if Seulgi was going to change out of the costume or not.

Seulgi almost rolled her eyes and made a sarcastic remark, but decided against it as people around the lobby were staring at her even more evidently as time went by.

"Yeah, about that, I'm just going to go to the room and change. My mom left me clothes there." She approached the receptionist with a polite smile and requested the room keys, wanting to get away from her aunt as quickly as possible.

"Ah, yes. It's a real shame your mother couldn't stay for the dinner party. Your dad said he's on his way, though." Even though her tone remained dull, Seulgi knew that her aunt was far from being upset about her mom's absence. Her parent's families had never gotten along with each other. In truth, Seulgi was just attending this dinner because her dad had asked her to, since he couldn't be there himself. Not that her aunt seemed aware that her dad would not be coming, and she didn't feel like sharing the information.

"Sure." After filling the reservations documents, Seulgi took the cardkeys and gave her aunt a quick bow. "I won't take long."

"You better."

 

 

After a few awkward encounters with snob rich people giving her weird looks, Seulgi finally reached the elevator. Once it reached her floor, she pushed the button with unnecessary force, as if it would make it go faster.

Luck seemed to be far from being on her side, since in less than a few seconds, the elevator stopped at the fifth floor. In golden letters under the button, it said 'Meeting & Events'. Great, now some important international businessman or something would see her in a Pooh Bear costume.

When the elevator doors opened, it revealed to be something far worse than some rich foreign. Seulgi stared at the person in front of her as she felt open in awe.

"You?!"

Mino had been distractedly typing away on his phone when he heard a feminine voice squeal in shock. Thinking it was probably some fan who had recognized him, he took his precious time in looking away from his phone's screen. When his eyes met a figure wearing a Pooh Bear's costume before him, it took a split second to recognize her face. Oh, the sweet ironies of life.

He tried to hold back his laughter with a cough, which failed tremendously, since in the next second he was already holding onto his sides and loudly laughing while holding onto the elevator's door, refraining it from closing.

The last thing Seulgi wanted was to meet him in there, out of all places and situations, but she didn't want more people to witness her sulking face in that costume while he openly mocked her, so before his laughter could cause a scene, she roughly pushed him inside the elevator so the doors could finally close.

"I'm sorry, It's just-" He couldn't even finish his sentence since his laughter had yet to cease. Seulgi could spot the corner of his eyes sparkling with tears. Damn, did she look that ridiculous? Or was he just feeling pleasure in finding her in such a ridiculous state?

In all honesty, she had forgotten all about his existence in the past few days. The last thing he had sent her on Kakao was a message saying to check out Epik High's new music video and spot him in there. She had made sure to ignore it and not reply, but then the lack of his constant annoying messages had truly made her notifications seem empty as she found herself checking it once in a while. Not that she would ever admit that.

"What are you doing here? Are you stalking me?" She realized the silly nature of her question as she analyzed him closely. He was wearing a black suit and looked extremely polished with his hair sleeked back. The diamond earring gave him a boyish charm and the strong smell of his cologne spread around, making her nose itch.

"Sure, your highness. It's not like I have anything better to do with my time." He wiped his eyes and finally looked at her. "What are you wearing? Is this part of Red Velour's new concept?"

"Red Velvet!" She corrected him. "What about your Loser group?"

"Doing just fine. Actually, that's the reason I'm here-"

"Never mind, I don't care! Don't talk to me." She stepped as far away from his as possible, trying to avoid inhaling the strong scent any longer. That proved to be an impossible mission. The way he was towering over her short stature didn't help to ease the situation, either.

They remained in silence for a pregnant pause as the elevator kept riding to the tenth floor, where her room was located. There was not even background classical music to shadow the awkward tension, which made Mino clear his throat.

"So...Winnie-the-Pooh, uh?" She took a deep breath and waited for whatever mockery he had in store for her. "I never thought I'd actually meet you in person...I'm a great fan of yours, you see. Just don't tell anyone, that would ruin my image."

Seulgi let his words sink as she felt her lips curve into a tiny smile and huffed air through her nose as she tried to contain a giggle. Even though he could barely see her face in that costume, he still looked towards her way with a surprised expression.

"Wait, are my ears deceiving me or did you just laugh at my joke?" Still not looking at him, she could only hear the hint of amusement in his voice. He almost sounded proud of himself.

She scoffed as the elevator finally reached her floor. "Don't be stupid."

Without looking back, she quickly stepped outside and started to look for her room, fully ignoring any looks she might have received along the way, especially the one coming from Mino, silently watching her every step until the elevator doors closed once again.

 

 

After mindlessly walking around the endless corridors, Seulgi finally found her room.

Carelessly, she opened the door with the keycard and felt herself drown in awe for what seemed to be the thousandth time that night alone.

The room was far bigger than her own in Red Velvet's dorm and was decorated in white, brown and shades of yellow and gold. Opening the door to the marble bathroom, she felt herself release a dreamy sigh as she stared at the bathtub. By its side, there was a tray filled with colorful macaroons accompanied by a bottle of champagne and a mini TV led on the wall. Is this what heaven looks like?

Seulgi slowly walked towards the King-sized bed in the centre of the room and felt her bo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter