2. Rookie

Runaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

 

chapter two; rookie.

 

Seulgi took an exaggerated deep breath as she stepped inside the familiar coffee shop. She normally wouldn't do that if there were people around, but it was 5 am on a Thursday, plus the only people in the place was a couple of businessmen and women starting their work day earlier, and Mr. Jung, the friendly old man who ran the shop. Not even his cute son, who usually helped him, was around to witness her silly display, but Seulgi truly didn't care at the moment. The smell of coffee and freshly baked croissants was too strong for her to worry about getting embarrassed.

She neared the counter and greeted Mr. Jung, who looked as lively as ever, already telling her all about his new cake recipe. That's when Seulgi realized it had been a while since she had been there. Her debut and the promotions had distracted her completely from her "normal" routine and it seemed as if time had flew by in a blink. Gone were the days where she could come have a small talk with Mr. Jung at daylight.

Seulgi studied the counter displaying different kinds of sweets and snacks, but only ordered a cappuccino with cream. The company's nutritionist had given them a light diet in order to keep their weight and energy at their best, or so they say. Seulgi wasn't one to follow such orders in a narrow fashion, but she also couldn't risk gaining a few pounds now. To be honest, she wasn't really concerned about it either, she just didn't feel like eating, which made the old man look at her in concern.

"Are you not even going to try my new carrot cake? I even dedicated it to you, and let me tell you, it was the most ordered dish of the week. I think your charms and unique hair helped boost up the sales." Seulgi laughed at his joke while unconsciously running her hand though her locks. "Happiness" promotions had ended recently and her hair was already dyed back to its original color, since the photo shoot for the newest single "Be Natural" would start in a few hours.

"I'd love to know what the fuss is about, it must be delicious." She mused for a moment. "But I'm not particularly in a good mood, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it the fullest. Save me a piece for next time." She placed the right amount of money for her drink and, not wanting to give him extra work, patiently waited by the counter as he went to make her order.

As she looked around, Seulgi noticed that her usual spot located at the very corner was already taken. It wasn't truly odd, but still, it was extremely early in the morning, and the guy sitting there didn't particularly look like a businessman trying to get work done.

Noticing where her gaze landed, Mr. Jung smiled at her.

"The kid over there is a singer just like you. A different kind of singer, but still a singer nonetheless. I think you two might get along." He said while fixing her a cup of cappuccino and a slice of the carrot cake.

Seulgi frowned curiously. Could he possibly be an idol as well? She couldn't recognize him at all, but the cap he was wearing wasn't helping.

As if feeling the weight of her stare, the guy raised his head and caught her in the act, making her quickly look away.

"Would that be all, Seulgi?" Mr. Jung smiled while Seulgi sighed at his stubbornness for getting her a piece of the carrot cake.

"Yes, just let me get my wallet."

"Oh, no. The cake is on the house. Only the best for the beautiful, talented and now famous Seulgi. It seems like it was just yesterday when you were complaining about how hard it is to dance all day." He faked an exaggerated sigh and they both laughed in union.

"Just face it, you really miss hearing all about my trainee problems." She took the plate with the cup and gave him a last smile before finding somewhere to sit.

She almost went to somewhere close to the windows, but decided against it as she neared the corner and sat in the place near the guy sitting in her precious usual spot.

The only background noise that could be heard was coming from the led TV in the wall, already airing the morning local news. Not even the business folks were chatty that day, everyone around seemed busy. Even the guy next to her seemed to be far away, as he looked distractedly at his notebook and twirled a pen in his fingers.

As Seulgi took a closer look at her food, she noticed a small note written in chocolate syrup in the corner of the plate.

Red Velvet fighting ~ ♡

She smiled big before shaking her head. Silly old man always looking after her.

"A true charmer."

"Excuse me?" She looked at the guy sitting at the table besides her, realizing he had taken the cap off, showing his messy dark hair.

"The old man." He tilted his chin towards Mr. Jung, who was busy reading the newspaper. "He always knows how to please the female customers. I've been trying to know his secret for a long time."

Seulgi remained silent as she could only concentrate in his deep voice. It was extremely smooth, not the usual rough tone, but still very manly, matching the traces of his face. He wasn't the "pretty" handsome type she usually saw at SM, but he had a very unique charm. Seulgi eagerly welcomed the change for once.

Noticing how he had stopped talking, she smiled politely and nodded her head, not having heard what he previously said.

"What's your name?" Now, that she had clearly heard.

Before getting into an internal conflict in whether it was wise to tell him her name or not, she decided to go for an easier route. "Why don't you tell me yours first?"

Instead of an answer, she only received a silent laugh from him, as if what she said had been some inside joke.

"It's okay, you don't need to fake it." What the hell is he talking about?

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Come on, you don't need to pretend you don't know who I am, It's alright." He said with a cheeky grin.

"Why are you so overly confident that I know who you are? If anything, you should know who I am." Seulgi was already fuming at him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter