Part 9

The soul sweeper

Chris’  sharp scream opened wide Taeyang’s eyes. The first image he saw was a overwhelmed Chris, fighting for her life. His fists clenched and heavily breathed several times. He checked his position, then he suddenly pulled his right arm which was being held by only one rotten hand, and he eagerly hit it on the gate’s bars until its owner fell numb. He turned towards the other dead bodies holding his arm glued to the iron bars. He dipt his free hand between them and grabbed the hair of one of them. He froze and looked at her for a while – it was the girl he saw on the newspaper just a couple of days ago, the one that died in her sleep.

“I’m so sorry!” he rushed to say and hit her face against the bars until she let go of him. The remaining one wasn’t a problem anymore. After he knocked him too, he jumped on SeungRi .

 

For a couple of seconds, JiYong felt his heart overwhelmed with joy, but his friend’s voice cut it.

“Hyung!” SeungRi screamed while the sweeper rose him one feet up in the air. Without premeditating his moves, fearing that it might read his minds, he dart at the sweeper’s besom. Hr grabbed it with both hands and pulled it away. A soft dust turned everything numb. Even though times seemed to have stopped, after the dust dispersed, Ji smiled victorious to the new golden scythe he was now holding up above his head. In one powerful blow he cut SeungRi’s chains away and some of the most fortunate who stood in its blade’s path. All of the silent souls found their tongues again and their distorted faces began begging for freedom and crowded to catch the scythe as Ji threw it right in the middle.

 

Daesung stopped, almost getting knocked down by SeungHyung. They widened their eyes watching the long river it appeared in their faces. It branched from left to right as far as they could see, but its other  side didn’t looked that far away, it just had a huge calmness air flowing around.

“Now what?...” Dae’s heartsick  whisper barely came out.

“No idea…” SeungHyung answered shrugging.

The water seemed unbelievably clear, and yet they couldn’t see its bottom.

“I ain’t getting in there…” Dae whispered again when he leaned a little to check it more closely.  He took a wrong step and an almost burnt skull creaked his shows. He quickly stepped back once and kicked it in fear. As soon as it the water, the skull was brought back to life jumping like a fish asking for help on a really high pitch voice.  They both fell on the ground, pushing back the air with their feet in a desperate attempt to troop away from the water’s edge.

A big explosion caught their eyes.

“What the hell have you done?!” SeungHyun forgot about the fact that they had to keep it quiet and he snapped a little too loud.  He couldn’t wait for his answer for the blast look to have casted loose the volcano behind them. The ground began shaking and soon the ash on it swallowed their hands up to their wrist. They both screamed and jumped up in their feet. The trembling ash covered their feet up to their ankles. They yelled again and started running. After just a few steps SeungHyung grabbed Dae’s neck-collar to make him stop and pointed to the behemoth closing in. They shifted directions and choose to run beside the river.

“There must be a bridge here somewhere…” Dae said turning his voice in a long echo.

“So what? You wanna cross it to THE OTHER SIDE?!” SeungHyun tuned up on the last words.

“We ARE on the other side!” Dae snapped back, increasing his speed.

“W… what?...” SeungHyun stopped willing to ask for a prove for his friend’s words, but the ash  quickly covering his ankles changed his mind and he followed dae without any other words.

 

Taeyang rushed to stop SeungRi attaking Chris but he couldn’t really anticipate that the both of them will collapse to the ground.

“What the…” he sat up slowly, rubbing his forehead.

SeungRi’s body was just like Ji’s, as it was made out of cloth. He rushed to search for its heart beat and his face brightened up. He turned to his lover to give the good news, but he realised she wasn’t quite free yet. He knocked the living corpses between the bars and quickly hugged herm gliding on the ground.

“It’s ok, now! It’s ok…” he said kissing her, her hair. He rested his forehead on her shoulder for a while, panting softly.  The noise of the falling iron gates flung them back on their feet.

“Ok… my bad! It’s not over yet” he yelled grabbing Chris’ hand, running away from the dosens of rotten corpes who broke down the cemetery gates.

“How do we stop them?!… “ Chris asked exhausted.