N i g h t m a r e s .

The Assassin's Love Story.

Hera's Side.

It's been a month. A month of excitement, gratitude and just pure happiness. No intensive physical trainings, no killing methods, no throwing daggers or shooting targets with a handgun. Just pure happiness.

Dongwoo and Sungyeol are like the brothers I never have. Or do I have brothers? That's all in the past now; a past that I could never remember.

Sunggyu is like an elder brother that takes care of me, like a family should.

And Hoya. Charming, gentle Hoya. Who brings me breakfast in bed when I'm having my frequent migranes, who would stay up and talk with me all night on nights when I couldn't sleep, who smiles like he's seeing something precious for the first time whenever he succeeded in making me smile.

But one thing I'm aware of- they are mysterious. I don't know what they work as, but they are always missing on random times of day either early morning or late night for work. Sometimes they are gone for a few days and when they come back, they always look exhausted. When I asked them, they simply said they worked odd jobs and changed the topics. But who am I to judge; I'm an assassin. Nothing they do could be worse than what I do.

 

"Run!"

Mum shouted at me, over and over.

'Run, Hera!"

I took one final glance at my house, now completely engulfed in flames, along with every other houses in my town. I watched as my mother was by flames, her body pinned to the ground by the fallen concrete ceiling tiles. I could hear screams from my neighbours, from my friends, from the random people that always greeted me as I passed them even though we don't know each other's first names. My town, burned to the ground. Along with the people I know and cared for. Gone.

I ran as fast as my feet could take me. For the first time ever, I let my instincts- my 'gifts' take over. I surpressed my 'gifts' my whole life because I know people think it's strange. That a normal girl could not possibly run that fast, climb that high, be that strong. It was just inhumanly possible, and I know it too. But right now, I let my surpressed instincts take over and I ran, faster than any human could, away from the flames as they eat away my life as I know it.

When I think I'd ran a safe distance away from the fire and the chaos, I was on the hill watching my town burn. Then a sudden movement caught me off guard. I turned back and it was him; the mysterious man that, I know, is responsible for the fire and death of everyone I care about.

His eyes are dark and impassive, almost inhuman. I took a closer look at him, the murderer, at his face--

 

'Hera!"

I opened my eyes groggily.

"Hera! I'm here."

And laid my eyes on Hoya. He had his hands on my shoulders, shaking me. Then I noticed that I'm all sweaty and hot.

When I had awaken, Hoya calmed down and asked me gently, 'is it the nightmares again?"

I nodded weakly. The nightmares. I'd always had them, the same dream over and over again, revealing a bit more each time. The first nightmare; I watched until my mother was pinned to the grounf and engulfed in flames. This time, I'd managed to watch until I'd almost seen the murderer's face.

I know, somehow, that these dreams are real. They are bits and pieces of my past, hidden somewhere in the back of my mind, shown to me through fragments of a dream. Though these nightmares haunt me, I know I had to endure them. Because I need to know who the murderer is.

"It's alright. I'm here," Hoya tucked strands of my hair behind my ear, and rested his hand on my cheek. His voice, his gentle touch, just the sight of him calmed me down immediately. It's like seeing light in the end of a tunnel after a long, dreadful darkness.

"I saw my mother die," I whimpered.

"It's just a dream. You'll be alright," Hoya looked at me with an expression I couldn't fathom. All I could see was the parts of his face where the moonlight lit him, against the stark darkness. I must have woken him up with my trashing and screaming in the middle of the night again.

"And I almost saw the murderer," my voice almost betrayed me, I almost choked on my tears. But I won't cry, I'm too strong for that.

Hoya froze for a while. Then, he continued to caress my cheek with his thumb. "Go to sleep. I'm here now."

I'm here now.

These words could never have sounded so promising, if they were to come out from anyone else's lips other than Hoya's.

"I'll keep you safe," he whispered again, hand lightly caressing my cheek, as light as a feather.

His eyes rest on me, taking me in. I saw just how tired he is then- the bags under his eyes. Then I felt incredibly guilty for keeping him up when he should be taking a much needed rest. But I thought of sleeping alone, going back to the nightmares, and I shuddered. I could not face seeing my mother dying in front of me, again and again. I could not face being so close to the murderer, the person responsible for how broken I am now, but not being able to see his face. He remained a mystery.

That's when I noticed I'd hold Hoya's gaze too long to be friendly. But Hoya doesn't bulge, he simply caressed my cheeks and played with my hair. Being so close to Hoya, alone together in complete darkness. It's always been this way with Hoya- he makes me feel all warm and tingly inside, with his touch, with the sound of his voice, and with his precious smile. But I'd always reminded myself not to get too attached to him- because it could never work out. I'm an assassin and I could never afford to be in love. Neither does Hoya deserve to date an assassin; he deserved a nice, normal girl who doesn't know how to kill.

But each day, I feel myself growing fonder and fonder of him. And with the way he looked at me, like I'm the most precious and yet intriguing thing in the world, I think he felt it too. And that excites me and scares me at the same time.

Despite it all, for the last time, I asked "Stay with me?"

"As long as you want me," he whispered.

 

That night I slept soundly, with no nightmares as I felt my fingers entwined in Hoya's, his hand in my hair and sometimes caressing my face carefully, as if I'm fragile.

Also that night, I realized that Hoya is too good to me. Too good for me; an assassin. If he knows that I'm an assassin, and also an Infinite, he'll be freaked out. I'm a freak of nature. Isn't that what happened to Woohyun, Sungjong and Myungsoo? They were rejected from society, who deemed them as freaks. I dread to think of what Hoya would think of me if he finds out what I really am.

Hoya is everything nice and warm with the right touch of manliness and chivalry. Everything I don't deserve. I don't deserve his kindness, or any of Sunggyu, Dongwoo and Sungyeol's kindness either. I'm a lowly assassin; that's what I was borned to be.

That night I made up my mind to leave. To leave all of them, because I know I am getting too attached to them; and that I might harm them if the Trackers found me here with them. So I decided to leave.

 

The next morning at about 6 in the morning, Hoya was gone. He left a note on my table.

 

Had to leave for work, didn't want to wake you.

I won't be long, I promise. See you soon.

-HY.

 

This is going well. I'm afraid I might change my mind about leaving when I see Hoya but now that he's gone, there's nothing stopping me.

Then I heard a rustling sound from outside. My head quickly jerked towards the direction of the sound, outside my window. It was still dark, but my eyes adjusted quickly.

That's when I see him, waiting for me outside the window.

Myungsoo.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Over 200 subscribers already! Yay :)

Keep those comments coming :D