Chapter 2

I Was Too Arrogant

 

 

 

During the Physics class, I couldn’t concentrate anymore. I couldn’t comprehend a single thing about the formulas Mr. Cho scribbled on the whiteboard. He was blabbering something about gravity and for real, the way he teaches us was so boring that most of the students in the class were already snoring.

Mr. Cho was about to scribble something else on the whiteboard when Jongin abruptly stood up and asked for a permission to go to the restroom. He walked past my desk and a paper landed on my desk afterwards. It was most likely from him. I was sure it felt accidentally.

I pretended like nothing happened at first but then I noticed that Jongin was looking at me. He was trying to tell me something. Was it about the paper?

I took it and opened it to find that the paper was actually for me. It was surprising that Jongin somehow wanted to communicate with me after everything that had happened between us.

Come with me… now. Don’t ignore. We need to talk.

I crumpled and placed it in the drawer of my desk. I waited for a couple of minutes, so that no one would notice that I was going to follow Jongin. I then stood up and did just like what Jongin did back then. Mr. Cho nodded, giving me a permission to leave.

As I walked out of the classroom, I had no idea where to go. Jongin didn’t mention where he’d be waiting for me too. So, I decided to just go to the restroom… yes, men’s restroom.

 

I was about to sit on the bench in front of the men’s restroom when someone abruptly pulled my hand, making me shout in surprise. I can say I didn’t disturb the lessons since I didn’t shout that loud… or at least not loud enough for everyone in the school to hear.

I spun around to find that it was Jongin who did so just now. I sighed heavily and rolled my eyes in disgust. He was such a problematic person.

“I don’t understand. What do you mean by ruining someone else’s life?” Jongin uttered. I looked up to look him in the eyes and I got to admit that his stare somehow sent shivers down my spine.

How I missed that stare... oh crap! I should forget him!

“What?” I replied, making him frown.

“You heard me.” I sighed.

“Look… Jongin, I’m trying to accept the fact that you dumped me and now you’re here talking to me. Can you tell me what more you want from me? If you meet me now just because you want to embarrass me again, please stop it. I’m not going to disturb your life anymore. I’ll forget you. I’ll disappear from your life… and you’ll be happy. Can you just be cooperative to make that happen?” I panted as I’d done saying so. I just realized I was holding my breath when I said so.

“No,” I frowned. W-what? “No, I will never be cooperative. Minha, please don’t accept the fact that I dumped you. Just don’t accept it.” His words left me speechless. What does he mean by that?

He was the one that dumped me. He should’ve been glad that I was going to forget him and disappear from his life.

“You won’t understand why I dumped you. So just don’t.” As he said so, he left, leaving me behind dumbfounded.

I was at loss of words. Was I dreaming when he said so? Does he even have a reason to dump me? Of course! His reason was because he didn’t want me. I wasn’t as beautiful as Jinah. My body looked nothing special like Jinah’s.

That was his reason, wasn’t that? Do I need to understand? I was trying to be understanding and now he was confusing me again.

I could never understand Jongin. He just has so many mysteries that he became a mystery too.

 

I made my way going back to the classroom and as I entered the classroom, I noticed that Jongin wasn’t there. He didn’t come back to the classroom. Where did he go though?

I shook my head to snap me out of my thoughts about Jongin. Minji was eyeing me suspiciously now. She must suspect something since I went out of the classroom after Jongin. As I sat on my seat, Baekhyun asked, “Where did you go? Mr. Cho asked me just now.”

I turned to look at him and smiled slightly at him, trying to find good excuse so that he wouldn’t suspect me like Minji did.

“I’m going to the restroom, of course.” I said casually. Thanks to my adrenal glands for not depleting too many hormones. I know Baekhyun didn’t buy it upon looking at his expression. He looked worried.

“Minha… I know it. Just tell me what you did with Jongin just now.” I widened my eyes and looked down, biting my lip, afterwards. Baekhyun was staring at me and I could feel that he really wanted a reply from me. Should I just tell him what happened?

“Baekhyun, I didn’t meet him. It was just coincidence that we both left the classroom.” Baekhyun sighed and leaned against his chair. His eyes didn’t leave me.

“I’ll make you tell me that… someday.”

 

My hands felt so numb. I felt like passing out right now. Again, Baekhyun was staring at me and was he smiling?

I turned to look at him and he was still smiling. Yes, he smiled. Why was he smiling when I was here, agonizing because of this stupid punishment? To make it worse, it was because of him too!

“I’m sorry about just now… and of course, this punishment.” I sighed and shook my head, faking a smile while doing so. He was just worried because he was my best friend. That’s what a friend’s supposed to do, right?

“Three… two… one…”

The bell rang and Baekhyun grinned. He looked like a 5 year old now and to say that he didn’t look cute right now was definitely a lie. I felt like pinching his cheeks right now like what he did to me when we were younger.

“Come on, time to go home.” I nodded and we went back to the classroom to take our things and left for home.

I decided to go to the library first but since Baekhyun decided to go back home together with me today, I cancelled my intention. Minji has a meeting this afternoon that she couldn’t join me… I mean, join us to go back home together.

She had already told me that she would be busy for a couple of days since her club was going to have a trip to Busan. She said I can join her but I hadn’t told her about that yet. I don’t think my mom would let me join her though.

 

Baekhyun and I bowed to the driver as we arrived at our destination. That bus driver knew me well since I ride the bus every day, not to mention Baekhyun too.

I noticed that Baekhyun was staring at me when we were walking, going to my house. Baekhyun’s house was just feet away from my house and he decided to send me to my house first. I’d already told him that I could go home on my own but he still insisted to send me until we’re right in front of the door of my house.

I wasn’t going to protest. I know he would always win.

Finally, we arrived at my house. I spun around and thanked him. He nodded his head afterwards. I was about to open the door of my house when Baekhyun called my name.

I turned around just to have his lips landed on my right cheek. “Good night… and remember, you still have to hang out with us again tomorrow.”

Then he left. He left as if nothing happened – as if that kiss was normal between best friends. Was that really normal or was I exaggerating?

 

 


If you notice, there's a line from the novel Paper Towns...