Chapter 3

I Was Too Arrogant

 

 

 

Just when I was about to open the door that I realized that mom didn’t leave me the keys into my house. She wasn’t home either. Doyoung, on the other hand, joined his class to a trip to Jeju Island for a week. Was I locked out of my house?

I tried looking around, hoping that Baekhyun was still around but he was nowhere to be seen. Seconds ago Baekhyun kissed me on the cheek and now I was squatting, hugging myself as tight as I can due to the coldness.

“Are you just going to wait until you freeze?” Someone asked, making me jump slightly in surprise. I looked up to find that it was Baekhyun. Was it really him? Or was it ghost? I shook my head to snap me out of my ridiculous thoughts about Baekhyun being a ghost. I chuckled mentally after remembering the thoughts.

Baekhyun must’ve noticed it since he looked confused right now. I shook my head and smiled wider at him. He smiled as well and of course, his smile was beautiful than mine. He was beautiful after all.

“Come on. It’d be better for you to sleep with me—”

“What?” I snapped, making him chuckle slightly.

“N-no, I mean… follow me to go back home and sleep over at my house.” I grinned. Baekhyun’s cheeks were extremely red right now. He almost looked like a tomato. He looked away, trying to avoid my eyes.

“Sure,” I answered and Baekhyun turned to look at me again. I know he was happy. Maybe he missed our moments back then when I always went to sleep over at his house. His mom was so nice. She even cooked special dishes since I was there.

 

Like I said, Baekhyun’s house was just feet away from my house but the road to his house was too dark that I was scared to go alone. If Baekhyun wasn’t here, I would not be here too. I’d rather wait in front of my house for my mom.

Baekhyun put the key into its keyhole and he grinned as he successfully unlocked the door. He gestured me to get into the house by his right hand and I bowed slightly, thanking him. I somehow felt like a princess now.

Baekhyun closed the door and as we turned around, we saw Baekhyun’s step-mother, standing on the lowest staircase. I noticed that Baekhyun’s expression has changed. I heard that his relationship with his step-mother was bad. Of course it was! His step-mother was a selfish witch!

“It’s a new girl.” She said. Her voice was loud enough that it echoed throughout the house. I looked at Baekhyun and he was grasping his hand. This wasn’t good. I don’t want to see them argue right in front of me. It’s enough to just watch it once in a lifetime.

“Baekhyun, I don’t want any guest. Send her back to her home.” Her serious expression sent shivers down my spine. The way Baekhyun was looking at her; I know it was disgusting. She was disgusting to him.

 

Baekhyun slipped his hand into mine and we walked out of the house afterwards. Baekhyun was mad and I know so well that it wasn’t good to be with him when he was mad. He can do whatever he wants and no one could protest.

“Where are we going?”I dared myself to ask. Baekhyun stopped and turned to face me. He came closer to me, making me step backwards. He gripped my shoulders and looked me straight into his eyes. Just then when I thought he was going to kiss me again, tears welled up his eyes.

He cried hardly like a 5 month old baby as he hugged me. My hands somehow made their way patting Baekhyun’s back.

“I miss mom.” He whispered. I patted his back repeatedly and sighed, remembering back the day of his mom’s funeral. Everyone was sad besides his step-mother. She was the murderer after all.

But there was no proof, so Baekhyun couldn’t do anything to prove people that she was a murderer. All of the people thought Baekhyun’s mom committed suicide. His dad, as well, thought so. Baekhyun had tried to tell them the truth but he was still young at that time. Who would believe when a 7 year old tell them the truth?

 

I heard someone clearing throat. Baekhyun and I immediately broke the hug and I spun around to find that it was Minji. She was wearing a confused expression.

“What happened?” She asked, her voice sounded shaky. I turned to look at Baekhyun and he was wiping his tears as he looked down.

“Like always, Baekhyun cried.” Minji sighed and looked at Baekhyun who was now looking down, sniffing.

From the way she was looking at Baekhyun, I know she was worried. Baekhyun and Minji looked so cute together. I got to admit that I really ship them being a couple.

“Oh, by the way, Minji, can I sleep over at your house? I am locked out of my house.” Minji nodded immediately. She always liked it when I slept over at her house. We could chatter until we fall asleep.

“Can I… too?” Baekhyun asked. Minji and I widened our eyes and looked at Baekhyun, surprised by his question.

“B-but Baek…”

“Please. I don’t think I can meet my step-mother for today.” Minji sighed. She came closer and patted Baekhyun’s right shoulder hesitatingly.

“Sure… let’s go.”

 

Baekhyun will be sleeping in the guest room while I will be sleeping with Minji in her bedroom. Minji and I were sitting on her bed and I had to tell Minji all of the things that had happened that caused Baekhyun to cry.

Minji even told me that she was slightly jealous just now. We just end up laughing due to awkwardness. It was funny how she could get jealous. Baekhyun and I are nothing more than just best friends. Not all best friends would be life partners, right?

I felt uncomfortable. Did it come already?

I rushed to the bathroom in Minji’s room to check on whether I was on my period or not. Oh no; it came. I asked Minji about whether she had the sanitary pad or not but unfortunately, she didn’t. I had no choice but to go to the convenient store to buy it.

I couldn’t hear anything from the guest room. Maybe Baekhyun was already sleeping. He looked tired just now, so I don’t think that that was possible he had already drifted off to sleep. Minji was too lazy to accompany. She said she’ll just be watching over me through the window of her room.

Since the convenient store was just opposite of Minji’s house, I had no problem to go there.

 

Another hand landed on my hand and I looked up to find that it was someone I didn’t expect at all. Of course, I wouldn’t expect since this person is a boy yet he was about to take the sanitary pad I was about to take.

“Jongin, why are you—”

“It’s for my sister.” He said immediately. I noticed that his cheeks were getting red. I chuckled mentally yet I kept my poker face on. I didn’t want him to notice that I was smiling because of him.

I looked at our hands. His hand was still on mine.

 

“Minha, I miss us.”

Was I supposed to be glad? Why was I suddenly feeling glad that he missed our relationship, that he missed me?

If only he didn’t be so cruel back then, I would answer already.

I miss us too.