FIVE

Innocence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Updating again!! The main plot line is here~

 

Taking a nap on a Sunday afternoon had become part of my routine since we'd arrived in London, the time I spent in college during the week tired me out, especially considering the amount of catching up I had to do. I'd ended up attending a fancy sounding independent college on a scholarship basis, they were more than happy to let me in when they discovered I could speak four languages fluently.I liked it there but after years away from education the constant academic lifestyle was draining, I was the eldest student there and I felt like I stood out like a sore thumb, my refusal to dress up like the other students had me all but ostracized for my first year. In my second I met Emily, a transfer student from another college in Manchester. It was one of my few friends that disrupted my treasured alone time by turning up to the townhouse uninvited. I all but cried when I was forced to lift myself from the comfy corner of the sofa I'd nestled in to so I could answer the door. Emily barged into the space, throwing her arms around me in the process as she squealed excitedly. 

'Jesus Christ, Em. Could you not?' I groaned, running my hands through my red hair absently. I pulled at some knots in the tangled tresses as Emily kicked of her shoes and strolled through into my kitchen, calling her half-asses apology over her shoulder. With a heavy, lamenting sigh to the loss of my nap I trailed after her, grabbing a carton of ice cream from the bottom drawer of the freezer and two spoons from the drawer as I went. 

'Okay, what's going on?' I asked, flopping down onto the couch next to her, handing her a spoon. 

'You will never believe what has happened.' She replied, bouncing up and down on her knees. 

'I imagine not.' I sighed, scraping a large spoon of vanilla ice cream from the tub and shoving it into my mouth.

'Areum.' 

'Hm?'

'I met a boy.' Emily cried, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me enthusiastically. 

'Marvelous, bloody marvelous. let me call the BBC.' I sighed, working my way through the next spoonful of ice cream.

'Areum!' She wailed dramatically, flopping down onto my lap and nearly sending the ice cream flying. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail and her face was completely bare. 

'I suppose you met him at the gym?' I suggested weakly and Emily all but fell off the couch in her giddiness.

'I did! He's amazing! He's got these muscles that just-' The sound of the house phone in hallway cut Emily off abruptly.

'Hold that thought, Em. It could be important.' I smiled at my friend before slipping away, ignoring her childish pouting.

Pulling the phone away from the receiver gently I waited a second before greeting the caller with a bright 'Hello, who is it?' Before all but dropping the phone in complete disbelief.

'Lee Taemin, I have been trying to contact you for weeks!' I yelled suddenly in Korean, cutting the older male off as he started to speak. 

'I know and I'm sorry-' 

'You think apologizing is going to help?' I yelled before taking a deep breath to calm myself. 'I have been worried sick trying to contact you!' 

'I know, I've been organising everything, I promise! Are you sure you're ready to come home?' Taemin asked and the line crackled as I mulled his question over. 

'No, I'm not sure. But I miss it.' I sighed, leaning my shoulder against the wall.

'Okay. I've arranged for the apartment like you asked, I've also made sure you'll have full access to the items saved from the fire and all the old paperwork we found at the office.'

'What paperwork?' I asked tiredly, running a hand through my hair. I heard the sound of papers rustling on the other end of the line.

'Your mother's sketch books and designs, looks like figures from your father's company as well, nothing much really.'

'Can you have a look at them? I don't think I'll be much good.' Taemin chuckled at my groggy words. 

'I'll send you your mother's stuff anyway, she'd want you to have it.' Taemin sighed.

'Sure, thanks.' 

'Have you told anyone you're going yet?' Taemin asked softly and I glanced over at the doorway, I knew Emily would be curled up on my sofa watching telly and eating all the ice cream by now. 

'There's only one person who really needs to know...' I trailed.

'Emily, I assume.' 

'Yeah...' 

'It's amazing that your little team of vagabonds have agreed to accompany you.' Taemin slurred derisively and I openly laughed, his distaste for the guys had only increased as time went by. 

'Yeah, yeah. I pay them well.' I chuckled and Taemin made an off-hand comment about me paying them 'too-much' in his opinion. 

I'd barely hung up the phone before Emily peeked round the doorway, a wide smile on her face and an empty tub of ice cream in her hand. 

'Who was that?' She asked, her eyes were wide and brown, filled with fondeness as I smile at her warmly.

'A friend from back home.' I supplied and she nodded, satisfied with my response.

'Cool. You got anymore ice cream?' 

'Yeah. Bottom drawer.' Emily nodded happily before wandering over to the freezer and pulling an unopened tub of mint choc chip out.

'Areum?' Em's voice was guarded, surprisingly serious. 

'Em?' I asked, glancing at her nervously.

'What aren't you telling me?' She asked, her soft voice carried through the kitchen air and I felt my breath hitch in my throat. She waited in silence, a new tub of ice cream in her hand as she stared me down.

'I'm going home. This winter.' I focused on a spot on the wooden floor, trying my hardest to avoid Emily's searching gaze. 

'Home as in South Korea?'

'Yeah.' I mumbled.

'When are you coming back?'I could feel Emily's eyes burning into mine. I couldn't answer so instead I just shook my head, willing the horrible sensation in the pit of my stomach to go away. A warm pair of arms wrapped round me, enveloping me in their sturdy hold. The soft chill from the tub of ice cream radiated into my shirt but I ignored it, choosing instead to pull Emily into a hug as well. 

'You idiot! Why didn't you tell me sooner! We have so much to do!' She wailed and I couldn't help but laugh.

'I'm sorry, Em.' I muttered, embarrassed at my friends ridiculous sobbing.

'So you should b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter