THREE

Innocence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Three is up, sorry it's taken me so long to update!! I've been busy with assessments at University and I've only just got a break, plus my boyfriend and I broke up over Christmas so I haven't been in the best shape. But I'm feeling much better and I'm hoping to start updating more regularly again!

Sorry for the long wait!!~ ><

 

 

'Morning, Fei!' I called happily as I stepped into the quiet reception of Dr. Henry Lau's private practice. The walls were shades of pale green and cream, filled in with large abstract paintings and potted plants. A pretty receptionist with long brown hair glanced up excitedly as I walked in, putting aside the bottle of polish she was painting her nails with. I slipped off my gloves, blowing warm air into my hands as I shuffled into the warm room.

'Morning, Sweetie. Are you here to see Dr. Lau?' Fei asked, her fingers resting on her computer keyboard as she smiled up at me. 

'Yeah, I have an appointment.' I called, as I leant gently on her desk.

'Yes, you do! Go right on in!' Fei smiled at me as she tapped away on her computer, pulling up Dr. Lau's schedule for the day. 

'Thanks, Fei.' I grinned at the older woman and took the familiar path behind her desk down the short corridor and into the first door on the left. The room was silent apart from the quiet sound of a clock ticking as I slipped inside without knocking. I noticed Dr. Lau sat behind his desk at the far end of the room before he saw me and coughed a little bit to announce myself, he cocked an eyebrow behind his glassed questioningly before standing quickly to greet me. 

'Hello, Areum. How do you feel today?' I rubbed my hands together gently, avoiding the searching eyes of the doctor opposite me as I warmed my cold fingers. 

'I'm really well, thank you.' With my widest smile I looked up, waving a hand nonchalantly. Dr. Lau traced the action, his warm eyes coloured with concern as I nestled into the comfy armchair.

'Are you cold? I can get you a hot drink if you want.' 

'No, no! I'm good.' Dr. Lau looked up in surprise as I waved my hands quickly, a soft chuckle escaped his mouth as he settled back into his own seat and pulled a large, leather-bound journal from the bookcase next to him. He flicked through the creamy pages with a small crease in his brow, before stopping with a semi-triumphant 'Ah!' when he found the page he was looking for. 

'Well, Areum. In our last session we discussed your attachment to Agent Do.' He started, peering over his desk to seek my approval. 

'Yes, that's right.' I sighed absently, regretting not asking for that hot drink as I tried to warm my hands up by rubbing them against the smooth surface of my jeans. 

'We also started to discuss why you dislike Mr. Lu.' Dr. Lau continued, glancing up at me again. 

'Yep.' I sighed irritably, crossing my legs as I pondered just why I didn't like Luhan. 

'Why is that?' Dr. Lau asked, leaving the book open on his lap as he swiveled in his chair to face me. 

'I'm not entirely sure.' I sighed, shuffling my bare feet across the plush carpet nervously, admiring the bright red polish D.O ha bought me earlier in the week. 

'Well, why don't we start with things Mr. Lu does to annoy you. Is he rude or abrasive toward you?' Dr Lau asked gently as he watched me shuffle my feet with a kind expression lighting up his soft features. 

'He doesn't annoy me.' I protested softly, avoiding Dr. Lau's piercing gaze.

'Well what is it then, Areum?' He prodded gently, flicking a page of the journal.

'Well, he doesn't do anything. He makes breakfast for us, he does the shopping, he cleans the house, he watches television...I even speak Chinese fluently now. We speak it at home...' I trailed of absently as I caught the confused expression pass across my shrinks otherwise pleasant face. 

'Well it seems like he is doing things then, Areum. Quite helpful things.' Dr. Lau reasoned gently as he noted something in the book. 

'Yes, but I can do all of that by myself!' I protested with an exasperated sigh as I turned to face the window in the comfy chair, my desperate attempts to avoid Dr. Lau's searching gaze failed miserably when he closed the book shut in front of him with an audible snap. 

'Areum, I understand that you may not value Mr. Lu as part of your life. You're correct, you can do all the things he does for you now you have recovered, you may be fluent in Chinese but you are still an eighteen year old girl living in a foreign country on her own. Agent Do cannot be expected to look after you constantly. It's selfish of you to assume that you can ask that of him.' Dr. Lau sighed, leaning

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter