ONE

Innocence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I've decided to start right from the start this time round, by giving you a lot more background information and building up toward the action.

This scene is about six months after the murder of Areum's family, she's still in hospital in Korea and is under the care of Lee Taemin her close family friend and lawyer. 

Remember I've completely discarded most of the old plot details, so only the bare bones remain. In fact Taemin is an entirely new addition!

Enjoy the Taemin! ^^

P.S. I've also decided to start writing any additional character chapters from a

3rd person perspective, to keep Areum's voice more consistent. 

 

 

The obnoxious sound of a phone call cut through the air, mixing with the shrill vibrations that were shaking the paper-strewn table. Grumbling heavily a short figure lifted his head from the couch, catching sight of the noisy device a few feet away.

‘Shut up!’ He yelled covering his ears as he sat up and was forced to slump back down, a splitting pain in his head and an uncomfortable dryness in his mouth. As if it heard him the call cut off and the phone stopped moving across the table top. With a loud sigh of relief the man relaxed once more on the couch, shielding his eyes from the sun slanting through the blinds. Just as he was about to slip back into sleep a loud ringing was heard from the hallway, along with a heavy first knocking on the wooden door.

‘I’m not home!’ He yelled hoarsely, groaning as the pain in his temple grew worse. The ringing sounded again and he swore he felt the last of his patience slip away as he heard the voice on the other side of the door to his small, studio apartment.

‘D.O! Get up!’ D.O groaned when he heard his co-workers voice. He was on leave. He wasn’t supposed to be taking visitors. Especially not his boss. 

‘Leave me alone, Suho!’ The man yelled back, but gathered his aching body from the sofa and dragged himself into the hallway. With a brisk tug he yanked his front door open, only to be met with a large bouquet of flowers, shoved right under his nose.

‘I need you to come with me.’ Suho said, as DO choked on a mouthful of petals.

‘I am not going anywhere.’ D.O spluttered, as he batted the roses away from his face, ‘Why do you have flowers? It’s sweet of you but you know I prefer alcohol or guns or chocolate at the very least.’

‘They’re not for you.’ Suho snapped with a roll of his eyes. He scanned the other up and down, catching the stench of alcohol on his clothes and stagnant breath, Suho leant back uncomfortably.

‘What?’ D.O snapped, padding back into the apartment to make himself a cup of coffee.

‘You stink.’ Suho yelled as he slipped of his shoes and followed D.O inside, resting the flowers on the kitchen counter.

‘So? I’m a grown man, Suho. I can drink if I want.’  D.O snapped, eyeing the bright blue light of the boiling kettle.

‘I was more concerned with whom.’ Suho snorted as he eyed the numerous empty bottles of wine cluttering the counter top.

‘So I drink alone. Big deal.’ D.O sighed noncommittally as he poured hot water on instant coffee.

‘It is a big deal.’ Suho sighed, reaching into the cupboard to pull out a tumbler. He wandered over to the fridge and filled the clear, coloured plastic with cool water before pulling the coffee cup from D.O’s hands and replacing it.

‘What do you want, Suho?’ D.O asked, glaring begrudgingly at his coffee Suho now sipped from his place on the kitchen counter.

‘I need you to come with me today.’ Suho said, taking a small sip of the black liquid with a content sigh.

‘Why? I’m on leave, Suho.’ D.O muttered begrudgingly as Suho rolled his eyes again.

‘I’m aware of that. But Lee Taemin has a business proposition he wants to discuss with you.’ D.O nearly choked on his water as he glared suspiciously in Suho’s direction.

‘What the hell does Park Areum’s lawyer want with me?’ D.O asked, rubbing his chest to soothe his coughing.

‘He wouldn’t say, seems like a big deal though.’ Suho shrugged before he pulled a thin envelope from his inner pocket. ‘Read this over and give him a call if you’re interested.’

‘Thought I had to come with you?’ D.O raised an eyebrow questioningly at the suspicious paper.

‘I told him you wouldn’t. He said I should give you this.’ Suho waved his hand and D.O gave a weary sigh reaching forward to carefully take the envelope, holding it up to the light with bleary eyes. It didn’t seem dangerous in any way, but the fact that the Lee Taemin had sent it set the hairs on his neck bristling.

‘I don’t trust him.’ D.O muttered, glancing over at Suho.

‘You don’t have to trust him, apparently it’s just business.’ Suho yawned, before slumping out of the doorway with a half-assed wave over his shoulder. D.O sat in his dingy kitchen for at least an hour, staring emptily at the envelope. Unsure of just how curious he really was. Eventually the burning desire to know just exactly what a rich girl’s lawyer wanted with him got the better of his aching hangover and he slipped a finger inside the crisp paper.

A business card was lay on top of a neatly typed and folded letter, D.O examined its contents wordlessly, unsure as to what exactly Lee Taemin was offering him. Sliding the business card between his fingers D.O slumped lazily to a sea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter